John deere gx75, scratching my head.

Kradebaugh73

Threads
Well, I tested for spark, and I have spark. Engine gets hot and it dies. Will not start back up. Not sure if it is a strong or weak spark, but seems sufficient.

Kradebaugh73

Threads
Well, I tested for spark, and I have spark. Engine gets hot and it dies. Will not start back up. Not sure if it is a strong or weak spark, but seems sufficient.
And I have fuel. As soon as I wouldn't start back up, I opened the drain on the bowl, and it was full of fuel.

Kradebaugh73

Threads
And I have fuel. As soon as I wouldn't start back up, I opened the drain on the bowl, and it was full of fuel.
Well turns out it's a weak spark. I let the mower cool off and tested the spark again. So it is indeed a bad coil.
I appreciate all of you guys!

Kradebaugh73

Threads
Well turns out it's a weak spark. I let the mower cool off and tested the spark again. So it is indeed a bad coil.
I appreciate all of you guys!
But if anyone can point me to a Chinese coil that would work, I would be greatful!

kjonxx

Threads
Amazon has the coil for 34.00

RevB

Threads
I am planning on testing it tomorrow after I get off work. But for giggles I tried to find a replacement ignition coil, to find an idea on what it's going to cost. Apparently I can get one from John Deere,
But it is expensive lol

Before you buy another coil check continuity of the spark plug lead to the cap. A lot of these are carbon track plug wires meaning they have a carbon coated string as a conductor. And the carbon is dust. Over time the dust migrates out of the crimped connectors and then no spark. Damned seldom a coil just up and "fails".

Old fiddler

Threads
I had a 12 hp Briggs that I serviced - did the same thing - hear up, die, cool off, ran - the fins in the head were packed tight with grass. Cleaned it out, problem solved

Kradebaugh73

Threads
Before you buy another coil check continuity of the spark plug lead to the cap. A lot of these are carbon track plug wires meaning they have a carbon coated string as a conductor. And the carbon is dust. Over time the dust migrates out of the crimped connectors and then no spark. Damned seldom a coil just up and "fails".
while the engine is cool, the coil ohms at

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All the service techs have said it before, but I’ll say it again. Today’s coils can not be tested unless you have $$$$$ equipment because of the Hall effect trigger inside. That means pulling out your VOM is just a waste of time.