If I buy a Raptor instead of a Raptor SD, will I be disappointed?

MRCo.

Threads
  • / If I buy a Raptor instead of a Raptor SD, will I be disappointed?
I can also get a Dixie Chopper Zee1 2348 for $3000...I believe this has a welded deck, however it has a Briggs engine. Should I give any consideration towards it?
I'd skip. First, low level Briggs engines are not up with Kawi FR engines and second Dixie is in flux right now with all sorts of changes behind the scenes...I'd wait to see where the chips fall. It's why I skipped on dealing them.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm very disappointed in Excel's decision, but where's your proof it's because they don't sell? I can't keep them in the store. I'm waiting for three coming in that have sold before they get here.

Where is the proof, Excel's reasoning is proof. There sole purpose in making a deal with HD and Lowes is to put the machine in there stores because they want the thing seen by the public. The greatest majority of people at the moment that see the Raptor at a dealers are guys like myself who do lawn-care for a living, the wrong clientele to sell that machine. I mean lets face the fact when I go to the dealer to by a mower and I see the Raptor next to a Fastrack or Super Z the first thing that comes to mind or my first impression is what a piece of crap same as the Toro Timecutter setting next to a Toro Z-Master. Now couple that impression along with the 7 to maybe10 thousand I'm ready to spend on a mower and what chance do those mowers have of selling......slim to none. I'm not saying the Raptor isn't a good mower, it's designed along with the EZT transmission is for a residential user, for someone who has a small yard or lawn maybe a quarter acre there fine. As far as the 3100 transmissions being overkill, maybe it is but for the price difference between the machines I'll take the overkill. I wouldn't run anything less than the 2800's.

MRCo.

Threads
Where is the proof, Excel's reasoning is proof. There sole purpose in making a deal with HD and Lowes is to put the machine in there stores because they want the thing seen by the public. The greatest majority of people at the moment that see the Raptor at a dealers are guys like myself who do lawn-care for a living, the wrong clientele to sell that machine. I mean lets face the fact when I go to the dealer to by a mower and I see the Raptor next to a Fastrack or Super Z the first thing that comes to mind or my first impression is what a piece of crap same as the Toro Timecutter setting next to a Toro Z-Master. Now couple that impression along with the 7 to maybe10 thousand I'm ready to spend on a mower and what chance do those mowers have of selling......slim to none. I'm not saying the Raptor isn't a good mower, it's designed along with the EZT transmission is for a residential user, for someone who has a small yard or lawn maybe a quarter acre there fine. As far as the 3100 transmissions being overkill, maybe it is but for the price difference between the machines I'll take the overkill. I wouldn't run anything less than the 2800's.
I think I'd invite you to think outside your box. As a dealer the one thing I've learned is that every customer has their own version of what their world and equipment is. Location is a player in it. You think how you do, where you are and for your purpose...thousands see it differently. Your point is like saying people who shop new cars are only looking to spend $40k on a top level SUV...but lots of folks buy a Sole.

I don't like the decision, but I understand the mindset. I don't think lack of sales was the motivation, the desire for more was. There is a difference.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think I'd invite you to think outside your box. As a dealer the one thing I've learned is that every customer has their own version of what their world and equipment is. Location is a player in it. You think how you do, where you are and for your purpose...thousands see it differently. Your point is like saying people who shop new cars are only looking to spend $40k on a top level SUV...but lots of folks buy a Sole.

I don't like the decision, but I understand the mindset. I don't think lack of sales was the motivation, the desire for more was. There is a difference.

I don't think thousands see it differently, I think for thousands it as money issue and there going to go where things are the cheapest to buy and for a mower it's Home Depot or Lowes. Excel's reasoning is proof and there deal with HD and Lowes was of there own admission. There the ones that felt they would have more exposure for the mower by displaying and selling it in Home depot and lowes than in the dealerships. Lets face facts Cub Cadet, Toro, Ariens, John Deere, Husqvarna, Honda, Hustler, and lets not forget Echo and all the hand held equipment and the list goes on for ever cheap mower made and it's all based on increasing sales. The sell ten times more residential equipment than you as a dealership will.

levecks

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't think thousands see it differently, I think for thousands it as money issue and there going to go where things are the cheapest to buy and for a mower it's Home Depot or Lowes. Excel's reasoning is proof and there deal with HD and Lowes was of there own admission. There the ones that felt they would have more exposure for the mower by displaying and selling it in Home depot and lowes than in the dealerships. Lets face facts Cub Cadet, Toro, Ariens, John Deere, Husqvarna, Honda, Hustler, and lets not forget Echo and all the hand held equipment and the list goes on for ever cheap mower made and it's all based on increasing sales. The sell ten times more residential equipment than you as a dealership will.

I spoke with my Big Dog rep yesterday and Excel is putting the 60" Raptor SD in the stores, with other models ordered online.

I get it, they receive a ton more exposure and obviously sales as well. The dealer base has done extremely well with the Raptors though. Excel had a banner year with all their models last season and a big part of that was because of the Raptors. Last year a dealer in NC had sold 30-40 of them in March and many other dealers could not keep them in stock. Overall i'm not certain this a good move in the long run. Excel is not a real big company and I don't think they need to become one either. Once these companies get on the stock exchange, the prices go up and you don't get a ton of value anymore for the price. I've converted a lot of landscapers around here to Big Dog commercial and from the Toro's we previously sold them. Everybody likes the drive system better on the Big Dog, they like the cut better and the maintenance on them is easy as all get out. I've not replaced a belt yet in 5 years time on any model i've sold. Plus I can save them 2-3000 bucks on a 60" mower.

My rep also stated that a lot of the Hustler dealers are really incensed over this move. Many of them have been thinking about dropping Hustler and going to the Big Dog side of it. This is bad all around. Hustler is a tremendous machine, but they gotta have people who will service them and know the product and give parts/repair support. Excel should rethink this move.

FiddlerKY

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, I punched my ticket for a 52" Raptor this afternoon. It'll be delivered on Monday (gotta build a ramp for my new shed this weekend). It'll look like all the others, but I'll post some pics once it's here. The dealership here in town has been really good and essentially made the same points featured in this thread. I feel confident it'll be more than sufficient for what we need.

Thanks again!

bstan21

Forum Newbie
Threads
congrats. What price did you get? I am debating between the 52 and the SD 54 myself. Actually the dealer had me drooling on the SD 60 today for a few hundred more! Wouldn't budge on pricing except offer the 60 for $4399.

FiddlerKY

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got it for the standard $2999 + 9.25% sales tax. Based on what I've read from others, I didn't haggle much at all.

MRCo.

Threads
Got it for the standard $2999 + 9.25% sales tax. Based on what I've read from others, I didn't haggle much at all.
There isn't much wiggle room on those machines like higher ones, and it's a great machine for the homeowner. The retail on it is fair. I hope you enjoy your mower!

RetiredGuns

Threads
I haven't bought a mower or trimmer from a big box store since 1997, but after seeing the Raptor online at Lowes & my 10% military discount I was tempted. It just happens that the dealer around the corner became a Hustler dealer shortly after I found these forums. I still balked due to all the choices and went 'round in 'round in my head. Went to the dealer and noticed they were also doing a limited time 10% military discount and that was that. I am convinced that I could not have bought a better new ZT mower for $2519. That's $20 more than a JD Z235 and the machines are vastly different. The dealer also said he had quite a few Hustlers sold although not surprisingly mostly commercial models. I think if more homeowners cutting less than an acre happen to visit & see the Raptors, they are going to take a hard look.

My Raptor 42" has made mowing way less of a chore. One spec I was concerned about was blade tip speed, but am finding out that 16.7k is still leaps & bounds better than my old tractor and my thick, plush lawn hasn't challenged it in the slightest. As far as the EZTs go, time will tell, but at 30-36 hours a year I am thinking it will last until I get sick of looking at it. Like many guys, I always want more than I need, but what I really wanted would have been double the price and just not necessary.

The Raptor may be at the bottom of the Hustler food chain, but my neighbors on loud-arse, slow tractors still have serious mower envy!