Hey StarTech

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert I got a question you might be able to enlighten me on. How does negative interest rates works? Are they paying borrowers to borrow money?
Exactly as it sounds
I put 100 in the bank & at the end of the year it is worth $ 99
Same as stock write downs
With interbank loans, the reserve pays private banks to borrow money

There are 3 kinds of government debt
1) direct loans from brokers either in the country or externally
So washington basically writes a loan application to Chase Manhatten for $ XXX to be paid of over Y years at the rate $Z per month
2) Bonds or other papers like tax leans sold to private companies both within the USA & outside.
Things like trust funds are obliged to by these because they can not fail, in OZ all domestic banks must also hold a significant amount of customer deposits in government bonds these as you know are paid in full at some specific time in the future as purchase price + interest
3) money printing , same as above except the government issues the bonds but only the reserve bank buys them .
This debt is not real. it is a left pocket to right pocket deal in order to keep the books balanced and usually governments simply write it off over period of time .
It is a good debt to have politically because it can be used as an excuse to not do things like say widen Medicade or give tax cuts cause we owe this massive amount of money ( to ourselves )

Total US debt ≈ 34 trillion but of that only 10 trillion is real ( type 1& 2 ) above .
sill a lot of money
The big worry is State debts because collectivley that are several factors of magnitude bigger then federal debt and theirs is all type 1 & 2 as only the feds can invent money so it all has to be paid back from tax collected

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I was thinking in the terms of loans. Would negative interest rates means they pay you to borrow the money?

I something similar once after I brought and paid for my home. The sent out a letter saying they could lower my monthly mortgage payments. I knew they would not nut I pestered anyways. The loan officer was all excited to see me until we got to refinancing the loan then she they couldn't do it as I was looking for them to pay me to have the loan.