John Deere L120 over heating?

Threads
Hi. I have a John Deere L120. It starts up fine, runs fine but when I actually mow it ends up dying. My back yard is 1 acre, I got half a lap and it died. I put a mew air filter on it, new fuel pump, check to make sure holes in gas cap weren't clogged and let a little oil out. It didn't have too much oil but I watched a youtube video and guy said if there is too much oil it can get into the carb and cause the mower to not run. I was really trying for a quick fix. All that and I actually got to mow 2 laps before it died again. It seems really hot for only mowing a lap or two. If I let it cool off for a while it starts back up. I have it on the highest setting and it doesn't bog down or anything like the grass is too tall. It just seems to be overheating??? Any thoughts? I also just scraped all the grass out from under the deck 2 weeks ago and checked that , but it's still clean under there. Also put a voltage meter on last fall and new spindles a month ago??? Please help......:mad:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
At full engine speed you should feel a strong (subjective) air flow just below the head (s). Mice are notorious for taking up residence under the shroud that directs cooling air across the head (s) and not paying rent. If unsure, remove the shroud and check.

It only takes minutes. On my LA 135 the shroud bolts don't need to be completely removed, just loosen. The 4 filter screen screws on top of the flywheel will need to be completely removed. If same size as mine a 3/8 and 5/16 socket is all the tools required.

Threads
At full engine speed you should feel a strong (subjective) air flow just below the head (s). Mice are notorious for taking up residence under the shroud that directs cooling air across the head (s) and not paying rent. If unsure, remove the shroud and check.

It only takes minutes. On my LA 135 the shroud bolts don't need to be completely removed, just loosen. The 4 filter screen screws on top of the flywheel will need to be completely removed. If same size as mine a 3/8 and 5/16 socket is all the tools required.

Thanks for the reply! I don't think that is it BUT I will take it apart tomorrow and check just to be sure. I don't have a garage but I do have the deluxe JD cover for it. I thought it might be clogged with grass so I looked through the grill thing on top of the fly wheel and it is super clean in there. I will take it apart in the morning and let you know what I find.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply!
Julie

deerescott

Threads
I know you checked the holes in the gas cap, but just to totally eliminate that as the issue I would loosen the cap a bit and run with it before chasing something else.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I may have omitted one step. If your mower engine is a V-twin engine the air cleaner housing may need to come off. No big deal. It's been awhile.:laughing:

Retiredcarguy

Threads
Blow it out, clean it out and always check it out!

Any machine, air or liquid cooled, that operates in the outdoors needs routine cleaning.

Threads
I know you checked the holes in the gas cap, but just to totally eliminate that as the issue I would loosen the cap a bit and run with it before chasing something else.

OK, will do. I know it's not that because I actually blew thru it to make sure, but I will loosen it a tad anyway. I just had to go buy oil because it leaks somewhere and I always check it before I mow and usually have to add a little. Now my truck leaks oil too (lol) so I usually have some handy. I use the Briggs & Stratton oil in the mower and Valvoline high mileage 5W30 in the truck. Sometimes when I'm out of B&S I use the 5W30 in the mower. If the oil is thinner and it is low (not to low though) could that make it over heat?? Can the oil be getting too hot? It died on me last time and I had just added the 5W30 (it's part synthetic). Then it rained so I couldn't do anything with it (no garage). It has the B&S 22 horse engine.
And thanks for taking the time to share your opinion!!

Threads
Blow it out, clean it out and always check it out!

Any machine, air or liquid cooled, that operates in the outdoors needs routine cleaning.

Hi, thanks. I did, it is as clean as ever. I blow all the grass out with a leaf blower when I am done. Put the hood up and it is almost spotless, I even blow out under where the drive belt is and everything???
Thanks for the advise!

Threads
I may have omitted one step. If your mower engine is a V-twin engine the air cleaner housing may need to come off. No big deal. It's been awhile.:laughing:

Yes it is. Will let you know what happens, had to go buy some oil. The grass still needs a few hours to dry out from the dew.
Wish me luck!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Overheating is an easy impression with the air cooled engines. Unless you use some measuring device like an infra red temp gun or KE thermometer you cannot know if "overheat" is an issue. These lawnmower engines run hotter than cars, but impossible to know if they are "really" overheating without a measuring device and some basic reference number. Some in this forum are trying to get some expected "normal" temp numbers , but it is slow going. If you borrow a temp gun (fairly common tool now) I would worry if your cyl head reads over 300F AWAY from the exhaust pipe header area.