Husqvarna 265ACX (or 260ACX) Automower.

Perry

Threads
1 Lucky Texan said:
the 18650 cyl. batt (18.6 × 65.2 - ~68mm with prot. crct.) is probably in a vast majority of Li-ion powered products. is the present pack's dimension some multiple of those battery dimensions? Quite possible they are the newer 21700 size, maybe 12 in that 'pack'.
I wish I could reply intelligently to all that, but what you describe is somewhat beyond my present understanding - sorry. However, I looked at various sources, so have gleaned some small idea of what your talking about.

I can't find any dimensions for the battery pack, but the pic below is what it's supposed to look like. The way the shrink wrap looks, it gives the impression of six pairs of batteries, doesn't it? Six parralled pairs of 3.7v units in series = 22.2 volts, which is close to the 22v that the packs are rated at.

attachment.php

Perhaps six pairs of something like this:

gomax-18650-li-ion-battery-true-3400mah-button-top-12-58wh-3-7v-protected-rechargeable-li-ion-batteries-for-high-drain-devices-li-ion-cells-made-by-panasonic-japan-not-for-vapor-1-gomax-battery.jpg

I shall know more when I get to pull the shrink wrap off an old battery pack.

Perry

Threads
Over the years, Coxy tends to have created a couple of wheel ruts in the grass, leading into his charging station. I considered plastic duckboarding, so that the potential for wear and tear of the cleats on his main wheels would be reduced. But it was simpler to put down some metal grating, obtained from surplus from the shingle quarry, down the road.

I did some sodding to fill in the ruts, then put the grating over the top and rammed it down. I hope that the grass will largely obscure the grating, after a while of re-growth.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Perry

Threads
Well, Coxy's back on the job, complete with his new battery packs installed, plus a replacement blade disc shaft bearing. (Can't hear him coming, now.) New blades and blade bolts, too.

I took one of the old packs to pieces, after checking the voltages.

Both old battery packs showing a no-load voltage of 23.3v

All individual cells indicating 3.8v no-load voltage

The Swing 4400 is rated at 4400 mAh

Unit price $US5.74 (buying five or more at a time)

Six in the pack = $US34.44

A Husqvarna branded pack is approx $US170 or $NZ238 ex-Europe, plus freight. Had one been available from the local (NZ) dealer, it was going to cost me $506, including sales tax of 15%. ($NZ440 excluding tax)

So the cabling, the small printed circuit board, plus battery terminal tabs, a thermocouple [battery temperature sensor], assembly, a few other things, some tape and shrink-wrapping adds on quite a bit to the actual cost of the batteries, alone.

battery_pack01s.jpg

battery_pack03s.jpg

battery_pack06s.jpg

battery_pack07s.jpg

battery_pcb1s.jpg

A few posts back, I proffered an operational cost-of-running. Once I know how much the dealer charges me for the bearing and housing, plus labour, I'll re-calculate the costings, to give a more accurate (realistic?) per-hour running cost.

Last edited:

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
so the sub-assembled battery packs are 2x 18650 s.

did you just move the circuit boards over from the old pack?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A lot of the charge controllers have a counter in them which is set to shut off the battery pack after a specified number of recharges.
This is a safety issue as over time the batteries degrade and pose a fire risk exactly the same as what happens with laptops a few years back.
Thus you MIGHT find that a repacked battery will stop working suddenly for no apparent reason.

have a look around, we have a lot of workshops that repack old lap top batteries and they usually can do most power tools as well.
These place have the knowledge & equipment to reset a counting if it is there.

Perry

Threads
so the sub-assembled battery packs are 2x 18650 s.
Are they? It's hard to tell. There is no obvious outwards sign that there are two standard cells inside each green outer.

EDIT:
I stripped the green wrapping off the outer (two sides on two cells) and there's a metallic all-in-one case, underneath that. Still could be two cells inside that, I suppose.

did you just move the circuit boards over from the old pack?
Not me. That's one of the old battery packs, unwrapped by me. We have battery pack re-builders in New Zealand and one has responded saying that he thinks the hardest part would be getting the Boston Swing 4400 batteries into NZ, given how nervous carriers are about Li-ion batteries.

But, now that I have had the new ones installed, then, based on the life of the original packs, the need for another replacement should be 4 years away.

Last edited:

Perry

Threads
A lot of the charge controllers have a counter in them which is set to shut off the battery pack after a specified number of recharges. Thus you MIGHT find that a repacked battery will stop working suddenly for no apparent reason.
Despite all cells and packs showing the appropriate voltage, I suspect that it was depth-of-charge that became the problem. That observation is based on Coxy's charging station visits seeming to become about double in frequency. And that seemed sudden, too. I.e. no slow progression.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Are they? It's hard to tell. There is no obvious outwards sign that there are two standard cells inside each green outer.

EDIT:
I stripped the green wrapping off the outer (two sides on two cells) and there's a metallic all-in-one case, underneath that. Still could be two cells inside that, I suppose.

Not me. That's one of the old battery packs, unwrapped by me. We have battery pack re-builders in New Zealand and one has responded saying that he thinks the hardest part would be getting the Boston Swing 4400 batteries into NZ, given how nervous carriers are about Li-ion batteries.

But, now that I have had the new ones installed, then, based on the life of the original packs, the need for another replacement should be 4 years away.

part of the description at that link indicates it 2 ea. 18650

BOSTON POWER SWING 4400
Re-battery: Li-Ion; 2xMR18650

anyway, seems like a path forward.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
A lot of the charge controllers have a counter in them which is set to shut off the battery pack after a specified number of recharges.
This is a safety issue as over time the batteries degrade and pose a fire risk exactly the same as what happens with laptops a few years back.
Thus you MIGHT find that a repacked battery will stop working suddenly for no apparent reason.

have a look around, we have a lot of workshops that repack old lap top batteries and they usually can do most power tools as well.
These place have the knowledge & equipment to reset a counting if it is there.

good post

Perry

Threads
part of the description at that link indicates it 2 ea. 18650
So where it says . . .
Battery size - 2xMR18650
. . . . you reckon that means the pack contains, rather than the pack size is 18650.

When fossicking around, looking for batteries, I got the idea that the 18650 was a size factors number. I.e. the battery was 18mm diameter by 65 mm long. (Don't recall what the zero stood for)

If there are indeed two individual cells in there, they sure have gone to a lot of trouble to contain them.