Export thread

If I buy a Raptor instead of a Raptor SD, will I be disappointed?

F

FiddlerKY

Hi all, we just bought a new house - the yard is amazing! It is about 1 acre and has about 40 trees to mow around, mostly in the backyard. I've only owned a push mower so looking for my first ZT/riding mower for the yard. I've been looking at the Hustler and it checks out - the price compare to the others is right and it looks to be solid. I'd really love to get the SD, but frankly I've spent all of my money with the house. Sales tax here is 9.25% so the $3000 52" Raptor becomes nearly $3300. The $3900 Raptor SD becomes about $4250. This is the only yard I'll be mowing and my neighbors have told me most of the backyard doesn't grow much grass due to all the shade. If I go with the regular Raptor, will I be disappointed? I'm thinking about the finance option....doing so makes the price difference not as bad, however I have no intentions of having a balance on the loan after 6 months...will pay it off as quickly as possible, even if it's 0%.

Thoughts? Besides the transmission differences, one of the main things I see is the armrests...how important are those on a ZT with an acre yard? From your experience, are the dealers willing to bargain at all? If not on price, by maybe throwing in free service of the mulching kit?

Thanks in advance!

L

levecks

Hi all, we just bought a new house - the yard is amazing! It is about 1 acre and has about 40 trees to mow around, mostly in the backyard. I've only owned a push mower so looking for my first ZT/riding mower for the yard. I've been looking at the Hustler and it checks out - the price compare to the others is right and it looks to be solid. I'd really love to get the SD, but frankly I've spent all of my money with the house. Sales tax here is 9.25% so the $3000 52" Raptor becomes nearly $3300. The $3900 Raptor SD becomes about $4250. This is the only yard I'll be mowing and my neighbors have told me most of the backyard doesn't grow much grass due to all the shade. If I go with the regular Raptor, will I be disappointed? I'm thinking about the finance option....doing so makes the price difference not as bad, however I have no intentions of having a balance on the loan after 6 months...will pay it off as quickly as possible, even if it's 0%.

Thoughts? Besides the transmission differences, one of the main things I see is the armrests...how important are those on a ZT with an acre yard? From your experience, are the dealers willing to bargain at all? If not on price, by maybe throwing in free service of the mulching kit?

Thanks in advance!

Since you are only mowing your own yard and it's about an acre, don't fret about the SD. The standard raptor will do you just fine. Both models have kawasaki engines and welded decks. The deck is the most important part of the machine overall and it takes all the abuse. I sell Big Dog, which is the other side of the company. These mowers that excel builds are tremendous. We sold Toro for years and they have nothing on Hustler or Big Dog, other than a premium price on their logo and red paint.

Arm rests are not really a factor in my opinion. They can be a nice option but a lot of people say they don't even really use them to often and especially so on a property of your size. The SD I believe may have serviceable hydro's, but that is something that is more a commercial application or a person putting a lot of hours on a machine. With your lot size the sealed hydro's are gonna be just fine. You won't be putting the hours or wear and tear that a person gets with extended mowing times or doing more than one lot at a time.

I can't say if the dealer will move on the price, but as an industry the $3300 price tag is more than competitive and the Hustlers and Big Dogs both use really nice spindles. I've never replaced one yet in 6 years as a dealer and a lot of the competitors use cheap spindle assemblies on their mowers, that would be considered in the same category as the Raptor.

Ric

Ric

Thanks in advance!

The thing about being disappointed would depend on you and what you have previously used. If you've never used a ZTR then you probably won't be disappointed on the other hand if you've used a good ZTR then I would say your chances are better than average you will be disappointed. The Raptor isn't all that much mower as the price indicates, that and the fact there selling them at HD now should say something. I think it comes down to the old saying , you get what you pay for.

For the money you want to spend you may want to look at the Toro Titans there a lot more mower than the Raptor. The 54" model has the 23hp Kawasaki, 18000 blade tip speed, a heavier 10 gauge deck and the 3100 drives along with a 3yr warranty.

Personally I'd stay away from the Raptor because it's running the EZT drives and there trash, at least the SD has the 2800 which should last the homeowner a good while. You'll also get a somewhat better cut with the SD because it has the high blade tip speed.

L

levecks

The thing about being disappointed would depend on you and what you have previously used. If you've never used a ZTR then you probably won't be disappointed on the other hand if you've used a good ZTR then I would say your chances are better than average you will be disappointed. The Raptor isn't all that much mower as the price indicates, that and the fact there selling them at HD now should say something. I think it comes down to the old saying , you get what you pay for. For the money you want to spend you may want to look at the Toro Titans.
Personally I'd stay away from the Raptor because it's running the EZT drives and there trash, at least the SD has the 2800 which should last the homeowner a good while. You'll also get a somewhat better cut with the SD because it has the high blade tip speed.

The EZT transmissions have been bullet proof. I've never seen a bad EZT on any brand not sold in Home Depot or the box stores.

Also, neither of excels lines are sold at home depot, as Toro and several other big brands are.

Ric

Ric

The EZT transmissions have been bullet proof. I've never seen a bad EZT on any brand not sold in Home Depot or the box stores.

Also, neither of excels lines are sold at home depot, as Toro and several other big brands are.

Better think again

You may want to check out this thread: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/equipment-news/22108-hustler-mowers-being-sold-lowes-home-depot.html

L

levecks

Why don't I see them sold from either store, when I look online. All I see is Toro, Cub and JD.

Ric

Ric

Why don't I see them sold from either store, when I look online. All I see is Toro, Cub and JD.

Give them time they will be there. Hustler just made the deal with Lowes and Home depot like maybe a couple of months ago, that's way all there dealers are having fits with Hustler and from what I've seen on some other forums some have or thinking of dropping the hustler line. The problem with the Raptor at the dealers is the fact they can't sell the thing.

F

FiddlerKY

Thank you for the feedback guys...I'm leaning towards the 52" Raptor assuming it'll get in/out/around most of the trees.

As for the Lowes/HD vs. dealer...If I were a dealer, I might see this being an issue, but from my perspective, I don't see anything wrong with this. Toro sells plenty at HD, however my local Toro dealer is quite a bit cheaper on virtually every machine (and I realize that somefeel Toro has gone to crap recently). I guess quality could come down if they're having to make thousands more, however I like to think Hustler will step up their production in the correct manner.

I can also get a Dixie Chopper Zee1 2348 for $3000...I believe this has a welded deck, however it has a Briggs engine. Should I give any consideration towards it?

M

MRCo.

The thing about being disappointed would depend on you and what you have previously used. If you've never used a ZTR then you probably won't be disappointed on the other hand if you've used a good ZTR then I would say your chances are better than average you will be disappointed. The Raptor isn't all that much mower as the price indicates, that and the fact there selling them at HD now should say something. I think it comes down to the old saying , you get what you pay for.

For the money you want to spend you may want to look at the Toro Titans there a lot more mower than the Raptor. The 54" model has the 23hp Kawasaki, 18000 blade tip speed, a heavier 10 gauge deck and the 3100 drives along with a 3yr warranty.

Hmm, completely disagree. 3100 drive level machines are totally overkill for his needs and budget. A Raptor would cover his requirements and the EZT tranny would be fine. Think about it, he will mow for an hour a time, 20 times a year. In ten years it's 200 hours on the rig. With proper care and maintenance it will last him ages.

M

MRCo.

Give them time they will be there. Hustler just made the deal with Lowes and Home depot like maybe a couple of months ago, that's way all there dealers are having fits with Hustler and from what I've seen on some other forums some have or thinking of dropping the hustler line. The problem with the Raptor at the dealers is the fact they can't sell the thing.
I'm very disappointed in Excel's decision, but where's your proof it's because they don't sell? I can't keep them in the store. I'm waiting for three coming in that have sold before they get here.

M

MRCo.

I can also get a Dixie Chopper Zee1 2348 for $3000...I believe this has a welded deck, however it has a Briggs engine. Should I give any consideration towards it?
I'd skip. First, low level Briggs engines are not up with Kawi FR engines and second Dixie is in flux right now with all sorts of changes behind the scenes...I'd wait to see where the chips fall. It's why I skipped on dealing them.

Ric

Ric

I'm very disappointed in Excel's decision, but where's your proof it's because they don't sell? I can't keep them in the store. I'm waiting for three coming in that have sold before they get here.

Where is the proof, Excel's reasoning is proof. There sole purpose in making a deal with HD and Lowes is to put the machine in there stores because they want the thing seen by the public. The greatest majority of people at the moment that see the Raptor at a dealers are guys like myself who do lawn-care for a living, the wrong clientele to sell that machine. I mean lets face the fact when I go to the dealer to by a mower and I see the Raptor next to a Fastrack or Super Z the first thing that comes to mind or my first impression is what a piece of crap same as the Toro Timecutter setting next to a Toro Z-Master. Now couple that impression along with the 7 to maybe10 thousand I'm ready to spend on a mower and what chance do those mowers have of selling......slim to none. I'm not saying the Raptor isn't a good mower, it's designed along with the EZT transmission is for a residential user, for someone who has a small yard or lawn maybe a quarter acre there fine. As far as the 3100 transmissions being overkill, maybe it is but for the price difference between the machines I'll take the overkill. I wouldn't run anything less than the 2800's.

M

MRCo.

Where is the proof, Excel's reasoning is proof. There sole purpose in making a deal with HD and Lowes is to put the machine in there stores because they want the thing seen by the public. The greatest majority of people at the moment that see the Raptor at a dealers are guys like myself who do lawn-care for a living, the wrong clientele to sell that machine. I mean lets face the fact when I go to the dealer to by a mower and I see the Raptor next to a Fastrack or Super Z the first thing that comes to mind or my first impression is what a piece of crap same as the Toro Timecutter setting next to a Toro Z-Master. Now couple that impression along with the 7 to maybe10 thousand I'm ready to spend on a mower and what chance do those mowers have of selling......slim to none. I'm not saying the Raptor isn't a good mower, it's designed along with the EZT transmission is for a residential user, for someone who has a small yard or lawn maybe a quarter acre there fine. As far as the 3100 transmissions being overkill, maybe it is but for the price difference between the machines I'll take the overkill. I wouldn't run anything less than the 2800's.
I think I'd invite you to think outside your box. As a dealer the one thing I've learned is that every customer has their own version of what their world and equipment is. Location is a player in it. You think how you do, where you are and for your purpose...thousands see it differently. Your point is like saying people who shop new cars are only looking to spend $40k on a top level SUV...but lots of folks buy a Sole.

I don't like the decision, but I understand the mindset. I don't think lack of sales was the motivation, the desire for more was. There is a difference.

Ric

Ric

I think I'd invite you to think outside your box. As a dealer the one thing I've learned is that every customer has their own version of what their world and equipment is. Location is a player in it. You think how you do, where you are and for your purpose...thousands see it differently. Your point is like saying people who shop new cars are only looking to spend $40k on a top level SUV...but lots of folks buy a Sole.

I don't like the decision, but I understand the mindset. I don't think lack of sales was the motivation, the desire for more was. There is a difference.

I don't think thousands see it differently, I think for thousands it as money issue and there going to go where things are the cheapest to buy and for a mower it's Home Depot or Lowes. Excel's reasoning is proof and there deal with HD and Lowes was of there own admission. There the ones that felt they would have more exposure for the mower by displaying and selling it in Home depot and lowes than in the dealerships. Lets face facts Cub Cadet, Toro, Ariens, John Deere, Husqvarna, Honda, Hustler, and lets not forget Echo and all the hand held equipment and the list goes on for ever cheap mower made and it's all based on increasing sales. The sell ten times more residential equipment than you as a dealership will.

L

levecks

I don't think thousands see it differently, I think for thousands it as money issue and there going to go where things are the cheapest to buy and for a mower it's Home Depot or Lowes. Excel's reasoning is proof and there deal with HD and Lowes was of there own admission. There the ones that felt they would have more exposure for the mower by displaying and selling it in Home depot and lowes than in the dealerships. Lets face facts Cub Cadet, Toro, Ariens, John Deere, Husqvarna, Honda, Hustler, and lets not forget Echo and all the hand held equipment and the list goes on for ever cheap mower made and it's all based on increasing sales. The sell ten times more residential equipment than you as a dealership will.

I spoke with my Big Dog rep yesterday and Excel is putting the 60" Raptor SD in the stores, with other models ordered online.

I get it, they receive a ton more exposure and obviously sales as well. The dealer base has done extremely well with the Raptors though. Excel had a banner year with all their models last season and a big part of that was because of the Raptors. Last year a dealer in NC had sold 30-40 of them in March and many other dealers could not keep them in stock. Overall i'm not certain this a good move in the long run. Excel is not a real big company and I don't think they need to become one either. Once these companies get on the stock exchange, the prices go up and you don't get a ton of value anymore for the price. I've converted a lot of landscapers around here to Big Dog commercial and from the Toro's we previously sold them. Everybody likes the drive system better on the Big Dog, they like the cut better and the maintenance on them is easy as all get out. I've not replaced a belt yet in 5 years time on any model i've sold. Plus I can save them 2-3000 bucks on a 60" mower.

My rep also stated that a lot of the Hustler dealers are really incensed over this move. Many of them have been thinking about dropping Hustler and going to the Big Dog side of it. This is bad all around. Hustler is a tremendous machine, but they gotta have people who will service them and know the product and give parts/repair support. Excel should rethink this move.

F

FiddlerKY

Hi all, I punched my ticket for a 52" Raptor this afternoon. It'll be delivered on Monday (gotta build a ramp for my new shed this weekend). It'll look like all the others, but I'll post some pics once it's here. The dealership here in town has been really good and essentially made the same points featured in this thread. I feel confident it'll be more than sufficient for what we need.

Thanks again!

B

bstan21

congrats. What price did you get? I am debating between the 52 and the SD 54 myself. Actually the dealer had me drooling on the SD 60 today for a few hundred more! Wouldn't budge on pricing except offer the 60 for $4399.

F

FiddlerKY

Got it for the standard $2999 + 9.25% sales tax. Based on what I've read from others, I didn't haggle much at all.

M

MRCo.

Got it for the standard $2999 + 9.25% sales tax. Based on what I've read from others, I didn't haggle much at all.
There isn't much wiggle room on those machines like higher ones, and it's a great machine for the homeowner. The retail on it is fair. I hope you enjoy your mower!

RetiredGuns

RetiredGuns

I haven't bought a mower or trimmer from a big box store since 1997, but after seeing the Raptor online at Lowes & my 10% military discount I was tempted. It just happens that the dealer around the corner became a Hustler dealer shortly after I found these forums. I still balked due to all the choices and went 'round in 'round in my head. Went to the dealer and noticed they were also doing a limited time 10% military discount and that was that. I am convinced that I could not have bought a better new ZT mower for $2519. That's $20 more than a JD Z235 and the machines are vastly different. The dealer also said he had quite a few Hustlers sold although not surprisingly mostly commercial models. I think if more homeowners cutting less than an acre happen to visit & see the Raptors, they are going to take a hard look.

My Raptor 42" has made mowing way less of a chore. One spec I was concerned about was blade tip speed, but am finding out that 16.7k is still leaps & bounds better than my old tractor and my thick, plush lawn hasn't challenged it in the slightest. As far as the EZTs go, time will tell, but at 30-36 hours a year I am thinking it will last until I get sick of looking at it. Like many guys, I always want more than I need, but what I really wanted would have been double the price and just not necessary.

The Raptor may be at the bottom of the Hustler food chain, but my neighbors on loud-arse, slow tractors still have serious mower envy!

chemingthroughtheleather

chemingthroughtheleather

What's wrong with loud arse and slow!? :laughing:

K

kadowson

Congrats on the Raptor! I just ordered mine a few days back and I'm expecting delivery in a few days. The dealer I bought mine from said there are 3 people in line ahead of me and that he can't keep them stocked. No wonder with a fab deck and the Kawasaki motor, they are leaps and bounds ahead of Toro, Cub Cadet, or many other residential mowers sold in that price range. Their move to sell at the big box stores marks the beginning of their expansion as a company and domination of the market. At least Hustler makes their own low end model sold in stores. Toro outsources their low end residential mowers to MTD to manufacture for Home Depot. :thumbdown:

mhavanti

mhavanti

My Raptor SD only has these drawbacks next to the 16 MPH Hustler next door. It doesn't run 16 MPH. It does, however, ride more smoothly, due to a much better seat, wider tires that require less air pressure. The only other thing I don't like is the deck height adjuster sucks. Other than that, the three owners with adjacent properties with the expensive Hustlers likes mine better than theirs.

There is also several people in the area now commercially cutting with the 60 SD. Their complaint is lack of speed.

ztrjim

ztrjim

How is it working out for you?

D

DK35vince

My Raptor SD only has these drawbacks next to the 16 MPH Hustler next door. It doesn't run 16 MPH. It does, however, ride more smoothly, due to a much better seat, wider tires that require less air pressure. The only other thing I don't like is the deck height adjuster sucks. Other than that, the three owners with adjacent properties with the expensive Hustlers likes mine better than theirs.
Really !!
I have a Super Z and my neighbor has a Raptor SD .
The Raptor is a decent machine for the price, but it is no Super Z. Not even close.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Only things the Z has I would like to have is the deck adjuster and land speed. Other than that, to mow an acre isn't worth the price difference for my needs. I don't need ROPS or a seat belt. So, again, the SD60 ics cutting my acre in the same time the fella is cutting his 1/3 acre across the street, therefor, I'm fine with the SD.

In the Z's defense, the neighbor is afraid to turn it loose. If ya got it, use it. But then, with his seat on my property, it nearly shook my eyeballs out. And that was fter all the dirtwork and sodding. Lol

I would love to have a suspension like a Ferris. Then it would be killer.

D

DK35vince

In the Z's defense, the neighbor is afraid to turn it loose. If ya got it, use it. But then, with his seat on my property, it nearly shook my eyeballs out. And that was fter all the dirtwork and sodding. Lol
Mine came with a suspension seat, has flex forks out front and 8 PSI tire pressure. (Yes I can run lower tire pressures also)
Mows my 7 acres in 2 hours.

mhavanti

mhavanti

I wonder why the neighbors Z doesn't have a suspension seat on his? He bought it new in 13.

Do you recommend the flex forks?

D

DK35vince

Mine came with a suspension seat, has flex forks out front and 8 PSI tire pressure. (Yes I can run lower tire pressures also)
Mows my 7 acres in 2 hours.
Correction.
I recently measured the area I'm mowing for lawn
1034' long x 345' wide.
So I'm mowing closer to 8 acres of lawn in 2 hours. This is my 3rd season with my Super Z and it still impresses me the speed I can mow

D

DK35vince

I wonder why the neighbors Z doesn't have a suspension seat on his? He bought it new in 13.

Do you recommend the flex forks?
I have a 2013 Super Z and they come with suspension seat. (Super Z and Super Z HD come with suspension seat)

I do think the flex forks helped take some of the sharpness out of the bumps. So I'm glad I added them.
They were around $250 for my machine if I remember right.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Now I've gotta find out where his suspension seat got off to. If he still has the suspension part, I'm gonna figure out a way to deal him out of it. I'd been thinking of adding the suspension seat below my super nice chair. My chair is twice as nice as his. But, with my back out right now, each of the dips feels like someone is pile driving me into the metal frame of the mower.

I hope they'll take the majority of shock out of the unit. I'll give them a shot. 500 bucks should get me up and running for both with taxes paid.

Thanks for the reply,

Max