Export thread

I wanna quit my job!!!

W

wrottin

I bought a JDeere LA 115, 3 years ago when my father had a stroke and started cutting his grass regularly. I had already been doing the same for my grandmother for the last 10+ years, and my push mower wasn't cutting it. With two young kids and a full time job, my spare time was limited. A family friend is the owner of a lawn care business, and wanted to be able to give a good reference to his residential callers that his crew didn't have time for. Long story short I get as much customers As I can handle with my time allotted. My mower is small and my customers are residential but I maintain it and I don't undersell myself. I got a union job and make $20 an hour with all my health benefits paid, 401k, paid vacations and holidays, and get off work at 1:30pm everyday, 5 days a week. This leaves me with a few hours a day to mow but leave myself a few days a week for my sanity. I want to get a crew together that I can trust will do a great job, not wreck my equipment all the time, and get my work done while I'm working. So I can grow to eventually quit my job and be financially comfortable.
Before I do that I want to become an actual "small business". My problem is I have no clue where to start. How do I become licensed? Do I need too? I have no clue what the first step is, or the next one and would greatly appreciate and help and advice.

Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy

I bought a JDeere LA 115, 3 years ago when my father had a stroke and started cutting his grass regularly. I had already been doing the same for my grandmother for the last 10+ years, and my push mower wasn't cutting it. With two young kids and a full time job, my spare time was limited. A family friend is the owner of a lawn care business, and wanted to be able to give a good reference to his residential callers that his crew didn't have time for. Long story short I get as much customers As I can handle with my time allotted. My mower is small and my customers are residential but I maintain it and I don't undersell myself. I got a union job and make $20 an hour with all my health benefits paid, 401k, paid vacations and holidays, and get off work at 1:30pm everyday, 5 days a week. This leaves me with a few hours a day to mow but leave myself a few days a week for my sanity. I want to get a crew together that I can trust will do a great job, not wreck my equipment all the time, and get my work done while I'm working. So I can grow to eventually quit my job and be financially comfortable.
Before I do that I want to become an actual "small business". My problem is I have no clue where to start. How do I become licensed? Do I need too? I have no clue what the first step is, or the next one and would greatly appreciate and help and advice.

Talk with the family friend in the business. This decision will require much more than a few post. Sounds like you got it good at your current employment. Lot of headaches running a lawn service. Good Luck!

K

KennyV

.... I want to get a crew together that I can trust will do a great job, not wreck my equipment all the time, and get my work done

That is the MOST important and MOST valuable asset to any business....
Employees ... Good employees are the most difficult to find & keep.
Almost all other things related to operating a business can be honed to perfection with a good accountant, & some knowledge of the particular industry...
But recruiting and retaining great employees is where your scale of success is going to be defined... Good Luck with it... :smile:KennyV

Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy

That is the MOST important and MOST valuable asset to any business....
Employees ... Good employees are the most difficult to find & keep.
Almost all other things related to operating a business can be honed to perfection with a good accountant, & some knowledge of the particular industry...
But recruiting and retaining great employees is where your scale of success is going to be defined... Good Luck with it... :smile:KennyV

I have had two guys work for me in the past that are now the competition. Yes, we are still buds. Problem is, you train them good, they start thinking,"I can do this."
Kenny hit it on the head!:thumbsup:

twall

twall

I have had two guys work for me in the past that are now the competition. Yes, we are still buds. Problem is, you train them good, they start thinking,"I can do this."

No YOU just did....:thumbsup:

Ric

Ric

There is a couple of ways you can run a lawn-care business and either way you will or should be licensed which you can buy at your local county tax collectors office. Be warned if you select to buy the license you'll need to maintain records of all equipment expenditures, Like mowers, trimmers, blowers, all parts etc. and don't forget gas, oil, and vehicle mileage and the list will grow and grow.
You as an employer will also have to supply Insurance and workman's comp Ins. for ever employee you hire (not cheap) so I hope you have a ton of clients because you'll have a ton of overhead you'll have to cover. If you want some advice Mow lawns with your JD or what ever, stay small and self employed. Owning and running a Lawn - care Business isn't a simple thing to do and manage to make enough money to make a living, especially when gas is $4.00 a gallon. Don"t Quit your day job.

L

LandN

nicely said ric,he's right, keep it small by yourself......sounds like you have a nice job with good bennies,lots of people would trade with you in a minuite. Put your time in and retire. you have health insurance if you buy that on your own its high as the sky.with getting off at 1:30 leaves you time to knock a few close yards out and spend some time with your 2 kids, their only small once.don't overspend your paycheck to have to rely on grass cutting money. good luck:smile:

B

Bumblebee

Sprinkler Buddy said:

Just a bit of friendly advice. Figure out exactly what it is you believe is "good" training, then just keep the details to yourself. Example, don't say exactly why you mow in different directions or don't show them how you do the taxes for your business. It's sounds silly, but the details are in fact your trade secrets and in this economy it behooves you to not create your own competition. After all, you are the boss (and owner) and your employees don't need to know the ins and outs of your business. It's none of theirs.

S

SeniorCitizen

With two young kids and a full time job,

I got a union job and make $20 an hour with all my health benefits paid, 401k, paid vacations and holidays, and get off work at 1:30pm everyday, 5 days a week.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know there are people, lawn care included, that would die for your job with those benefits.

The first thing to do is look in a mirror to see if someone wrote DUMB-DUMB-DUMB on your forehead in caps with a felt pen.

If you pass that test, research this idea long and hard and maybe, just maybe, if you research long enough this thought you have of a lawn care business will eventually fade away. I hope so for the kids and your eventual social security check.

L

LandN

Just a bit of friendly advice. Figure out exactly what it is you believe is "good" training, then just keep the details to yourself. Example, don't say exactly why you mow in different directions or don't show them how you do the taxes for your business. It's sounds silly, but the details are in fact your trade secrets and in this economy it behooves you to not create your own competition. After all, you are the boss (and owner) and your employees don't need to know the ins and outs of your business. It's none of theirs.

I Agree with you on 'sharing' the financial side of the business, but you have to have your employees know the...... 'why'... 'when'... 'where'... part of the business.I would never send an employee out to do a job and the employee not know whats fully expected of them and how to do the job the right way whether the boss is right there or not. A good employee has to be on the same page as the boss.That is essential no matter how you slice and dice it. A good quality employee is an extension of the the boss and the business.Most any business is going to have competition,thats the way it is in the business world:smile: it is trickey getting good employees though, and to retain them.:thumbsup:

Ric

Ric

I agree there are people that would die for your job with those benefits. That said there are people who would die to be self employed and be there own boss and answer to no one but themselves.

If you want to quit your job then apparently you're not happy at work for some reason so I guess you need to ask how much is your sanity worth. I did and after 24 years on the job, I left my job. Retired at the age of fifty and started a lawn care business and at this point am making twice the money I was at the job.

You can have a lawn care business and make good money and as I said in previous reply it 's not easy. I dropped that idea of a crew, to reduce my cost. I stayed small, just myself, kept my overhead low and bought good equipment and from a dealer so I could have service department back up when needed. I duplicated all my equipment because down time cost you money and can cost you clients, and at this point I have more clients than I can handle.

Research your Idea of a Lawn care business, find out all you can and then determine what you want to do and don't listen to people say let the thought fade away or your crazy to leave a job like that, you make that decision.

Engine_Girl

Engine_Girl

Where I am it's different, but...try this Online Assessments | Indiana Small Business Development Center. You have to be fully engaged in starting the business, but if you are, they are more than helpful. Good Luck!

W

wrottin

Yeah, people tell me all the time to just work until I retire blahblahblah. Negative people won't get me down. I've spent a lot of time contemplating every aspect and only I know the details and have to deal with the consequences. So quick to judge with so little information.

M

Mini Motors

But you came in here for advice, but you dismiss anything you deem negative. And speaking as someone who hasn't worked in almost 7 years, I'll take that union job if you don't want it.

There are negative aspects to just about anything in life. I'll bet you thing this about your union job. And unless you're some sort of superman, you can't "get a crew together that I can trust will do a great job, not wreck my equipment all the time, and get my work done while I'm working", and not have it affect your day job, or compromise on your mission. Somethings gotta give. So take the "negative" comments as they were intended. As a warning of how much work you'll really have to put out. And how things might go terribly wrong if someone in your employ gets hurt on the job without the proper insurance.

L

LandN

well said mini motors:thumbsup: you know...i was going to post the same thing you said, but then i thought... this guy dont have what it takes to run a business,it was so obvious in the 1st post he made...repeatedly says he don't have a clue about nothing of the business, brags about his awesome union job,asks for opinions and advice and then posts up again that the answers he got wasn't what he wanted to hear:confused2:and ends it with a "so quick to judge with so little information" thats a real business attitude

M

Mini Motors

Reminds me of another guy, in another forum. I may be new here, but I am a veteran in a couple other forums. In my #2 forum, the Wooden Boat forum, a guy came in stating that he wanted to build a sailboat. By his own admission, he had never even been in a boat, much less a sailboat. And he wanted to design it as well. Despite us telling him that he should start with a proven design, and learn why things are the way they are. He insisted that, if we would just tell him the correct placement of the "thing that sticks way down in the water"(we thought he was referring to the keel), that he could build it, and then learn to sail in a boat he built himself. This went on for 3 pages, at 20 posts per page(I noticed it's much less than that here). I don't think he ever got the idea that he actually could kill someone.

Oh, the kicker is that this guy said he was a teacher.

Ric

Ric

well said mini motors:thumbsup: you know...i was going to post the same thing you said, but then i thought... this guy dont have what it takes to run a business,it was so obvious in the 1st post he made...repeatedly says he don't have a clue about nothing of the business, brags about his awesome union job,asks for opinions and advice and then posts up again that the answers he got wasn't what he wanted to hear:confused2:and ends it with a "so quick to judge with so little information" thats a real business attitude

Well I really don't see how you can say this guy don't have what it takes to run a business when you actually don't know the individual. Just out of curiosity Let me ask do either of you know what it takes to run or own a Lawn Care business, if not then I wouldn't be so quick to judge and so negative with the answers.

Explain things about licensing and where to get them and the keeping of records and expenditures and what is required for insurance if you decide to go with a crew. How to price out jobs etc. Being Negative and running someone down doesn't help anyone or anything.

Ric

Ric

But you came in here for advice, but you dismiss anything you deem negative. And speaking as someone who hasn't worked in almost 7 years, I'll take that union job if you don't want it.

There are negative aspects to just about anything in life. I'll bet you thing this about your union job. And unless you're some sort of superman, you can't "get a crew together that I can trust will do a great job, not wreck my equipment all the time, and get my work done while I'm working", and not have it affect your day job, or compromise on your mission. Somethings gotta give. So take the "negative" comments as they were intended. As a warning of how much work you'll really have to put out. And how things might go terribly wrong if someone in your employ gets hurt on the job without the proper insurance.

wrottin did come here looking for advice and I really couldn't say he has dismissed anyone's reply's and personally I don't believe he's been negative about anything that I can see, it has been everyone else who has the negative attitude.

L

LandN

Well I really don't see how you can say this guy don't have what it takes to run a business when you actually don't know the individual. Just out of curiosity Let me ask do either of you know what it takes to run or own a Lawn Care business, if not then I wouldn't be so quick to judge and so negative with the answers.

Explain things about licensing and where to get them and the keeping of records and expenditures and what is required for insurance if you decide to go with a crew. How to price out jobs etc. Being Negative and running someone down doesn't help anyone or anything.

Yeah your right ric, i don't know him from adam, but the keyboard speaks volumes.He speaks several times of not having a clue on which way to turn and what comes next(not good for business). he also has a "family friend" who is ALREADY in business and giving him extra clients,so THAT guy would be the "go to" person, not the pen pals on the internet(again not good business).he asks for direction and advice and then NEGATIVELY dismisses all the advice and help he recieved(again, bad business) and yes ric i have run several businesses throughout my career,lawn cutting was one ,and for several years.And concerning the the issues of legal and finance,those issues should only be dealt with on a one on one basis with local profesionals so that all pertaining information is area specific. and how about YOUR first post,you specifically said to "do not quit your day job" and then later on a few posts later you specifically said not to listen to people saying to leave the job that he should decide that on his own. so maybe enlighten me on that one.anyway its all laid to rest i'm putting it away. so anyway have a nice day :smile::smile:

Ric

Ric

Yeah your right ric, i don't know him from adam, but the keyboard speaks volumes.He speaks several times of not having a clue on which way to turn and what comes next(not good for business). he also has a "family friend" who is ALREADY in business and giving him extra clients,so THAT guy would be the "go to" person, not the pen pals on the internet(again not good business).he asks for direction and advice and then NEGATIVELY dismisses all the advice and help he recieved(again, bad business) and yes ric i have run several businesses throughout my career,lawn cutting was one ,and for several years.And concerning the the issues of legal and finance,those issues should only be dealt with on a one on one basis with local profesionals so that all pertaining information is area specific. and how about YOUR first post,you specifically said to "do not quit your day job" and then later on a few posts later you specifically said not to listen to people saying to leave the job that he should decide that on his own. so maybe enlighten me on that one.anyway its all laid to rest i'm putting it away. so anyway have a nice day :smile::smile:

Yea I can agree with what you said (again not good business) and those things should be explain so the individual understands what he is getting into. Yes I did say "do not quit your day job" and I wouldn't until I had the Lawn-care business up and running and knew if it was going to be something I am going to be happy with for my work and I sure wouldn't let the thought fade away as was suggested. I like to see people that try to do something get the help to accomplish there goals, not be discouraged.:smile:

L

LandN

hi ric, i guess a different way to explain would be to say that if a person 'wants to' or is 'going to' go into a small business is to surround yourself with the best people (mentors) as possible and seek out the best information and resources as you possibly can .in other words learn from the best sources in your area. good ideas and thoughts can come from the people on the net, but should be thouroughly sifted through to make sure it applys to a persons area. if i want to learn how to play golf(and boy do i suck at it)i would not totally consult with my neighbor who is basically no better than i am,i will go take lessons from a school or class or something along those lines:smile: thats all i'm saying:smile:. You have cut grass a long time i'm sure you know how long it can take to build up a business to rely on.in my opinion you did it the right way and waited to retire(i think so, am i right) and then seek out your ambition.anyway i gotta go, later. start up that cub and get cutting:thumbsup:

Ric

Ric

hi ric, i guess a different way to explain would be to say that if a person 'wants to' or is 'going to' go into a small business is to surround yourself with the best people (mentors) as possible and seek out the best information and resources as you possibly can .in other words learn from the best sources in your area. good ideas and thoughts can come from the people on the net, but should be thouroughly sifted through to make sure it applys to a persons area. if i want to learn how to play golf(and boy do i suck at it)i would not totally consult with my neighbor who is basically no better than i am,i will go take lessons from a school or class or something along those lines:smile: thats all i'm saying:smile:. You have cut grass a long time i'm sure you know how long it can take to build up a business to rely on.in my opinion you did it the right way and waited to retire(i think so, am i right) and then seek out your ambition.anyway i gotta go, later. start up that cub and get cutting:thumbsup:

Yes you're right, finding out from people who actually are in the business and willing to talk to you about it is one resource and possibly working with and learning from a well established business and crew can be invaluable.
It's funny you should mention taking lessons from a school, I worked for the school board for 24 yrs and one of my jobs was over looking maintenance or management and care of lawns and athletic fields and so on. In 24 years I learned a lot in fact I and my Lawn care personnel went to 80 hour classes on lawn care twice a year every year and I can truthfully say :biggrin: there the most Boring things in the world to sit through, and at the time I never Imagined that when I retired I'd have my own LC Business. I guess it just goes to show you you never know what's going to come in handy.

W

wrottin

Saying I had no clue where to start was pertaining to the legal process of becoming a business. I've been up and running for years and have a sizable customer base. Comparing me to someone that has never been on a boat yet wants to build on is a little off base.
I had a neighbor a few years back that claimed he had a business for the free phone and Internet, and never actually did any work. I'm not sure how true it is but I know there are a few perks to help ease the overhead. I keep records of everything and have quite the business proposal but I don't need money. I guess what I was looking for was a go here and get this, fill out this and send it here, and idk... Wham bam I'm licensed. Everyone has a lot of great advice and insight on why they would or wouldn't do that if they were me but my minds set. I'm not gonna quit my job prematurely but that would be my best case scenario.

Attachments

W

wrottin

And I have actually built my own canoe

Attachments

M

Mini Motors

It wasn't you that reminded me of the wannabe boat builder, it was how people were jumping at ya'. My apologies. I like the pic of your "crew", and the one of your spoils from the canoe. I'd like to see the canoe.:licking:

K

katkat05

do you have an idea how much healthcare insurance will cost you each month? I would stick with the union job.

Craftsman13

Craftsman13

It would cost you alot of money but I think you could do it if you stayed local until you got enough money to hire workers. Also another thing to think about is commercial contracts.:smile: