HRM215K3 HXA hard to pull start

Pars

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the above HRM215 mower, 24 years old. Over time, it has become hard to pull start for me. If I engage the blade, it is much easier to pull start. Is there anything regarding the blade brake clutch that could cause this? Due to an oil leak, I bought a used HRX217 (same configuration) and have no trouble starting this one. I had planned on giving the 215 to my son's fiance's mother, but know she wouldn't be able to start it. Carb has been cleaned, replaced; ignition is fine, and the mower runs great.

Thanks for any thoughts!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pull the oil stick and SMELL for fuel.

Pull the spark plug and then pull the rope. See if any liquid shoots out the plug hole.

Pars

Forum Newbie
Threads
My son used this to mow our lawn today (I wanted to check for any oil leaks), and it seemed good. I pulled the oil dipstick, and it doesn't smell like fuel (smells petroleum like, but didn't get a strong hint of gas). There was some smoke coming out of the dipstick tube.

I was having problems with an oil leak on this mower. I had a mobile repair guy out and he found it was leaking from the cap on the breather so he replaced that gasket. I mowed the yard and it was once again leaking. He thinks it is building up pressure internally, but isn't into doing heavy duty repairs so bowed out. I took it to a repair shop locally, and asked them to check for a blown head gasket. They think it is fine, but replaced the upper crank seal. After mowing today, no leak.

I didn't pull the plug and test that, but will tomorrow.