Ebay/Craigslist I may have found a deal

Threads
On a side note, I picked up a Snapper RT5 5hp rear tine tiller today to be a later project. I bought it from the original owner for $50 and it's been sitting for roughly 10 years. Should be interesting.

Looks good! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

BustedKnuckles

Threads
Houston, we have spark! And one of the best sparks I've ever seen no less.

I pulled the flywheel tonight, cleaned the points and replaced the bad piece of engine tin. The gas tank is ready to use and I also replaced a missing strap; the spare engine has proven to be a worthy purchase. Regretfully, I didn't take any photos while I had the blower housings or flywheels off. I was in a frenzy swapping engine tin and got everything swapped and completely back together on both engines.

Carb work is next and hopefully she'll fire off soon after.

Attachments

• DSCF1001.jpg
    DSCF1001.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF1010.jpg
    DSCF1010.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0996.jpg
    DSCF0996.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF1011.jpg
    DSCF1011.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 10

BustedKnuckles

Threads
UPDATE:

I pulled the carb last night for disassembly and cleaning. It wasn't too bad and the worst part was the throttle valve; it wasn't completely seized but was rather stiff. The float had failed or was about to fail at some point since it had gas inside it.

I bought a gallon of Gunk carb cleaner last night and it has a nifty basket inside it for holding the parts. I loaded the basket and tucked it in for a nice overnight chemical nap.

I pulled everything out this morning and all looks nice and clean. All passages are clear and the throttle valve works nice and freely. Reassembly will start tonight after I make some gaskets.

So far, the spare engine has been worth every penny. I've salvaged a tank strap, engine tin, carb float and some hardware so far with LOTS of spare parts remaining.

On a side note, the Snapper RT5 tiller I bought seems to be pretty nice but doesn't hold a candle to how this Horse is built. The Snapper is much more complex and isn't built anywhere near as heavy; I'll start a similar thread after I get this Horse running.

BustedKnuckles

Threads
We fired 'er up today and it runs great! I'll post a video soon.

Attachments

• DSCF1038.jpg
    DSCF1038.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF1039.jpg
    DSCF1039.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF1042.jpg
    DSCF1042.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF1043.jpg
    DSCF1043.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 7

HarryHarley

Threads
I'm happy to see it works too! And, glad to see you saved a great tiller. Hope it has a good second life.
Nice job.

HarryHarley

Threads
I know you're busy with you next project (the snapper tiller) so you may have not gotten to your video.
Did I miss it?

BustedKnuckles

Threads
I know you're busy with you next project (the snapper tiller) so you may have not gotten to your video.
Did I miss it?

Can I have that 30 minutes of my life back? Ya just gotta love carburetors...

So we get home from family stuff today and I got an email notification of your reply above. I went out to the shed, pulled the old Horse out and began to yank the rope with camera running. No go. 30 minutes of carb tinkering later, she was running great again but it was too dark. At one point when I had it too rich, the muffler was starting to glow at the lower screw. Oops! :biggrin:

I did notice some arcing at the plug boot and this is the second time I've found arcing when running an engine at night. The parts engine has a good boot so I'll swap it soon.

The Snapper is already finished so I'll shoot a video of both and upload them soon. Hang in there!

BustedKnuckles

Threads
Well, I made another futile effort yesterday. With work and kids, toy time is limited.

The tank isn't as clean as I thought it was and after sitting in the shed for a few days, the fuel now has a muddy appearance. So, a tank swap from the spare engine is in order along with a bowl cleaning. The float has been sticking too (perhaps from the crap in the fuel) and that's why I haven't been able to get the carb adjustment in order. :confused2: Maybe this weekend I'll get the job done.

Hmm, those Honda clone swaps are starting to look pretty good. :biggrin:

BustedKnuckles

Threads