Export thread

HRM215K3 HXA hard to pull start

P

Pars

I have the above HRM215 mower, 24 years old. Over time, it has become hard to pull start for me. If I engage the blade, it is much easier to pull start. Is there anything regarding the blade brake clutch that could cause this? Due to an oil leak, I bought a used HRX217 (same configuration) and have no trouble starting this one. I had planned on giving the 215 to my son's fiance's mother, but know she wouldn't be able to start it. Carb has been cleaned, replaced; ignition is fine, and the mower runs great.

Thanks for any thoughts!

S

slomo

Pull the oil stick and SMELL for fuel.

Pull the spark plug and then pull the rope. See if any liquid shoots out the plug hole.

P

Pars

My son used this to mow our lawn today (I wanted to check for any oil leaks), and it seemed good. I pulled the oil dipstick, and it doesn't smell like fuel (smells petroleum like, but didn't get a strong hint of gas). There was some smoke coming out of the dipstick tube.

I was having problems with an oil leak on this mower. I had a mobile repair guy out and he found it was leaking from the cap on the breather so he replaced that gasket. I mowed the yard and it was once again leaking. He thinks it is building up pressure internally, but isn't into doing heavy duty repairs so bowed out. I took it to a repair shop locally, and asked them to check for a blown head gasket. They think it is fine, but replaced the upper crank seal. After mowing today, no leak.

I didn't pull the plug and test that, but will tomorrow.