hearing protection

robert

Threads
As lawnboy states, tinitus comes on slowly and take it from me its is a major bummer (tnks Uncle Sam)-would you believe that driving with the window open is one of the best ways to give yourself hearing damage?

Please use plugs in when in any noisy environment, and for those who ride especially EVEN (especially) with helmets on. The trick for the foamy plugs is to pull back on your ear while inserting the to keep pressure on the plug for 5 seconds or so. With a properly inserted foam plug you should hear very very little-just the noises in your head....:frown:

Now, would you believe that in some States its illegal to put in ear plugs :confused2:

eman3rod

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm with you on that. I've tried mowing with Etymotic canal phones and an iPod, but I felt too distracted and that I wasn't hearing my engine and spindles as well as I should. That said, I'm sure some people are better multi-taskers than me, but I still wonder if I'm seeing a future Darwin Award winner when I spot a runner or bicyclist on the road wearing headphones.

I've always thought that using the music headphones is more damaging to your hearing than not wearing any protection.

neetan

Threads
Just go to the local Gun Store and buy something that will Protect your hearing. I know what I bought were awsome!:thumbsup:

primerbulb120

Threads
I use this: amazon.com/Allen-Company-Profile-Protection-2320/dp/B001F0M2U0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462918611&sr=8-1&keywords=allen+sound+sensor

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

SAY WHAT ???

Sorry ......... I just couldnt resist !! Boobala ...:wink:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As lawnboy states, tinitus comes on slowly and take it from me its is a major bummer (tnks Uncle Sam)-would you believe that driving with the window open is one of the best ways to give yourself hearing damage?

Please use plugs in when in any noisy environment, and for those who ride especially EVEN (especially) with helmets on. The trick for the foamy plugs is to pull back on your ear while inserting the to keep pressure on the plug for 5 seconds or so. With a properly inserted foam plug you should hear very very little-just the noises in your head....:frown:

Now, would you believe that in some States its illegal to put in ear plugs :confused2:

When we changed the workes compensation laws down here the current employer was considered liable for any hearing loss above the age related avarage.
Thus we had to do hearing tests on every new employee.
In 2 months we had run out of truck drivers and were using subbies.
On average 75% loss of hearing in the right ear which is the window side down here.
The company then went to fully airconditioned trucks so the drivers had no reason to open the window and any hearing loss was due to their own neglegance.
Funny world
I had tinitus then from motorcycling but still better than perfect hearing.

turbofiat124

Threads
I recently bought a Ferris IS1500Z with a Kawasaki engine. It is much louder than the Cub Cadet 2518 I previously used. I'm looking to buy hearing protection.

I use Classic earplugs for chainsawing but would like to look into other options.

Any opinions or advice on what to buy?

I prefer to use my WorkTunes headphones which doubles as hearing protection and a radio at the same time! Great if you like listening to music while you work.

1746366_700x700.jpg

FMBill

Forum Newbie
Threads
The music ear protection are fine for the home-owners. I don't like my guys wearing them because it's a destraction for one. They also can't hear the mowers when something is about to go out, bearings and such. I'm sur some professional disagree, that's just my opinion.:thumbsup:

I have to disagree with your thought on not hearing mechanical sounds. I use headset with radio and play it pretty loud. I even hear when the blade speed decreases. Those mechanical sounds are really low frequency and it seems almost enhanced. Maybe it's because you're hearing through your body and not the air, I don't know. Check it out.

tgriscom

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have to disagree with your thought on not hearing mechanical sounds. I use headset with radio and play it pretty loud. I even hear when the blade speed decreases. Those mechanical sounds are really low frequency and it seems almost enhanced. Maybe it's because you're hearing through your body and not the air, I don't know. Check it out.

The only thing I cannot hear with the radio on is that the trimmer line needs to be bumped. I hear everything else.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I get custom made hearing protection. Works the best. The second best is the ear muffs. All tho, you cannot put any hat with those.