I wanna quit my job!!!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree there are people that would die for your job with those benefits. That said there are people who would die to be self employed and be there own boss and answer to no one but themselves.

If you want to quit your job then apparently you're not happy at work for some reason so I guess you need to ask how much is your sanity worth. I did and after 24 years on the job, I left my job. Retired at the age of fifty and started a lawn care business and at this point am making twice the money I was at the job.

You can have a lawn care business and make good money and as I said in previous reply it 's not easy. I dropped that idea of a crew, to reduce my cost. I stayed small, just myself, kept my overhead low and bought good equipment and from a dealer so I could have service department back up when needed. I duplicated all my equipment because down time cost you money and can cost you clients, and at this point I have more clients than I can handle.

Research your Idea of a Lawn care business, find out all you can and then determine what you want to do and don't listen to people say let the thought fade away or your crazy to leave a job like that, you make that decision.

wrottin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah, people tell me all the time to just work until I retire blahblahblah. Negative people won't get me down. I've spent a lot of time contemplating every aspect and only I know the details and have to deal with the consequences. So quick to judge with so little information.

Mini Motors

Threads
But you came in here for advice, but you dismiss anything you deem negative. And speaking as someone who hasn't worked in almost 7 years, I'll take that union job if you don't want it.

There are negative aspects to just about anything in life. I'll bet you thing this about your union job. And unless you're some sort of superman, you can't "get a crew together that I can trust will do a great job, not wreck my equipment all the time, and get my work done while I'm working", and not have it affect your day job, or compromise on your mission. Somethings gotta give. So take the "negative" comments as they were intended. As a warning of how much work you'll really have to put out. And how things might go terribly wrong if someone in your employ gets hurt on the job without the proper insurance.

LandN

Threads
well said mini motors:thumbsup: you know...i was going to post the same thing you said, but then i thought... this guy dont have what it takes to run a business,it was so obvious in the 1st post he made...repeatedly says he don't have a clue about nothing of the business, brags about his awesome union job,asks for opinions and advice and then posts up again that the answers he got wasn't what he wanted to hear:confused2:and ends it with a "so quick to judge with so little information" thats a real business attitude

Mini Motors

Threads
Reminds me of another guy, in another forum. I may be new here, but I am a veteran in a couple other forums. In my #2 forum, the Wooden Boat forum, a guy came in stating that he wanted to build a sailboat. By his own admission, he had never even been in a boat, much less a sailboat. And he wanted to design it as well. Despite us telling him that he should start with a proven design, and learn why things are the way they are. He insisted that, if we would just tell him the correct placement of the "thing that sticks way down in the water"(we thought he was referring to the keel), that he could build it, and then learn to sail in a boat he built himself. This went on for 3 pages, at 20 posts per page(I noticed it's much less than that here). I don't think he ever got the idea that he actually could kill someone.

Oh, the kicker is that this guy said he was a teacher.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
well said mini motors:thumbsup: you know...i was going to post the same thing you said, but then i thought... this guy dont have what it takes to run a business,it was so obvious in the 1st post he made...repeatedly says he don't have a clue about nothing of the business, brags about his awesome union job,asks for opinions and advice and then posts up again that the answers he got wasn't what he wanted to hear:confused2:and ends it with a "so quick to judge with so little information" thats a real business attitude

Well I really don't see how you can say this guy don't have what it takes to run a business when you actually don't know the individual. Just out of curiosity Let me ask do either of you know what it takes to run or own a Lawn Care business, if not then I wouldn't be so quick to judge and so negative with the answers.

Explain things about licensing and where to get them and the keeping of records and expenditures and what is required for insurance if you decide to go with a crew. How to price out jobs etc. Being Negative and running someone down doesn't help anyone or anything.

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
But you came in here for advice, but you dismiss anything you deem negative. And speaking as someone who hasn't worked in almost 7 years, I'll take that union job if you don't want it.

There are negative aspects to just about anything in life. I'll bet you thing this about your union job. And unless you're some sort of superman, you can't "get a crew together that I can trust will do a great job, not wreck my equipment all the time, and get my work done while I'm working", and not have it affect your day job, or compromise on your mission. Somethings gotta give. So take the "negative" comments as they were intended. As a warning of how much work you'll really have to put out. And how things might go terribly wrong if someone in your employ gets hurt on the job without the proper insurance.

wrottin did come here looking for advice and I really couldn't say he has dismissed anyone's reply's and personally I don't believe he's been negative about anything that I can see, it has been everyone else who has the negative attitude.

LandN

Threads
Well I really don't see how you can say this guy don't have what it takes to run a business when you actually don't know the individual. Just out of curiosity Let me ask do either of you know what it takes to run or own a Lawn Care business, if not then I wouldn't be so quick to judge and so negative with the answers.

Explain things about licensing and where to get them and the keeping of records and expenditures and what is required for insurance if you decide to go with a crew. How to price out jobs etc. Being Negative and running someone down doesn't help anyone or anything.

Yeah your right ric, i don't know him from adam, but the keyboard speaks volumes.He speaks several times of not having a clue on which way to turn and what comes next(not good for business). he also has a "family friend" who is ALREADY in business and giving him extra clients,so THAT guy would be the "go to" person, not the pen pals on the internet(again not good business).he asks for direction and advice and then NEGATIVELY dismisses all the advice and help he recieved(again, bad business) and yes ric i have run several businesses throughout my career,lawn cutting was one ,and for several years.And concerning the the issues of legal and finance,those issues should only be dealt with on a one on one basis with local profesionals so that all pertaining information is area specific. and how about YOUR first post,you specifically said to "do not quit your day job" and then later on a few posts later you specifically said not to listen to people saying to leave the job that he should decide that on his own. so maybe enlighten me on that one.anyway its all laid to rest i'm putting it away. so anyway have a nice day :smile::smile:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah your right ric, i don't know him from adam, but the keyboard speaks volumes.He speaks several times of not having a clue on which way to turn and what comes next(not good for business). he also has a "family friend" who is ALREADY in business and giving him extra clients,so THAT guy would be the "go to" person, not the pen pals on the internet(again not good business).he asks for direction and advice and then NEGATIVELY dismisses all the advice and help he recieved(again, bad business) and yes ric i have run several businesses throughout my career,lawn cutting was one ,and for several years.And concerning the the issues of legal and finance,those issues should only be dealt with on a one on one basis with local profesionals so that all pertaining information is area specific. and how about YOUR first post,you specifically said to "do not quit your day job" and then later on a few posts later you specifically said not to listen to people saying to leave the job that he should decide that on his own. so maybe enlighten me on that one.anyway its all laid to rest i'm putting it away. so anyway have a nice day :smile::smile:

Yea I can agree with what you said (again not good business) and those things should be explain so the individual understands what he is getting into. Yes I did say "do not quit your day job" and I wouldn't until I had the Lawn-care business up and running and knew if it was going to be something I am going to be happy with for my work and I sure wouldn't let the thought fade away as was suggested. I like to see people that try to do something get the help to accomplish there goals, not be discouraged.:smile: