Export thread

How to identify Craftsman MTD model

S

Southerner

Is there a way to find/get the model number for my Craftsman (MTD made) 159cc self propelled push mower? The model sticker came out a few years ago. There is a metal MTD tag on the side of the BS motor but it only tells what oil to use.

I drug it out yesterday to mow the yard and the wheels would not turn. When I tried to engage the handlebar levers they went very limp. I figured it was the gearbox and spent over 2 hours today trying to get the gearbox cover off (there are 9 bolts holding it!). When I got it off it looked like the gearbox and handlebar lever were working as they should but because the throttle cable was limp I could not even try to start it (very hard). When I pulled on the wire in the throttle cable sheath...it came out! yes the stainless steel cable had broken in the sheath despite using oil in it. Now I have to find a replacement throttle cable but need the model number to do that. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

I

ILENGINE

Get the actual model,type,code from the engine as well as other features of the mower such as deck size bagger or not etc. Sometimes the model number can be found by narrowing down the possible models to a year. Also the cable cover may have the part number stamped into it.

woodstover

woodstover

Usually the cable sheath itself has a number imprinted on it. You can use that number to order a new cable.

S

Southerner

Usually the cable sheath itself has a number imprinted on it. You can use that number to order a new cable.
Unfortunately that cable was replaced once before and not with the correct one. I did some measuring and need a 61 inch cable. MTD sells one but one "catch" on the end of one sheath does not look right to me. I did order #946-04299 but not sure it will fit. I was hoping there was a way to identify the model that I have.

Thank you.

woodstover

woodstover

Unfortunately that cable was replaced once before and not with the correct one. I did some measuring and need a 61 inch cable. MTD sells one but one "catch" on the end of one sheath does not look right to me. I did order #946-04299 but not sure it will fit. I was hoping there was a way to identify the model that I have.

Thank you.
But the cable was working fine before it broke? So why not go with it again.

I

ILENGINE

Thank you.
Post the model, type and code number from the engine. Numbers may be on a tag next to the air filter, but also could be stamped into the side of the block on opposite of engine as carb.

S

Southerner

But the cable was working fine before it broke? So why not go with it again.
Not working fine but worked. The cable I need is 61" long total. I had replaced this same cable last year with one I had on hand but it was way too long. The sheath is/was 63" long and the cable was 75" long so way too long and only lasted a year. It was supposed to be stainless steel cable but I have never had a stainless steel cable rust in two in only a year like this one did!

M

MParr

What happened to your owners manual?

S

Southerner

What happened to your owners manual?

S

Southerner

The owner's manual went away several years ago since Sears did not put in any parts drawings. This mower is about 10 to12 years old.

I

ILENGINE

The owner's manual went away several years ago since Sears did not put in any parts drawings. This mower is about 10 to12 years old.
Get me the model type and code from the Briggs engines. I can get into the the MTD system and find a model number or several that used that engine for a certain year that would narrow down your possible matches if the diagrams list the engine used..

S

Southerner

Get me the model type and code from the Briggs engines. I can get into the the MTD system and find a model number or several that used that engine for a certain year that would narrow down your possible matches if the diagrams list the engine used..
Where would I find the motor model and type? There is a metal plate stuck to side of motor but all it has is oil info and emmission. I found a couple bar codes on the mower deck. One says Lot # TM1QC56 then SN# 5X65RU/162A0829
another bar code that I suspect is a IPC number: 43033571727. I do not see motor model. Is it under the cowling for the recoil start?

The metal tag on the motor says:
Emission Control Information
MTD Consumer group
EXH Family ECZHS1591V1 ECS EM Disp: 159cc
EVP Family ECZHPNEQCPX CPXP ECS: CP

the rest is oil info, valve lash, spark plug gap.

Thank you.

StarTech

StarTech

247.377300 (12ABB22J799) - Craftsman Walk-Behind Mower (2015)

with MTD 5X65RU engine SN 162A0829.

Engine brake cable (Zone) PN 946-05105A.
  • Cable Ends Z bend on both ends
  • Cable Length 69 1/2"
  • Conduit Length 63 1/8"

I

ILENGINE

MTD made in China engine not Briggs as thought

S

Southerner

• Cable Length 69 1/2"
  • Conduit Length 63 1/8"
Yes that is the mower. I was trying to find decent images of the various parts blowups but everyone that offers parts blowup images offers one that is so blurry as to be unusable.

I see MTD/Sears say it does take the 946-05105A cable but that is WAY TOO LONG! That is the same length cable I just had and it was way too long. What I need is a 61" cable. The 61" cables that Cub and MTD offer do not have the dawgs for retainers like the 946-05105A have.

Thank you for the help.

StarTech

StarTech

Then look at 946-0555.
  • 55" Conduit length
  • 62" Cable length

S

Southerner

• Cable Length 69 1/2"
  • Conduit Length 63 1/8"
I got a 946-0555 but it does not quite work. The cable needs to be 62 inches or maybe 62½" and the sheath needs to be 58 inches. I was able to verify that a new cable would fix the problem by installing the 946-0555 but had to leave the handle end of the cable out of the holder and had to hold or zip tie the sheath end about 3" below the holder for that catch. that is how I came up with the needed length of each. With the 946-0555 it is still an inch or 2 too short as the engage handle can not be pulled back all the way but only about half way.

That brings me to my question. Where do I find pieces to make my own cable and sheath and end dawgs for the sheath? It looks like that would be my best bet. I suspect the 946-05105A will work but it is way too long. I am sure that was what I had there until it rusted and broke.

Thank you for your help.