Export thread

How do you deal with ice?

M

monica123

I am so worried my grandma is gonna fall I am usually seen out there breaking up the ice all the time, what ways do you use to control winter ice?

A

AndyMan

I use my digging iron to break up the ice (yeah, I know it's not doing my driveway any good), then shovel it away with my snow shovel. This works best on a good sunny day with the snow cleared off first.

Wayne195

Wayne195

I use my digging iron to break up the ice (yeah, I know it's not doing my driveway any good), then shovel it away with my snow shovel. This works best on a good sunny day with the snow cleared off first.
Same here, digging iron works great to break up large chunks of ice; just don't hit your toe's with it:thumbdown:

L

LandN

I am so worried my grandma is gonna fall I am usually seen out there breaking up the ice all the time, what ways do you use to control winter ice?

sand, ice scraper, salt(several different types), try some ice cleats on the shoes, maybe use a walker with non slip foots (or create some), maybe install a railing along the most walked area. what i do is shovel/snowblow ANY amounts of snow so that the sun can dry the pavement,if there is no sun then i'll salt/sand the pavement, on heavy amounts of ice i'll bust it up with ice scraper and then i'll think if i REALLY need to be out in the slippery conditions anyway, even to go to work. why chance it, if medicine etc. is needed see if there is a delivery service available....just a few ideas here :smile:

BKBrown

BKBrown

What is the surface you are dealing with ? Concrete, Blacktop, Gravel ????

On a hard surface sometimes putting down sand BEFORE it gets icy will let the ice come up easier. :thumbsup:

M

monica123

My front walk is concrete, as is most of my driveway, the back has a wooden deck. I was told to use non-clumping cat litter for traction, so I am now trying that.

Wayne195

Wayne195

My front walk is concrete, as is most of my driveway, the back has a wooden deck. I was told to use non-clumping cat litter for traction, so I am now trying that.
Maybe if you were to put down ice melter before it snows it would prevent any snow or ice biuldup:confused: Has anyone else tried this??

K

KennyV

...what ways do you use to control winter ice?

Well monica...:smile:
after about a week of below freezing we are finally above & the sun is cooking off the ice and packed snow... Hope you are having some of the same to get rid of this frozen stuff.... :smile:KennyV

H

Hershey

I started another topic recently on salt spredders and that is what I would use. Like someone else said, there are various options for salt. It seems to work pretty well.

M

monica123

We just getting more and more snow covering the ice :( It is horrible to deal with. I keep at it constantly, hopefully I will fins something that works for me.

BKBrown

BKBrown

We just getting more and more snow covering the ice :( It is horrible to deal with. I keep at it constantly, hopefully I will fins something that works for me.

Do a search for "liquid ice melt" some can be applied with garden sprayer and are non-toxic & non-stain.

JDgreen

JDgreen

The clay based stuff called OIL-DRI sold for soaking up garage floor oil spills is the greatest thing for traction...harmless to concrete and plants, organic, cheap---salt is nothing but an expensive headache I never use it.

L

LandN

The clay based stuff called OIL-DRI sold for soaking up garage floor oil spills is the greatest thing for traction...harmless to concrete and plants, organic, cheap---salt is nothing but an expensive headache I never use it.

Hi jd, i agree oil-dry works well, but how is "salt nothing but an expensive headache" are you saying rock salt or all salts/ice melters(there are lots of flavors here) lol . The "headache" part is what stumped me here. :laughing: :thumbsup:

M

monica123

I found some absorb all at a mechanic shop, is to absorb spills and I have to say, so far, it works great for traction. WE are to be getting rain and cooler temps so that will be the big tester!

S

Smartaleck

Luckily the ice we get here is never too thick that it cannot be dealt with easily by spreading salt and/or grit. I keep a bag of salt by the door and regularly throw some on our steps to avoid accidents.

S

sallymander

RIM ice melter works for me. Doesn't kill vegetation like salt but doesn't work below 20ï°f

A

abeja_reina_1989

I always use salt and use anything I have to also move any snow and ice off the walkway when I can. It can be tough to get it all though, so I pretty much have to really on the salt.

M

monica123

I am pleased to announce that we had some warm temperatures and rain which leads to a whooping pile of ice and so far my new method is working out for me.

N

noma

Hi

What i use for ice melt is fertilizer that you use to put on the lawn with just nitrogen in it. It takes a little while but it releases it pretty good. I'm not sure what it does to the animals paws.And in the spring it helps your lawn and flower patches grow. And you can spread it with your fertilizer spreader that you use for you lawn.:laughing:

rekees

rekees

These work for me. Great for shoveling snow and walking dogs on icy roads. Excellent quality, highly recommended, easy to put on and take off.

Amazon.com: Kahtoola MICROspikes Pocket Traction System: Sports & Outdoors

M

monica123

These work for me. Great for shoveling snow and walking dogs on icy roads. Excellent quality, highly recommended, easy to put on and take off.

Amazon.com: Kahtoola MICROspikes Pocket Traction System: Sports & Outdoors

Thanks, perhaps I should look into getting hear a pair of those, or maybe I can train the dog to take her to and fro, lol.

K

Kryten

I have a similar pair of over shoe grips and they are amazing. The sidewalks are normally ok, because I clear the snow as soon as it is down and really only need to deal with it when it rains then freezes. Then I salt and grit, cross my fingers and see if it needs scraping.