Humm Breaking into the Professional Lawn Care Business

Lawnpro1969

Threads
  • / Humm Breaking into the Professional Lawn Care Business
PyhooyaBooya said:
My 99 Chevy has some rust above the wheelwells. Does that make me fly by night?

Don't think I said that just said here in pa winter salt makes them rust quick.

Sent from my iPad using LMF

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
This is the Greatest thing about America. We can voice our opinion and at the end of the day,

"We can Agree to Disagree" :laughing::thumbsup: Does any of this really matter? I Think NOT!
Next Subject.:laughing::biggrin:

Lawnpro1969

Threads
I kinda thought so but wasn't sure. I just sniffed my iPad smells ok to me.LOL

C&R Lawn Care

Threads
Ric equipment does matter much. Doesn't mean you can over charge everyone but it does matter you go out a cut a lawn with a (example) timecutter by toro and then go cut it with a z-master from toro a 190% cut difference.

And lawnpro I do agree with you on keeping my mowers and trucks clean and newer.

Because one Thing I have learned in this biz. Is that impression is everything.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric equipment does matter much. Doesn't mean you can over charge everyone but it does matter you go out a cut a lawn with a (example) timecutter by toro and then go cut it with a z-master from toro a 190% cut difference.

And lawnpro I do agree with you on keeping my mowers and trucks clean and newer.

Well to a certain degree, possibly equipment could matter as in being well maintained and clean. I agree equipment shouldn't be used to justify price but the fact is that in a great percentage of cases it's used as leverage against the customer to justify a lawn company's price. I can't count the number of times I've heard I have to charge this amount to cover my overhead. 4_13_13.gifdisappoint.gif

If what you say is true about Impression and keeping mowers and trucks clean and newer and that impression is everything why do I see these guys driving 10 year old trucks and mowers replacing people with all this newer equipment? The answer is that they the costumer are impressed with the job they do not the equipment they do it with and paying an affordable price, it's the end result that counts or impresses people not equipment.

AS far as your comparison of the two Toros cutting lawns and one cutting better than the other, IMO it doesn't hold water. I think when you're trying to compare the quality of cut in mowers you have to figure in the operator in the equation and whether or not the mowers are being used and operated the way they are intended to be used, which I mite add very few people do professional or not.

Lawnpro1969

Threads
C&R Lawn Care said:

Impression means a lot good quality trucks and equipment and keeping them neat and clean mean a lot.most people assume if you are neat and clean and if you are fussy about your equipment you will be fussy about your work and you will do a good job. And 99% of the time that is true I agree also that equipment does not mean you can over charge. But what do you consider over charging just because someone else is willing to work a lot cheaper does that mean I'm over charging. Isn't the bottom Line customer satisfaction if they are happy with the work and price isn't that what really matters.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Impression means a lot good quality trucks and equipment and keeping them neat and clean mean a lot.most people assume if you are neat and clean and if you are fussy about your equipment you will be fussy about your work and you will do a good job. And 99% of the time that is true I agree also that equipment does not mean you can over charge. But what do you consider over charging just because someone else is willing to work a lot cheaper does that mean I'm over charging. Isn't the bottom Line customer satisfaction if they are happy with the work and price isn't that what really matters.

Now we gone from clean, newer trucks, newer mowers to good quality trucks and equipment. :wink: Seems our impression factor has come down some what.:smile: Just kidding.

You say having the newer equipment just shows we have been around for a long time and put a lot of hard work and pride into are business. Question.... What about the guy that has all that and more that just broke into the business a month ago. You know today I can go to most any lawn mower shop and have at least three different options of financing available, sign my name on the bottom line and walk out with 30K in mowers and equipment and anyone with a descent credit line can do the same thing, so really newer trucks and equipment doesn't show me or prove to me that you've been around a long time or that you can do the job.

As a customer I really wouldn't care if you showed up with a fancy truck and trailer, nice mowers etc or your equipment came from Lowes or Home Depot if you want to impress me do a real good job on my lawn at a fair price. After all guys it ain't Rocket Science.

But what do you consider over charging just because someone else is willing to work a lot cheaper does that mean I'm over charging. Isn't the bottom Line customer satisfaction if they are happy with the work and price isn't that what really matters.

Lawn Pro I have a question you said I use John Deere, Stihl and Echo equipment I personally think that is the best money can buy.
How many mowers do you have and how big is your equipment list and what price would you charge for a typical size lawn and Why?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just Thought I would post a couple of responses from another forum and what others are saying about Image and Impression and how important it is to customers. I think it's interesting what some other businesses are finding out.

First Post
Have you ever provided your customers with a comprehensive "customer survey" in which to gauge what is important to them. What I have found, in my experience, is that most LCO's run around telling themselves that image is everything because THEY want nice things. However, through our extensive "customer surveys" we have found that "professional appearance of equipment" ranks dead last among what is important to our customers. In addition, while equipment came in dead last, "professional appearance of crews" came in second to last.

Our demographic of customers is even or slightly above yours in home costs. The range would be from $175K to $500K. I think if you actively studied what is important to YOUR CUSTOMERS it would greatly affect your expenditures.

second post
Great response.. I have been saying this for years on here....Whereas a professional image is nice, to customers, we are the lawn-boy. I don't care if you are a ten truck operation you're still the lawn guy...We did surveys as well and customers care about, price, dependability, and a decent job. They don't care if your truck is a 2006 or a 1986. They don't care if you mow with a $12,000 ztr or a $99 walmart push mower.

We;re the only ones that care about
Nice trucks
Nice equipment
Uniforms

They care that when they call, someone answers the phone and that they're not paying more than their neighbor.