Hustler purchasing question

Andyszeroturn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I am thinking about purchasing the 52" Raptor for $2,999.
I have heard nothing but great reviews and you can't beat the price with any of the competitors.
I will be mowing between 2 to 3 acres and possibly some more in the future.
Some have suggested the SD or Fast Track, but it is an over $1,000 jump in price.
Money is a huge concern for me and even though it may only make a difference of $25 in my monthly payments, it is significant to me.
Are the differences really that significant? Speed really doesn't matter all that much to me.
Thanks for your help!
Andy

cmm1970

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I picked up a Fastrack 42"used this summer to mow 5 acres. It is handling the job, but I would want bigger. There is a substantial difference in deck build between the Fast Track and the Raptor. So the reason I'm responding is to reinforce the idea that moving up to the Fast Track with the 54" deck is probably a really good idea. I have found this mower to be quite the honey badger and it handles our property which is not smooth or well manicured like a champ. I don't think the Raptor would hold up to the rigors of our large property.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi,
I picked up a Fastrack 42"used this summer to mow 5 acres. It is handling the job, but I would want bigger. There is a substantial difference in deck build between the Fast Track and the Raptor. So the reason I'm responding is to reinforce the idea that moving up to the Fast Track with the 54" deck is probably a really good idea. I have found this mower to be quite the honey badger and it handles our property which is not smooth or well manicured like a champ. I don't think the Raptor would hold up to the rigors of our large property.

I agree...the Raptor(and maybe even the Raptor SD) may not be up to the task of "2-3 acres and possibly more in the future" and I would recommend that the user consider the FasTrak(someone mentioned a saying in another thread that I really liked...."buy expensive, cry once but buy cheap and cry twice:0)
I believe the saying was referring to (1)regret for buying something that is not up to expectations and (2)having to replace it prematurely:0(

verminaters

Threads
So now the raptor is only good for what 1/2 an acre ??

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The raptor will do just fine on 2 acres.

People said the same thing about the toro timecutter and it's just not true.

The raptor is a better built mower them the timecutter and will handle a lot of hard work.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why is that?

When the OP stated "I will be mowing between 2 to 3 acres and possibly some more in the future" that sounds to me as though he plans on using the base Raptor commercially(to mow yards other than his). I'm not saying that the base Raptor cannot handle mowing 2-3 acres weekly and will do that very well. And again, the Raptor "SD" will do an even better job of that. But.....whenever a user implies that they will be mowing commercially with one of the two least expensive ZTR's that Hustler makes I will advise them to avoid what I heard another user say recently that says it all....."buy expensive and cry once, buy cheap and cry twice". The jist of this is that even though it hurts to spend that extra money....it hurts when you begin using the cheaper machine and it doesn't match your needs...then it hurts again(and even more) when you have to replace it prematurely when it begins having failure of a major component. No ONE will convince me that either of the Raptors are up to the task of mowing commercially.

MPW1216

Threads
Without getting into a pissing match with "Mr. Know it all" (djdicetn). I will try to answer your question. The monitary difference between $2999 and $5500+ (Fast Track) is significant and should not be taken lightly. First and foremost do what you are financially comfortable doing and by no means compromise yourself for a mower! Remember, it is just a friggin mower! For that kind of price difference, you could damn near by 2 raptors! Having said that though, I do agree with djdicetn regarding stretching your budget some and would consider the Raptor SD. There is significant difference between the two, enough where I think it is worth the extra $800. Go see for yourself and you be the judge. You will be fine with both choices though for what you are trying to accomplish. :thumbsup:

Good luck and enjoy your search! :smile:

MPW

ffk_pennywise

Threads
I don't know much about the standard Raptor, but I can personally tell you the 54" SD will handle 3.25 acres weekly with ease. Takes me 1.8 hours to knock out my yard.

RetiredGuns

Threads
I think the old base FastTraks came with 2200s. I wonder how they held up? The deck is another consideration, but if you aren't mowing over holes, bad bumps, etc.. I can see mowing 2-3 acres. Anything more and I'd be a little concerned about heat and deck hardware in the long run.