HRR216 Carb Problems

gossamer

Threads
Hi, I have a Honda HRR216 that I picked up off the street and trying to get running again. I replaced the carb, and it starts with a bit of starter fluid, but not on its own.

There's no primer bulb. Are there other adjustments I'm missing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post complete model & serial numbers, thanks Mark
Carburetor is Honda OEM Part for your engine, items 12 & 13 gaskets. Fresh ethanol 87 gasoline, I prefer 93 octane with Star Tron fuel Treatment mixed per instructions on bottle. Inspect air filter & spark plug for replacement & adjust valves with engine cold, Change oil after warmup, let us know how it goes, thanks Mark

Last edited:

gossamer

Threads
Post complete model & serial numbers, thanks Mark
Carburetor is Honda OEM Part for your engine, items 12 & 13 gaskets. Fresh ethanol 87 gasoline, I prefer 93 octane with Star Tron fuel Treatment mixed per instructions on bottle. Inspect air filter & spark plug for replacement & adjust valves with engine cold, Change oil after warmup, let us know how it goes, thanks Mark
Just now seeing your update. This is the carb I purchased. Are you able to tell me if this is suitable?

gossamer

Threads
No, Honda OEM Parts are original replacement engine specific.
Given how difficult it is to replace the carb again, is there any way to make adjustments on it once it's installed? Do you think it's possible it just needs to be adjusted? Could it be related to the air/fuel mixture screw?

upupandaway

Threads
Hi, I have a Honda HRR216 that I picked up off the street and trying to get running again. I replaced the carb, and it starts with a bit of starter fluid, but not on its own.

There's no primer bulb. Are there other adjustments I'm missing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Take off the air filter. Push the throttle to choke\start. In the carb right behind the black plastic that holds the air filter, do u see a 'brass' "door" closed or still open?

gossamer

Threads
Take off the air filter. Push the throttle to choke\start. In the carb right behind the black plastic that holds the air filter, do u see a 'brass' "door" closed or still open?
Thanks so much for your help. It is fully open with the throttle in the fully on position.

I believe it should be closed, to allow a greater concentration of gas to get it started, correct?

upupandaway

Threads
Thanks so much for your help. It is fully open with the throttle in the fully on position.

I believe it should be closed, to allow a greater concentration of gas to get it started, correct?
EXACTLY!

Have wifey keep moving the throttle all the way forward and back.
Now look just right of the air filter holder and you should see a piece turning as she moves the throttle.
NOW....just left of the part turning, as she pushes it all the way forward(choke), it should lift a piece. This piece closes the choke- that brass "door".
The piece that is pushed up, should be horizontal. Many times, this piece bends up so it doesn't travel far enough to close the choke. With needle nose pliers bend it so it is horizontal. Push it up with the pliers or have the wife push the throttle to choke again and see if the choke closes now. Bend that piece further down(but not too much) if the door(choke) doesn't fully close. If it does, try to start it now.

When I find hondas almost 1/2 the time it is this "feature".

Last edited:

gossamer

Threads
EXACTLY!

Have wifey keep moving the throttle all the way forward and back.
Now look just right of the air filter holder and you should see a piece turning as she moves the throttle.
NOW....just left of the part turning, as she pushes it all the way forward(choke), it should lift a piece. This piece closes the choke- that brass "door".
The piece that is pushed up, should be horizontal. Many times, this piece bends up so it doesn't travel far enough to close the choke. With needle nose pliers bend it so it is horizontal. Push it up with the pliers or have the wife push the throttle to choke again and see if the choke closes now. Bend that piece further down(but not too much) if the door(choke) doesn't fully close. If it does, try to start it now.

When I find hondas almost 1/2 the time it is this "feature".
I think I know what you're talking about. The picture here is from when the throttle is fully ON. The choke should be in the closed position but it is not. You are right that it doesn't appear to go up far enough to fully close the choke. The arrows in red are part of the assembly that connects to the bar that forces the choke closed. Note that it is currently at a right angle. Making it horizontal would only be possible by flattening it in the direction of the bigger visible screen in my screenshot. I don't feel like the piece pointed to by the top red arrow is misshapen or bent like I would need to bend it back somehow.

Perhaps you have other ideas or suggestions from this picture?

honda-choke-closed.jpg