Export thread

Hustler purchasing question

A

Andyszeroturn

Hi,
I am thinking about purchasing the 52" Raptor for $2,999.
I have heard nothing but great reviews and you can't beat the price with any of the competitors.
I will be mowing between 2 to 3 acres and possibly some more in the future.
Some have suggested the SD or Fast Track, but it is an over $1,000 jump in price.
Money is a huge concern for me and even though it may only make a difference of $25 in my monthly payments, it is significant to me.
Are the differences really that significant? Speed really doesn't matter all that much to me.
Thanks for your help!
Andy

C

cmm1970

Hi,
I picked up a Fastrack 42"used this summer to mow 5 acres. It is handling the job, but I would want bigger. There is a substantial difference in deck build between the Fast Track and the Raptor. So the reason I'm responding is to reinforce the idea that moving up to the Fast Track with the 54" deck is probably a really good idea. I have found this mower to be quite the honey badger and it handles our property which is not smooth or well manicured like a champ. I don't think the Raptor would hold up to the rigors of our large property.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Hi,
I picked up a Fastrack 42"used this summer to mow 5 acres. It is handling the job, but I would want bigger. There is a substantial difference in deck build between the Fast Track and the Raptor. So the reason I'm responding is to reinforce the idea that moving up to the Fast Track with the 54" deck is probably a really good idea. I have found this mower to be quite the honey badger and it handles our property which is not smooth or well manicured like a champ. I don't think the Raptor would hold up to the rigors of our large property.

I agree...the Raptor(and maybe even the Raptor SD) may not be up to the task of "2-3 acres and possibly more in the future" and I would recommend that the user consider the FasTrak(someone mentioned a saying in another thread that I really liked...."buy expensive, cry once but buy cheap and cry twice:0)
I believe the saying was referring to (1)regret for buying something that is not up to expectations and (2)having to replace it prematurely:0(

R

RaptorSD

I agree...the Raptor(and maybe even the Raptor SD) may not be up to the task of "2-3 acres and possibly more in the future"

Why is that?

V

verminaters

So now the raptor is only good for what 1/2 an acre ??

Carscw

Carscw

The raptor will do just fine on 2 acres.

People said the same thing about the toro timecutter and it's just not true.

The raptor is a better built mower them the timecutter and will handle a lot of hard work.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Why is that?

When the OP stated "I will be mowing between 2 to 3 acres and possibly some more in the future" that sounds to me as though he plans on using the base Raptor commercially(to mow yards other than his). I'm not saying that the base Raptor cannot handle mowing 2-3 acres weekly and will do that very well. And again, the Raptor "SD" will do an even better job of that. But.....whenever a user implies that they will be mowing commercially with one of the two least expensive ZTR's that Hustler makes I will advise them to avoid what I heard another user say recently that says it all....."buy expensive and cry once, buy cheap and cry twice". The jist of this is that even though it hurts to spend that extra money....it hurts when you begin using the cheaper machine and it doesn't match your needs...then it hurts again(and even more) when you have to replace it prematurely when it begins having failure of a major component. No ONE will convince me that either of the Raptors are up to the task of mowing commercially.

M

MPW1216

Without getting into a pissing match with "Mr. Know it all" (djdicetn). I will try to answer your question. The monitary difference between $2999 and $5500+ (Fast Track) is significant and should not be taken lightly. First and foremost do what you are financially comfortable doing and by no means compromise yourself for a mower! Remember, it is just a friggin mower! For that kind of price difference, you could damn near by 2 raptors! Having said that though, I do agree with djdicetn regarding stretching your budget some and would consider the Raptor SD. There is significant difference between the two, enough where I think it is worth the extra $800. Go see for yourself and you be the judge. You will be fine with both choices though for what you are trying to accomplish. :thumbsup:

Good luck and enjoy your search! :smile:

MPW

F

ffk_pennywise

I don't know much about the standard Raptor, but I can personally tell you the 54" SD will handle 3.25 acres weekly with ease. Takes me 1.8 hours to knock out my yard.

RetiredGuns

RetiredGuns

I think the old base FastTraks came with 2200s. I wonder how they held up? The deck is another consideration, but if you aren't mowing over holes, bad bumps, etc.. I can see mowing 2-3 acres. Anything more and I'd be a little concerned about heat and deck hardware in the long run.

djdicetn

djdicetn

I don't know much about the standard Raptor, but I can personally tell you the 54" SD will handle 3.25 acres weekly with ease. Takes me 1.8 hours to knock out my yard.
OK...not trying to sound like a "Mr. Know It All".....if you were relying on that Raptor SD to say mow 10 yards/week commercially for income and had 10 customers depending on you would you do that, or would you have considered stepping up the Hustler line a few steps?? I know you love your Hustler with good reason, but would you rely on it for income?

R

RaptorSD

OK...not trying to sound like a "Mr. Know It All".....if you were relying on that Raptor SD to say mow 10 yards/week commercially for income and had 10 customers depending on you would you do that, or would you have considered stepping up the Hustler line a few steps?? I know you love your Hustler with good reason, but would you rely on it for income?

To get going why not? What do you expect will fail in cutting 3acres+ that wont on your Gravely? I have 33hrs on my SD54, already changed the hydro oil I've run it so hard..oil came out clean. Put flex forks on it and it might outlast that mower and be a much smoother ride at that. If you sold that Gravely for a new RSD or FT we wont judge you :laughing:

S

Shughes717

Hi,
I am thinking about purchasing the 52" Raptor for $2,999.
I have heard nothing but great reviews and you can't beat the price with any of the competitors.
I will be mowing between 2 to 3 acres and possibly some more in the future.
Some have suggested the SD or Fast Track, but it is an over $1,000 jump in price.
Money is a huge concern for me and even though it may only make a difference of $25 in my monthly payments, it is significant to me.
Are the differences really that significant? Speed really doesn't matter all that much to me.
Thanks for your help!
Andy

To try to help you with your decision. The raptor comes with ezt wheel motors and a residential deck with blade tip speed between 16000 and 17000 feet per minute. The raptor sd comes with zt2800 wheel motors ( larger and more reliable than ezt) and the heavier deck with a blade tip speed between 18000 and 19000 feet per minute. The sd will cut a little better and the deck will hold up better. I don't want to presume too much about how much more than 2 to 3 acres you are going to mow. If you are on mainly flat ground with no steep slopes either will work. Though, I would prefer the raptor sd because you are getting more for your money. If money is an issue then you shouldn't over extend yourself with a mower you can't afford.

Carscw

Carscw

People think bigger is better. And they believe the hype the manufacturers tell them.

I race with the man that owns Carrollton hydraulics. His feelings are people waste their money buying a mower just because of the hydro set up.

The residential ZTRs with the sealed hydro drives like the raptor or timecutter will handle a lot more then some of you think.

I would buy the raptor for my work mower and I abuse mowers more then any if you could ever think of doing.

People said the timecutter would never last cutting more then 1 acre a week.
Buddy of mine got a 42 inch in 2006 he is well over 300 pounds. Has been cutting foreclosed homes with it for 8 years. Let's say 20 hours a week. Aside from routine maintenance he has replaced 5 deck spindles. And last week blew a head gasket. Not bad for a $2000 mower. With hydro drives that people say will not last 200 hours.

At the same time I see guys that have to replace pumps and motors on their $1200 mower.

I cut over 2000 yards last year with a cub cadet ltx1040 that cost me $1200 new and sold it a few months ago for $750. Hour meter stopped working at 999 hours.
I only replaced 4 deck spindles at $22 each.

M

MPW1216

People think bigger is better. And they believe the hype the manufacturers tell them.

I race with the man that owns Carrollton hydraulics. His feelings are people waste their money buying a mower just because of the hydro set up.

The residential ZTRs with the sealed hydro drives like the raptor or timecutter will handle a lot more then some of you think.

I would buy the raptor for my work mower and I abuse mowers more then any if you could ever think of doing.

Buddy of mine got a 42 inch in 2006 he is well over 300 pounds. Has been cutting foreclosed homes with it for 8 years. Let's say 20 hours a week. Aside from routine maintenance he has replaced 5 deck spindles. And last week blew a head gasket. Not bad for a $2000 mower. With hydro drives that people say will not last 200 hours.

At the same time I see guys that have to replace pumps and motors on their $1200 mower.

I cut over 2000 yards last year with a cub cadet ltx1040 that cost me $1200 new and sold it a few months ago for $750. Hour meter stopped working at 999 hours.

Amen! Alot of truth to those statements! Often we spend significantly more money and often rarely realize the benefits of said additional investment. (i.e. turning over said investment to quickly, not enough use, etc.) I often tell people to do the math between spending extra for the next step up or extra option against the POSSIBLE maintenance costs of sticking with the lesser option. In the long run, the math seldom tilts in the favor of spending more. Kind of like buying a car for it's reliability then trading it in 3 years later with 40000 miles! :laughing: Waste of money! Having said all of that, there is also solice in spending extra on things and if you have the financial inclination, spend away!

djdicetn

djdicetn

To get going why not? What do you expect will fail in cutting 3acres+ that wont on your Gravely? I have 33hrs on my SD54, already changed the hydro oil I've run it so hard..oil came out clean. Put flex forks on it and it might outlast that mower and be a much smoother ride at that. If you sold that Gravely for a new RSD or FT we wont judge you :laughing:

Many guys think they can start a lawn service on a $3k ZTR and I agree...it may get them through one or two seasons so they can make enough money to upgrade. But they can also shoot themselves in the foot by underbuying, getting a good customer base and then having a component failure problem where they miss many of their customers(who will immediately abandon them for another service when their lawn needs cutting and you aren't available. My Gravely is a fully Commercial ZTR and I would not hesitate to mow 10-20 yards a week with it. If you want to chance mowing 10-20 yards a week on that SD54 go for it. Changed hydro oil at < 33 hours????? Most mfr's recommend first change at 75 hours. What made you think that you run yours so much harder that it required a hydro service so early??? BTW, I wouldn't trade my Gravely for two Raptor SD54's....at an even trade!!!

djdicetn

djdicetn

The reason you are so successful without investing in brand new Commercial ZTR's is that you are a savvy businessman who knows the value of backup equipment. You have so many mowers that if one breaks down you take it in your stride and use another mower until you can repair the one that broke(a quality that not everyone possesses....the repairing). But would you really recommend that someone start a lawn business with "one" Hustler Raptor and no backup equipment???? IMHO, I could buy 2 Raptor SD's and start a lawn service or my Gravely Commercial and a base Raptor for backup and start a lawn service. As much as I like my Gravely, it would not be wise to start a business with only one mower regardless of how good it is.

Carscw

Carscw

Many guys think they can start a lawn service on a $3k ZTR and I agree...it may get them through one or two seasons so they can make enough money to upgrade. But they can also shoot themselves in the foot by underbuying, getting a good customer base and then having a component failure problem where they miss many of their customers(who will immediately abandon them for another service when their lawn needs cutting and you aren't available. My Gravely is a fully Commercial ZTR and I would not hesitate to mow 10-20 yards a week with it. If you want to chance mowing 10-20 yards a week on that SD54 go for it. Changed hydro oil at < 33 hours????? Most mfr's recommend first change at 75 hours. What made you think that you run yours so much harder that it required a hydro service so early??? BTW, I wouldn't trade my Gravely for two Raptor SD54's....at an even trade!!!

Only thing I am going to add is if you was going to cut 20 yards a week then the smart move would be to trade your one mower for two new raptors.
Now before you go off the deep end I will tell you why.

If you are doing lawn care for a living it would be better to have the two cheaper raptors then your high dollar gravely.

This is how it plays out you are cutting a yard and feeling proud with the big mower then BANG hydro goes out. Takes the dealer that you brag about that takes good care of you 3 weeks to fix it. And his loaner mower is being used by some other guy that does not have two mowers. Now you have no yards to cut.

The guy with the two cheaper mowers BANG a hydro goes out. Uses the other one to put the broke one on the trailer and keeps cutting his yards.

Best to have two cheap mowers then one high dollar mower.

For anyone to get into lawn care and not have more then one of everything makes him a fool.

If all he can afford is one raptor then he
needs to buy a used rider as a back up.

This is not fact but just my opinion

Carscw

Carscw

Only thing I am going to add is if you was going to cut 20 yards a week then the smart move would be to trade your one mower for two new raptors. Now before you go off the deep end I will tell you why. If you are doing lawn care for a living it would be better to have the two cheaper raptors then your high dollar gravely. This is how it plays out you are cutting a yard and feeling proud with the big mower then BANG hydro goes out. Takes the dealer that you brag about that takes good care of you 3 weeks to fix it. And his loaner mower is being used by some other guy that does not have two mowers. Now you have no yards to cut. The guy with the two cheaper mowers BANG a hydro goes out. Uses the other one to put the broke one on the trailer and keeps cutting his yards. Best to have two cheap mowers then one high dollar mower. For anyone to get into lawn care and not have more then one of everything makes him a fool. If all he can afford is one raptor then he needs to buy a used rider as a back up. This is not fact but just my opinion

Wrote all this before I saw your last comment

Carscw

Carscw

The reason you are so successful without investing in brand new Commercial ZTR's is that you are a savvy businessman who knows the value of backup equipment. You have so many mowers that if one breaks down you take it in your stride and use another mower until you can repair the one that broke(a quality that not everyone possesses....the repairing). But would you really recommend that someone start a lawn business with "one" Hustler Raptor and no backup equipment???? IMHO, I could buy 2 Raptor SD's and start a lawn service or my Gravely Commercial and a base Raptor for backup and start a lawn service. As much as I like my Gravely, it would not be wise to start a business with only one mower regardless of how good it is.

I agree with everything you said.

I buy all my hand held equipment new and pay the extra for more warranty when it is offered. When the warranty is up I give them away to some teenager that is starting out and buy new ones.

My wife loved the cheap ryobi trimmers. The coils would go out after about 6 months I wrote ryobi and they send me a case of coils. She is starting to like the echo srm230

djdicetn

djdicetn

I agree with everything you said.

I buy all my hand held equipment new and pay the extra for more warranty when it is offered. When the warranty is up I give them away to some teenager that is starting out and buy new ones.

My wife loved the cheap ryobi trimmers. The coils would go out after about 6 months I wrote ryobi and they send me a case of coils. She is starting to like the echo srm230
Yeah...even though I said I wouldn't hesitate mowing 10-20 yards/week with my Gravely, I've learned enough from you guys on this forum to know that one good ZTR doesn't mean you can start a lawn service. Especially an entry-level Residential ZTR. Be careful what you recommend or you might be the next user labeled as a "Mr. Know It All":0)

Carscw

Carscw

Yeah...even though I said I wouldn't hesitate mowing 10-20 yards/week with my Gravely, I've learned enough from you guys on this forum to know that one good ZTR doesn't mean you can start a lawn service. Especially an entry-level Residential ZTR. Be careful what you recommend or you might be the next user labeled as a "Mr. Know It All":0)

Ha ha I have been called worse then a mr know it all on here.
It don't bother me I have fun every day and learn something New every day.