Humm Breaking into the Professional Lawn Care Business

Lawnpro1969

Threads
  • / Humm Breaking into the Professional Lawn Care Business
Yes a $75.00 lawn is a big lawn with a lot of trees to trim around. Most of my lawn are a half acre or better some one else said if he used a zero turn his customers would get rid of him. When you are doing a 10 X 10 lawn you don't need a ztr. But for the bigger lawn you need a bigger mower. I travel more than you do my closest one to my house is about 2 mile away. The most I travel I would guess is about 18. - 20 miles away. I would guess in a day I travel 20 - 25 miles a day 6 days a week. My 2006 ford F350 got totaled tonight less than half a mile from my house I got hit by a dump truck

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Everything you said is true Ric at least here where i live. I have been in the business 10 years, and because i don't conform to their ideal lawn care setup i am a hack.. They all think i should buy a dually, 20' trailer with 2 or 3 mowers, and ztrs at that. In my experience, and feedback from my customers if i come into their yard with a ztr i wont be cutting their grass anymore. I like my s10 its much better on gas, and my 5x8 trailer is all i need. I have 0 overhead, and that's the way you make $$$ not all the BS they claim.. So do it your way Ric you will put more $$ in your pocket, and ignore the "experts" :laughing:

Some one wrote an article on How To Fail At Lawn Care and it was real interesting. It basically centered around growing your business to the point of going out of business. There's a lot to be said for being a small business, like you said 0 overhead, I owe nothing to nobody for my equipment, I don't have too worry about employees and all the insurance and all the hassles that goes along with them. Staying small has its benefits. If you're smart and keep your clients and routes close you spend more time mowing and on the job making money instead of on the highway spending it.

I do know what your talking about or coming from about not conforming and being called a hack and a lowballer if you don't do there way, I guess I've never conformed well but ya know it makes me feel good when that guy with a dually, 20' trailer with 2 or 3 mowers comes pulling up and finds you doing a lawn he was doing last week 4_13_13.gifdisappoint.gif Yea they can call me what they want just don't call me when I'm going to the bank.

Threads
Yes a $75.00 lawn is a big lawn with a lot of trees to trim around. Most of my lawn are a half acre or better some one else said if he used a zero turn his customers would get rid of him. When you are doing a 10 X 10 lawn you don't need a ztr. But for the bigger lawn you need a bigger mower. I travel more than you do my closest one to my house is about 2 mile away. The most I travel I would guess is about 18. - 20 miles away. I would guess in a day I travel 20 - 25 miles a day 6 days a week. My 2006 ford F350 got totaled tonight less than half a mile from my house I got hit by a dump truck

Sorry to hear about your truck Lawnpro1969 hey man as long as you are ok you can get another truck.. On the other subject my longest drive was 56 miles but it was a good commercial yard i got $150 for about 40 mins work.., and had 2 other accounts close to it that where $75 each so it made it worth the drive. I would love to get a ztr but my customers now dont like them sooo i just use my old lawn tractor. I do use a bunton 61" ztr for one lawn though time is $$, and zts are the best for time.. Good luck with your truck...:smile:

Lawnpro1969

Threads
ZTR are great for time they also do a beautiful job cutting. Problem if not used properly they can tear up the turf. I got hit broad side yesterday by another landscaper. He lost control going to fast on wet roads while towing a bobcat. I'm ok hurting a lot today lucky I have a second truck.I will be glad to get the ford replaced wort part about the whole thing. Was this is the best ford I ever owned one of the best trucks I ever had. It was a gas hog but it run great 5.4 gas engine would push or pull anything.

Threads
ZTR are great for time they also do a beautiful job cutting. Problem if not used properly they can tear up the turf. I got hit broad side yesterday by another landscaper. He lost control going to fast on wet roads while towing a bobcat. I'm ok hurting a lot today lucky I have a second truck.I will be glad to get the ford replaced wort part about the whole thing. Was this is the best ford I ever owned one of the best trucks I ever had. It was a gas hog but it run great 5.4 gas engine would push or pull anything.

Yep that Bunton i use does about 13 mph a little to fast but as you said it will tear up a yard quick if not careful.. Your gonna be sore for awhile i bet but it could have been worse, and its good you got another truck.

camaroz

Forum Newbie
Threads
I usually don't post on random issues like this but after reading 4 pages, I thought I would chime in. Ric, you seem to be having an issue with 1 lawn contractor in your area. You post a rant, and paint all lawn contractor with the same brush. Ranting is fine, sometimes you need to get it off your chest but by saying all lawn contractors are over-charging because they need to pay for their high priced trucks, trailers and equipment is just insulting.
You have 61 or so clients, be happy. You have filled a market that other contractor can't do or don't want to do. You also seem to be doing something right to keep those clients, I also believe image to be important, big difference between good image and irrogant image. Sounds like you have a good image in your community since most of your clients are in your area. People skills are equally important.
My point Ric, I don't mind your rant but please don't paint all lawn care professionals with the same brush.:thumbsup:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I usually don't post on random issues like this but after reading 4 pages, I thought I would chime in. Ric, you seem to be having an issue with 1 lawn contractor in your area. You post a rant, and paint all lawn contractor with the same brush. Ranting is fine, sometimes you need to get it off your chest but by saying all lawn contractors are over-charging because they need to pay for their high priced trucks, trailers and equipment is just insulting.
You have 61 or so clients, be happy. You have filled a market that other contractor can't do or don't want to do. You also seem to be doing something right to keep those clients, I also believe image to be important, big difference between good image and arrogant image. Sounds like you have a good image in your community since most of your clients are in your area. People skills are equally important.
My point Ric, I don't mind your rant but please don't paint all lawn care professionals with the same brush.:thumbsup:

Actually I don't have an issue with any in particular and it's not just my area or state that I'm referring too. I just know what I see, what I read on forums and what the majority do and don't do. There arrogant attitudes that they have and how they continually run down the new guy that's out trying to survive, referring to them as Hacks and Lowballers and then to see the jobs they these so called Professionals do is unbelievable.

I read post after post of how they charge and what they charge and they brag that they don't drop a gate unless they can make $50 to $60 a hour. Please 4_13_13.gifdisappoint.gif

They use the term Professional to boast about themselves and to justify there prices when personally I think there's no such thing in Lawn care as a Professional, I mean really it's not like the guy has gone and taken years of schooling and spent all kinds of money to become a Doctor or a Lawyer and yet they use the term Professional when they use a weedeater to edge sidewalks. 4_13_13.gifdisappoint.gif

23_29_109.gifI'm Ranting again ain't I.​

camaroz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, I understand what you are saying....I guess in this case, professional should be used loosely. Kinda like, when I am not working I am a golf professional.
BTW, I am not in the lawn care business. I came to this site because I like to restore/work on lawn tractors. So what I said about painting all with one brush, that is how I felt when I read your post. Maybe I read to much into your post. I will take this post as rant done. Time to move on..hard to change the things we can't change. Like someone said, laughing all the way to the bank could be the best revenge!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Threads
Yep let them talk if they want to if you are like me, and i know you are you go to bed at night with a clean conchense..:smile:

Lawnpro1969

Threads
I disagree there are some of us that went to school.I do lawn care and landscaping I have 20 or 25 books on lawn care.I'm a certified pesticide applicator. There is more to being a lawn care professional than cutting grass. Knowing what height to cut it when to cut it.changing directions knowing how to identify weeds what to put on them when to put it on.just cutting grass does not make a person a lawn care pro.but I think there is a true lawn care pro and you can go to school to learn about it. I have spent a lot of time in schools taking classes and reading books computer programs. I even have a lawn care app on my iPhone.