How to add a kill switch

jmalluck

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a Briggs 219807-3695 12.5 hp to repower my Snapper rider.
I can't figure out how to install the Briggs kill switch 692310 which I had to buy separately.
When the throttle is pushed to stop, the switch should make contact with the control bracket, but it does not.
Is there another part that I was supposed to buy with the switch?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
From what I can gather you insert the kill switch from the back side so it makes contact with the correct part of the pivot to kill the engine.. Sometimes that pivot that is suppose to contact the kill switch will be painted and will not kill the engine, so you may also need to remove the paint from the point that contacts the spade on the kill switch.

Last edited:

jmalluck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks ILENGINE.
I pulled the control plate off and attached 2 pictures to show the problem.

With Kill Switch installed outboard, no contact between tip and lever.
I'd have to bend it a lot and then it will contact lever long before stop position.

With Kill Switch installed inboard, the switch interferes with lever rotation.

View attachment Kill Switch pics2.pdf

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Your first picture show the kill switch installed correctly. It looks like the pivot isn't coming around far enough to make contact with the kill prong. the piece closest to the plate to the right of the kill prong should be what makes contact to kill the engine.

Seems like Briggs made some changes to the control plates on some engines with remote kill that don't work with the kill installed on the engine.

jmalluck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, that's my conclusion also.
Doesn't look like Brigg's intends for that type of Kill Switch installation.
Thanks Again,.

Your first picture show the kill switch installed correctly. It looks like the pivot isn't coming around far enough to make contact with the kill prong. the piece closest to the plate to the right of the kill prong should be what makes contact to kill the engine.

Seems like Briggs made some changes to the control plates on some engines with remote kill that don't work with the kill installed on the engine.