I wanna quit my job!!!

LandN

Threads
hi ric, i guess a different way to explain would be to say that if a person 'wants to' or is 'going to' go into a small business is to surround yourself with the best people (mentors) as possible and seek out the best information and resources as you possibly can .in other words learn from the best sources in your area. good ideas and thoughts can come from the people on the net, but should be thouroughly sifted through to make sure it applys to a persons area. if i want to learn how to play golf(and boy do i suck at it)i would not totally consult with my neighbor who is basically no better than i am,i will go take lessons from a school or class or something along those lines:smile: thats all i'm saying:smile:. You have cut grass a long time i'm sure you know how long it can take to build up a business to rely on.in my opinion you did it the right way and waited to retire(i think so, am i right) and then seek out your ambition.anyway i gotta go, later. start up that cub and get cutting:thumbsup:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
hi ric, i guess a different way to explain would be to say that if a person 'wants to' or is 'going to' go into a small business is to surround yourself with the best people (mentors) as possible and seek out the best information and resources as you possibly can .in other words learn from the best sources in your area. good ideas and thoughts can come from the people on the net, but should be thouroughly sifted through to make sure it applys to a persons area. if i want to learn how to play golf(and boy do i suck at it)i would not totally consult with my neighbor who is basically no better than i am,i will go take lessons from a school or class or something along those lines:smile: thats all i'm saying:smile:. You have cut grass a long time i'm sure you know how long it can take to build up a business to rely on.in my opinion you did it the right way and waited to retire(i think so, am i right) and then seek out your ambition.anyway i gotta go, later. start up that cub and get cutting:thumbsup:

Yes you're right, finding out from people who actually are in the business and willing to talk to you about it is one resource and possibly working with and learning from a well established business and crew can be invaluable.
It's funny you should mention taking lessons from a school, I worked for the school board for 24 yrs and one of my jobs was over looking maintenance or management and care of lawns and athletic fields and so on. In 24 years I learned a lot in fact I and my Lawn care personnel went to 80 hour classes on lawn care twice a year every year and I can truthfully say :biggrin: there the most Boring things in the world to sit through, and at the time I never Imagined that when I retired I'd have my own LC Business. I guess it just goes to show you you never know what's going to come in handy.

wrottin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Saying I had no clue where to start was pertaining to the legal process of becoming a business. I've been up and running for years and have a sizable customer base. Comparing me to someone that has never been on a boat yet wants to build on is a little off base.
I had a neighbor a few years back that claimed he had a business for the free phone and Internet, and never actually did any work. I'm not sure how true it is but I know there are a few perks to help ease the overhead. I keep records of everything and have quite the business proposal but I don't need money. I guess what I was looking for was a go here and get this, fill out this and send it here, and idk... Wham bam I'm licensed. Everyone has a lot of great advice and insight on why they would or wouldn't do that if they were me but my minds set. I'm not gonna quit my job prematurely but that would be my best case scenario.

Attachments

• image-3894236313.png
    image-3894236313.png
    161.6 KB · Views: 25

wrottin

Forum Newbie
Threads
And I have actually built my own canoe

Attachments

• image-1103131232.png
    image-1103131232.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 22

Mini Motors

Threads
It wasn't you that reminded me of the wannabe boat builder, it was how people were jumping at ya'. My apologies. I like the pic of your "crew", and the one of your spoils from the canoe. I'd like to see the canoe.:licking:

katkat05

Forum Newbie
Threads
do you have an idea how much healthcare insurance will cost you each month? I would stick with the union job.

Craftsman13

Threads
It would cost you alot of money but I think you could do it if you stayed local until you got enough money to hire workers. Also another thing to think about is commercial contracts.:smile: