John Deere JA65 wont start, New Coil done

thinkglad

Threads
DSCN2431.jpg

OK Im getting close to removing the pan, but cant seem to get the "transmission" off of the crankshaft. There is a setscrew that is super tight and thats about it, its soaking in penetrant right now.

thinkglad

Threads
Set screw out.....is a puller required to remove the trans off the crank?

thinkglad

Threads
If you have some mechanical aptitude, which it seems you do, why not disassemble the engine and find out if you have a broken camshaft or stripped cam gears (many times they are plastic) and maybe you can get just a cam and gasket set to save the engine but only you know if it is worth the time. The mower could have a lot of hours on it so if it does, consider a new mower.

Yes,

As you can see I'm going in, I have nothing to loose at this point, and a camshaft is only about $45.00
Plus some gaskets, way cheaper than a new mower of any quality. I know the history of this mower as it used to be my fathers. It was a weekend warrior and that's all I know.

Dads gone now, but his mower is still here! That alone gives me reason to get it running, and detailed seeing as its all broken down.

Any insight on what to do and any tips or tricks are greatly appreciated.

Broken Deere

Lawnranger

Threads
Look around on the web and see if you can find a shop service manual with specifications. Before you disassemble the engine you may want to measure crankshaft end play. The thickness of the oil pan gasket usually is what is used to change crankshaft end play so make sure to get a gasket set as many times the set comes with several different thickness oil pan gaskets for adjusting crank end play.

As far as insight, tips & tricks go: Take your time, have a clean workbench, have rags handy, take pictures as you go, take notes as you go, study the parts as you take them off/apart, take note of bolt length as some bolts in the oil pan could be longer than others, keep parts in order of dis-assembly so you can put them back together in order, don't use too much force, use common sense, think things through before acting, if you get frustrated take a break, ask lots of questions on this forum if you get stuck and have some fun while repairing Dad's mower.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

thinkglad

Threads
Thanks,

Everything mentioned above accounted for. I'm going to fashion an engine stand out of some plywood as well.

Do you know if the transmission is pressed onto the crank?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is the parts list

Attachments

• 12J800-ms0991-0905.pdf
    996.5 KB · Views: 14

thinkglad

Threads
Thanks for the parts list...now if I locate the service manual I will be set, looks like its not available on the Briggs website....

Lawnranger

Threads
Thanks,

Everything mentioned above accounted for. I'm going to fashion an engine stand out of some plywood as well.

Do you know if the transmission is pressed onto the crank?

The transmission is likely not pressed on but corroded on. Many times the crankshaft pulley or in your case transmission is corroded on due to the fact that wet grass is cut and gets stuck on the bottom of the deck which creates a humid environment until the moisture evaporates away. This moisture is what will contribute to rusting a deck from the bottom side and causing crank pulleys (and transmissions) to get stuck on the crankshaft. I would avoid using heat and go buy some top quality penetrating oil such as PB Blaster, Kroil or In-Force and soak that sucker for days or even a week or more until you can remove it with as little force as possible. Spray the crank on both sides of the transmission morning, noon and night until you free the transmission from the crank.

Good luck.

thinkglad

Threads
Done.

Will report back once I can get the case opened up!

thinkglad

Threads
This blade clutch is really not wanting to come off of the crankshaft at all... $#%^*&^$%!

Time fo a cold one .......:mad: