Kawasaki fb460v

Threads
I have a kawasaki fb460v engine on an old john deere 36" walk behind mower I bought it non running. I put clean fuel in it and tried to start it nothing happened I checked spark it gets spark I pulled carb off and cleaned it and I pulled all of the jets out and cleaned them and put it back on tried to start it for round two it fired an ran for a few seconds when I went to throttle it up it died and would not start again there's a adjustment screw on the carb facing the engine I believe it's a air/fuel mixture screw I didn't adjust it or mess with it it's the only thing I can think of does any body know the adjustments for it and how to adjust it some people say the engine has to be running and air cleaner on to properly adjust it or is there something else keeping it from running.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a kawasaki fb460v engine on an old john deere 36" walk behind mower I bought it non running. I put clean fuel in it and tried to start it nothing happened I checked spark it gets spark I pulled carb off and cleaned it and I pulled all of the jets out and cleaned them and put it back on tried to start it for round two it fired an ran for a few seconds when I went to throttle it up it died and would not start again there's a adjustment screw on the carb facing the engine I believe it's a air/fuel mixture screw I didn't adjust it or mess with it it's the only thing I can think of does any body know the adjustments for it and how to adjust it some people say the engine has to be running and air cleaner on to properly adjust it or is there something else keeping it from running.

Have you checked valves? Maybe one is stuck

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
No I haven't what do I have to pull to check it out the head?

"To check your valve clearance you will have to remove the carburetor and locate the oil breather, it's held on with 4 cap head screws. Take the breather out and you will have access to check the valve clearances. Make sure the engine is about 1/4" past TDC when you check the clearance. If they need any adjustments, you will have to remove the valve and grind some off of the valve stem to increase clearances."

Your manual will have your valve clearances. To check if they are stuck do the above but when you are able to see them turn the engine by hand make sure they both move

Threads
Hey guys I finally tore into this motor I really need to get this going so to check If the valve is stuck I pull this cover?

Attachments

• image-2043604502.jpg
    image-2043604502.jpg
    501.5 KB · Views: 25

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, but have you reviewed section six of the manual I posted. Also, be careful and try not to damage the gasket when you remove the cover.

Threads
Yes I pulled the cover and the gasket came right of in one piece thank The Lord I pulled the recoil over and both valves are free I checked the clearance on the valves and it was fine I have no clue what to try now has spark I cleaned the carb fresh fuel it starts and runs for a few seconds than dies and won't start maybe compression??

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes I pulled the cover and the gasket came right of in one piece thank The Lord I pulled the recoil over and both valves are free I checked the clearance on the valves and it was fine I have no clue what to try now has spark I cleaned the carb fresh fuel it starts and runs for a few seconds than dies and won't start maybe compression??

Might need another carb cleaning if you get to start but doesn't keep going seems like fuel. Can run a compression test but I think its fuel