How do you deal with ice?

monica123

Threads
I am so worried my grandma is gonna fall I am usually seen out there breaking up the ice all the time, what ways do you use to control winter ice?

AndyMan

Threads
I use my digging iron to break up the ice (yeah, I know it's not doing my driveway any good), then shovel it away with my snow shovel. This works best on a good sunny day with the snow cleared off first.

Wayne195

Threads
I use my digging iron to break up the ice (yeah, I know it's not doing my driveway any good), then shovel it away with my snow shovel. This works best on a good sunny day with the snow cleared off first.
Same here, digging iron works great to break up large chunks of ice; just don't hit your toe's with it:thumbdown:

LandN

Threads
I am so worried my grandma is gonna fall I am usually seen out there breaking up the ice all the time, what ways do you use to control winter ice?

sand, ice scraper, salt(several different types), try some ice cleats on the shoes, maybe use a walker with non slip foots (or create some), maybe install a railing along the most walked area. what i do is shovel/snowblow ANY amounts of snow so that the sun can dry the pavement,if there is no sun then i'll salt/sand the pavement, on heavy amounts of ice i'll bust it up with ice scraper and then i'll think if i REALLY need to be out in the slippery conditions anyway, even to go to work. why chance it, if medicine etc. is needed see if there is a delivery service available....just a few ideas here :smile:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads

What is the surface you are dealing with ? Concrete, Blacktop, Gravel ????

On a hard surface sometimes putting down sand BEFORE it gets icy will let the ice come up easier. :thumbsup:

monica123

Threads
My front walk is concrete, as is most of my driveway, the back has a wooden deck. I was told to use non-clumping cat litter for traction, so I am now trying that.

Wayne195

Threads
My front walk is concrete, as is most of my driveway, the back has a wooden deck. I was told to use non-clumping cat litter for traction, so I am now trying that.
Maybe if you were to put down ice melter before it snows it would prevent any snow or ice biuldup:confused: Has anyone else tried this??

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
...what ways do you use to control winter ice?

Well monica...:smile:
after about a week of below freezing we are finally above & the sun is cooking off the ice and packed snow... Hope you are having some of the same to get rid of this frozen stuff.... :smile:KennyV

Hershey

Threads
I started another topic recently on salt spredders and that is what I would use. Like someone else said, there are various options for salt. It seems to work pretty well.

monica123

Threads
We just getting more and more snow covering the ice :( It is horrible to deal with. I keep at it constantly, hopefully I will fins something that works for me.