John deere gx75, scratching my head.

Kradebaugh73

Threads
All the service techs have said it before, but I’ll say it again. Today’s coils can not be tested unless you have $$$$$ equipment because of the Hall effect trigger inside. That means pulling out your VOM is just a waste of time.
I understand that. Revb had said to check the actual plug wire.

Out of curiosity, what is that piece of equipment called?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Actually don’t know. Looked into getting one when they started to change over to the triggered coils while teaching and my research at the time said three things. One, most shops are not going to have them. Two, cost was not going to go down, due to different types at the time. Three, if you teach students to understand basic electricity and how the electrical system on a small engine works, there really is no need for one.

RevB

Threads
I understand that. Revb had said to check the actual plug wire.

Out of curiosity, what is that piece of equipment called?
From an FC290v engine manual.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-09-13-14-08.png
    Screenshot_2023-09-09-13-14-08.png
    174.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_2023-09-09-13-14-33.png
    Screenshot_2023-09-09-13-14-33.png
    183.2 KB · Views: 3

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The coil ohms at 18.6k from the plug boot to the body of the coil. Is there another way to test it?
YEs
You buy an osilloscope , a variable intensity & direction flux generator, a pulsing signal generator & a HV pulse counter
Total cost is around $ 20,000 for cheap stuff and not much change from $ 100,000 for the good gear .
Krautkrammer are a bit behind at the moment but I can get you some demo gear pretty quickly if you really want them
Or you could just replace the $ 40 coil
I use my old lathe to spin up flywheels and mount the coil on the tool post holder if I have to test one off a mower but most times I test on mower
The modern magneto coils have no points , remember points ?
Well since 1959 they started to be replaced with a solid state switch called a Hall Effect Trigger
Google it and see all of the different electrical variations then work out how you would go about testing them .
How good is your understanding of DC circuits ?

RevB

Threads
Well, I tested for spark, and I have spark. Engine gets hot and it dies. Will not start back up. Not sure if it is a strong or weak spark, but seems sufficient.
Just in case you'd like to get way into the weeds.....here's how the coil works at the granular level.

RevB

Threads
But if anyone can point me to a Chinese coil that would work, I would be greatful!
Here is the companion video of the one I posted about "getting into the weeds" on this subject......a good explanation of coil failure modes.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Amazing.
While TRS's videos are generally good , his magneto coil failure video is rather poor
Now I only have 11 years of experience with modern mower coils but in that time at least 75% of the failures have been because the Hall Trigger was toast and that was probably a cooked transistor , some thing that he totally ignored in both of the linked videos
I rarely link his videos because they tend to be way too long and his almost monotone presentations are enough to send the viewer to sleep which is a shame because he ( or some one at least ) does a lot of work creating all of those graphics & animations .
Before they shifted the triggers into the coil envelope it was easy to check what part had failed by substituting a known good trigger & I modified a few to use for diagnostics with aligator clips .
Again about 3/4 of the time the chip was bad which is understandable because the transistors used in the stand alone modules are quite electronically fragile
The rest of the failures are split almost equally between a short in the windings & a bad HT lead / plug cap
Note I probably have only bothered to break out about a dozen or so coils to check what actually went wrong if the HT lead ohmed out OK .

OTOH I used to pick up 50 or so Victa push mower a year when I ran the courier business & paid my driver $ 20 for every one they picked up from road side clean up piles
Of those just about every one that had a no spark problem was down to the external trigger unit or the wiring associated with it and in a lot of the cases it was nothing more than the rivet used to hold ( and ground ) the unit had loosened
I loved them a 05¢ rivet and a $ 20 ( or free ) mower became a $ 100 sale
And I have been refurbishing these mowers since 1965

kjonxx

Threads
I am currently working on a john deere gx75. It has a 9hp kawasaki. The internet and the JD parts guy tells me there is a igniter in the electrical system. But for the life of me, I cannot find it. Traced the wires and everything.
But in the diagram on the internet, is different than what I am looking at. I have a black, star shaped deal mounted by the solenoid. It has a diode symbol on it and stamped 5.4
Anywho, that diode isn't on the electrical diagram, that I can find anyway.

But long story short, this machine likes to die after running perfectly for 10-15 minutes, and not wanting to restart until it's cooled off.

Not trying to just throw parts at it, but after hearing about what it was doing I ordered a igniter with out even looking at the machine.

So far I've only cleaned out the carburetor,
Cleaned the ignition system,
New plug,
Coil reads 18.6k ohms.

A little confused about it. I would like to hear oth peoples thoughts and opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Houston, we got a problem here. The 21121-2084 coil is NLA from Kawasaki.
View attachment 66632
this what my distributor has posted.
View attachment 66633
Available at amazon 34.00