How to identify Craftsman MTD model

Southerner

Threads
Is there a way to find/get the model number for my Craftsman (MTD made) 159cc self propelled push mower? The model sticker came out a few years ago. There is a metal MTD tag on the side of the BS motor but it only tells what oil to use.

I drug it out yesterday to mow the yard and the wheels would not turn. When I tried to engage the handlebar levers they went very limp. I figured it was the gearbox and spent over 2 hours today trying to get the gearbox cover off (there are 9 bolts holding it!). When I got it off it looked like the gearbox and handlebar lever were working as they should but because the throttle cable was limp I could not even try to start it (very hard). When I pulled on the wire in the throttle cable sheath...it came out! yes the stainless steel cable had broken in the sheath despite using oil in it. Now I have to find a replacement throttle cable but need the model number to do that. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Get the actual model,type,code from the engine as well as other features of the mower such as deck size bagger or not etc. Sometimes the model number can be found by narrowing down the possible models to a year. Also the cable cover may have the part number stamped into it.

woodstover

Threads
Usually the cable sheath itself has a number imprinted on it. You can use that number to order a new cable.

Southerner

Threads
Usually the cable sheath itself has a number imprinted on it. You can use that number to order a new cable.
Unfortunately that cable was replaced once before and not with the correct one. I did some measuring and need a 61 inch cable. MTD sells one but one "catch" on the end of one sheath does not look right to me. I did order #946-04299 but not sure it will fit. I was hoping there was a way to identify the model that I have.

Thank you.

woodstover

Threads
Unfortunately that cable was replaced once before and not with the correct one. I did some measuring and need a 61 inch cable. MTD sells one but one "catch" on the end of one sheath does not look right to me. I did order #946-04299 but not sure it will fit. I was hoping there was a way to identify the model that I have.

Thank you.
But the cable was working fine before it broke? So why not go with it again.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

Thank you.
Post the model, type and code number from the engine. Numbers may be on a tag next to the air filter, but also could be stamped into the side of the block on opposite of engine as carb.

Southerner

Threads
But the cable was working fine before it broke? So why not go with it again.
Not working fine but worked. The cable I need is 61" long total. I had replaced this same cable last year with one I had on hand but it was way too long. The sheath is/was 63" long and the cable was 75" long so way too long and only lasted a year. It was supposed to be stainless steel cable but I have never had a stainless steel cable rust in two in only a year like this one did!

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
What happened to your owners manual?

Southerner

Threads
The owner's manual went away several years ago since Sears did not put in any parts drawings. This mower is about 10 to12 years old.