Export thread

hearing protection

A

AndySKane

I recently bought a Ferris IS1500Z with a Kawasaki engine. It is much louder than the Cub Cadet 2518 I previously used. I'm looking to buy hearing protection.

I use Classic earplugs for chainsawing but would like to look into other options.

Any opinions or advice on what to buy?

Jetblast

Jetblast

I buy these by the box: Amazon.com: Howard Leight LPF-1 Max Lite Uncorded Foam Earplugs Box, 200 Pair: Home Improvement I think I've tried every earplug know to man and these are my all-time favorites. They're comfortable enough to sleep with, which I often do.

I used EAR Classics for a long time but they weren't as comfortable and because they're so short, occasionally I'd insert them too far and have trouble getting them out.

Muffs are too hot and sweaty for me, or maybe I'm too hot and sweaty for them.

BKBrown

BKBrown

There are other options out there - there are headphones with radio, auto noise cancelling headphones, many types of ear plugs.
I have found that (for me) the headphones eventually make the area around my ears sweat.
I generally use the in the ear plugs - some are more comfortable than others and I believe that is individual taste. When you find some you like, they are much less expensive if you get a box of 200 or more form someplace like Gemplers.

I nearly always use some ear protection running any machine - My Better Half is deaf in one ear and nearly so in the other (hereditary), but at least one of us should be able to hear something. :biggrin:

Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy

I use a similar product as jetblast, they are called "EAR Express", Pod Plugs by Aearo Company. These have a firm end on them to easily put in and out of ear. I used the muffins for years before this, always gave me a head ache after awhile because they didn't fit well with glasses on. They would also get ripped off my head from low hanging tree limbs occasionaly. :laughing:

F

fastback

I use the ear phone with music. I think they are called work tunes. Yes they can get a bit warm, but most of us need to protect ourselfs from the UV rays so I tough it out. On the positive note I get to listen to the local sports radio station. Anyway, I'm already deaf in one ear soo...

Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy

The music ear protection are fine for the home-owners. I don't like my guys wearing them because it's a destraction for one. They also can't hear the mowers when something is about to go out, bearings and such. I'm sur some professional disagree, that's just my opinion.:thumbsup:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

A few things to keep in mind about hearing damage:

When it happens it is subtle -- just a little bit at a time so you don't necessarily notice it.

It's generally irreversible and progressive -- so once you have a partial loss that's your new base -- you go down from there. Hearing damage is generally nerve damage and nerves usually don't regenerate.

If noise seems uncomfortable, it's probably risky for your hearing. It's better to be safe now than sorry in the years to come.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use ear plugs (usually the regular disposable ones) with any loud machinery. I even use them when I'm in my house while someone is using a leaf blower (a particularly bad machine for the hearing, IMO) in a neighbor's yard.

L

LandN

classic yellow spongies:thumbdown:.... smoothies:thumbsup:.....ear muffs(with glasses):thumbdown:my frames would break the cushion seal....ear muffs (wo/glasses)maybe if you can stand the sweat....... bottom line is use something. anything is better than going without protection. I have bad tinnitus in both ears from going without for to many of my younger years ringggggggggggggggggg:mad: wear what feels good .

Jetblast

Jetblast

The music ear protection are fine for the home-owners. I don't like my guys wearing them because it's a destraction for one. They also can't hear the mowers when something is about to go out, bearings and such. I'm sur some professional disagree, that's just my opinion.:thumbsup:

I'm with you on that. I've tried mowing with Etymotic canal phones and an iPod, but I felt too distracted and that I wasn't hearing my engine and spindles as well as I should. That said, I'm sure some people are better multi-taskers than me, but I still wonder if I'm seeing a future Darwin Award winner when I spot a runner or bicyclist on the road wearing headphones.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I'm with you on that. I've tried mowing with Etymotic canal phones and an iPod, but I felt too distracted and that I wasn't hearing my engine and spindles as well as I should. That said, I'm sure some people are better multi-taskers than me, but I still wonder if I'm seeing a future Darwin Award winner when I spot a runner or bicyclist on the road wearing headphones.

I think the same thing when I see a fellow cyclist (I ride a lot) with headphones -- he/she is on track for a Darwin award. But that's different from using noisy equipment with earplugs. The bicycle makes virtually no noise -- keeping your ears clear gives you early warning when something is approaching from behind. On the other hand, my chainsaw is very loud. I wouldn't think of using it without hearing protection.

Not all gas-powered machines are loud enough to require earplugs. My Lawn-Boy mowers have large and effective mufflers, so I don't think any protection is needed. Some leaf blowers are so loud and high-pitched (high notes are more damaging) that I question whether most earplugs provide enough protection.

A

AndySKane

Stopped in at my local Tractor Supply to buy earplugs/muffs but the pegboard was bare and all they had were Sperian RWS-53001 Preshaped Foam Earplug in bright orange. I bought a five pack. After many attempts I finally figured out how to insert them and got them to stay in my ear.

Directions for the Sperian RWS-53011

1. With clean hands roll earplug into a narrow crease free cylinder.
2. Reach hand over head with free hand, pull ear up and back then insert earplug well inside ear canal.
3. Hold for 40 seconds until earplug expands.

Once I got them in they certainly made everything quiet, perhaps too quiet. I'll see how they are when mowing today. I'll reserve judgement but I really didn't want to fiddle with earplugs that much and probably will go back to Ear Classic earplugs which I find easy to put in.

Here's a picture of the Sperians.

Attachments

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

Stopped in at my local Tractor Supply to buy earplugs/muffs but the pegboard was bare and all they had were Sperian RWS-53001 Preshaped Foam Earplug in bright orange. I bought a five pack. After many attempts I finally figured out how to insert them and got them to stay in my ear.

Directions for the Sperian RWS-53011

1. With clean hands roll earplug into a narrow crease free cylinder.
2. Reach hand over head with free hand, pull ear up and back then insert earplug well inside ear canal.
3. Hold for 40 seconds until earplug expands.

Once I got them in they certainly made everything quiet, perhaps too quiet. I'll see how they are when mowing today. I'll reserve judgement but I really didn't want to fiddle with earplugs that much and probably will go back to Ear Classic earplugs which I find easy to put in.

Here's a picture of the Sperians.
Huh!
No wonder I can't hear anything, I was putting them......somewhere else.
Thanks for the heads up ANDY!

A

AndySKane

Sperian RWS-53011

To hard to use. I won't buy anymore. I went out to mower shed and spent several minutes trying to put them in. They kept popping out. Went back to my old Ear Classic ear plugs.

Maybe the Sperians are good for the average person but then I might be below average or my ear canals are odd.

Jetblast

Jetblast

Those are almost exactly like the Howard Leight plugs I use. They take some getting used to, but once you do most of the guys I've worked with find them better than EAR Classics in terms of comfort and ease of use.

If they're popping out they're not getting rolled tightly enough or you're not putting them in at the correct angle, so they're not going in nearly far enough. I can roll one in each hand and put them in both ears simultaneously, but that took a long time to master. That said, I still can't juggle or ride a unicycle so it doesn't take any extraordinary skill, just practice.

Edit: I found a video on how to insert them. Not only is it informative, it's moderately bizarre!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nGO0qNTCd8

You won't have to reach over your head like he does and grab your ear once you get the hang of it.

BKBrown

BKBrown

If you have trouble inserting them - the Howard Leight "Matrix" plugs don't require rolling. They have a core that is slightly stiffer than the foam in the plug so they push in easier. :thumbsup: These Matrix plugs also let voice frequencies in slightly better than the loud noises that will harm your hearing. I use both these and the roll and push type (not at the same time :biggrin:) .

Jetblast

Jetblast

It also helps to roll them quickly and get them right in. The cooler they are in temp, the longer they maintain their rolled shape giving you more time to get them in. If you roll them too long they come to body temp and rebound to original size too quickly.

Should you keep them in the fridge? I don't know. I'm not that hard core, but I know I wouldn't keep them in a hot shed until you get good at putting them in.

bones66

bones66

I have done it both ways. I don't know how much the low volume music or talk radio I listen to takes away the ability to hear a malfunction over just the ear protection device itself. I'm sure it does somewhat. However the radio is not blaring either. I could see some operators with sound protection protecting them from the mower but deafening themselves from the inside with the music blaring! :laughing:

Mark Widmer

Mark Widmer

I really prefer headphone-style ear protection (without music) over the foam inserts. It's a lot less hassle, and I don't have to worry about cleanliness.

Here is what I have:

supersonic-industrial-earmuffs-HB55.jpg

I got them here:
SuperSonic Industrial Earmuffs (NRR 29) - GEMPLER'S

Directions for use:
1. Put them on.

Papa Tango

Papa Tango

By all means use some form of hearing protection. I am hearing impaired and use hearing aids except when working in the yard or servicing a piece of equipment. My audiologist said to use hearing protection to help save what hearing I have left. I prefer muffs but will also use whatever is handy including the foam plugs. The muffs are hotter but seem easier for me to use and are hassle free.

G

grass cutter

I always use these yellow ear muffs when ever I mow. My glasses break the seal, but there is still a reasonable amount of protection with glasses

KerryAll

KerryAll

I find the "band style" a good compromise between the muffs and the foam plugs. The bands basically hold the foam plugs in place. You don't get the sweaty feeling from the muffs, and you don't have to squeeze the foam plugs with dirty fingers to stick them back in your ear after you take them out.
The foam on the ends of the bands are replaceable. Check them out on Home Depot (sorry, it's the Canadian site):

WORKHORSE | Band Sytle Hearing Protection | Home Depot Canada

J

Jinzo Ningen

I work in the auto manufacturing industry involving plastic extrusion. We have huge blow molders (as well as machining & assembly equipment) that use ultra-high air pressure. Various types of hearing protection are offered free for our operators but many people (especially young people) choose not to use it. My father always used ear muffs when he worked around race cars in his younger days so as a kid I just got in the habit. I have ALWAYS used plugs in our factory. They offer the yellow EAR brand cylinder style and the contoured Howard Lieght plugs, (as well as muffs for those who work in the compressor rooms, the only place where hearing protection is required.). I just got in the habit of using the contoured, spongy plugs and now it's second nature to roll 'em up and pop them into my ears before ANY job with high noise levels. I often sleep with them in, that's how comfortable they are. I push them in until they almost touch my ear drums, wait for them to expand and then tug them out slightly and angle them down until the noise level is as quiet as the plugs can make them. It might sound weird but it works really well; it just takes some practice.

When mowing I have an MP3 player with in-the-ear type buds that I use in conjunction with Bilsom "Thunder" muffs (31db blocking) and they work very well. When using my chainsaw or blower, because of the higher level, I use both the contoured plugs AND my earmuffs. Yeah, it's slightly uncomfortable in really hot weather, but it sure beats being deaf. When I take my gear off right after running equipment I can hear my girlfriend whisper to me. That tells me that not only is the ear protection working, but that it is absolutely worth it. And for those who would use muffs with their glasses but are concerned that they don't work as well because the muff-to-head seal is slightly broken by their glasses... just remember, even SOME protection is better than NONE!!!!!:thumbsup:

Jetblast

Jetblast

Various types of hearing protection are offered free for our operators but many people (especially young people) choose not to use it.

That's interesting because where I worked it was the opposite. All of the younger guys wore earplugs but few of the older ones did. Consequentially, most of the older guys had significant hearing losses which made them harder to communicate with.

I got in the habit of sleeping with my earplugs in too because of noisy hotels, and I still do it. My dogs know how to wake me up if there's anything going on I need to know about.

M

Mad Mackie

I use a combination of plugs and muffs. I have mowed with high end riders for years and added a Scag Tiger Cub to the group in 2008. The Scag is much louder than my riders so I had to upgrade my hearing protection. I wear glasses with goggles and a two strap dust mask with the exhaust valve on the front so muffs don't do the job. I did find and bought the highest DB rated muffs and they work fairly well. All of my machines have collection systems on them but my Scag is by far the loudest. :biggrin:

B

bigblock

I have a pair of the Worktunes headphones that I wear mowing. I have hearing damage from the service back in the 60's and need to preserve what little hearing that I have left. They also keep those stupid gnats from crawling in my ears. I probably look stupid singing along with those old country songs but, heck, there ain't nobody out here to see me anyway.

O

originalswampfox

What did you say!!!!!!!!

B

benski

Absolutely, I use hearing protection. I use a set of ear muffs from Home Depot (31db) and a pair of safety glasses as well. The most obnoxious piece of equipment I run is a 14 hp chipper/shredder. THAT one gets earplugs AND earmuff treatment.:wink::biggrin:

J

jakesmurray

Peltor headphones work great. They're all I've ever used.

B

benski

Peltor headphones work great. They're all I've ever used.

HD carries the Peltors, that's what I've got. Once your hearing is gone, it's gone. Better to protect what you have instead of miss it when it's gone.:biggrin:

tankdriver

tankdriver

I use a Apple IPod Touch and noise canceling earplug type headphones. I have tried several different Bluetooth ones where I would not have to put up with a cord, but I have not found one yet that fits tight enough to block out the mower.

earplugs.jpg

R

robert

As lawnboy states, tinitus comes on slowly and take it from me its is a major bummer (tnks Uncle Sam)-would you believe that driving with the window open is one of the best ways to give yourself hearing damage?

Please use plugs in when in any noisy environment, and for those who ride especially EVEN (especially) with helmets on. The trick for the foamy plugs is to pull back on your ear while inserting the to keep pressure on the plug for 5 seconds or so. With a properly inserted foam plug you should hear very very little-just the noises in your head....:frown:

Now, would you believe that in some States its illegal to put in ear plugs :confused2:

E

eman3rod

I've always thought that using the music headphones is more damaging to your hearing than not wearing any protection.

N

neetan

Just go to the local Gun Store and buy something that will Protect your hearing. I know what I bought were awsome!:thumbsup:

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

I use this: amazon.com/Allen-Company-Profile-Protection-2320/dp/B001F0M2U0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462918611&sr=8-1&keywords=allen+sound+sensor

Boobala

Boobala

SAY WHAT ???

Sorry ......... I just couldnt resist !! Boobala ...:wink:

B

bertsmobile1

As lawnboy states, tinitus comes on slowly and take it from me its is a major bummer (tnks Uncle Sam)-would you believe that driving with the window open is one of the best ways to give yourself hearing damage?

Please use plugs in when in any noisy environment, and for those who ride especially EVEN (especially) with helmets on. The trick for the foamy plugs is to pull back on your ear while inserting the to keep pressure on the plug for 5 seconds or so. With a properly inserted foam plug you should hear very very little-just the noises in your head....:frown:

Now, would you believe that in some States its illegal to put in ear plugs :confused2:

When we changed the workes compensation laws down here the current employer was considered liable for any hearing loss above the age related avarage.
Thus we had to do hearing tests on every new employee.
In 2 months we had run out of truck drivers and were using subbies.
On average 75% loss of hearing in the right ear which is the window side down here.
The company then went to fully airconditioned trucks so the drivers had no reason to open the window and any hearing loss was due to their own neglegance.
Funny world
I had tinitus then from motorcycling but still better than perfect hearing.

turbofiat124

turbofiat124

I recently bought a Ferris IS1500Z with a Kawasaki engine. It is much louder than the Cub Cadet 2518 I previously used. I'm looking to buy hearing protection.

I use Classic earplugs for chainsawing but would like to look into other options.

Any opinions or advice on what to buy?

I prefer to use my WorkTunes headphones which doubles as hearing protection and a radio at the same time! Great if you like listening to music while you work.

1746366_700x700.jpg

F

FMBill

I have to disagree with your thought on not hearing mechanical sounds. I use headset with radio and play it pretty loud. I even hear when the blade speed decreases. Those mechanical sounds are really low frequency and it seems almost enhanced. Maybe it's because you're hearing through your body and not the air, I don't know. Check it out.

tgriscom

tgriscom

I have to disagree with your thought on not hearing mechanical sounds. I use headset with radio and play it pretty loud. I even hear when the blade speed decreases. Those mechanical sounds are really low frequency and it seems almost enhanced. Maybe it's because you're hearing through your body and not the air, I don't know. Check it out.

The only thing I cannot hear with the radio on is that the trimmer line needs to be bumped. I hear everything else.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I get custom made hearing protection. Works the best. The second best is the ear muffs. All tho, you cannot put any hat with those.

Agabus

Agabus

Hi all....I work at mowing on a Golf Course.....what I need to do is find something that will allow me to wear a hat w/wide brim for those hot! summer days. The mower is quite LOUD. I have an ear wax problem, and the ear doc said that for ppl with this problem it is not good to insert those ear protectors into ear canal. So, I have been thinking about ear buds under Muffs. Don't know yet which will be best. here's a pic of mower.....IMG_20170420_113525624.jpg Any suggestions?.....thanks for the help...:D I have been thinking about behind head muffs...

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

Hi all....I work at mowing on a Golf Course.....what I need to do is find something that will allow me to wear a hat w/wide brim for those hot! summer days. The mower is quite LOUD. I have an ear wax problem, and the ear doc said that for ppl with this problem it is not good to insert those ear protectors into ear canal. So, I have been thinking about ear buds under Muffs. Don't know yet which will be best. here's a pic of mower.....View attachment 31934 Any suggestions?.....thanks for the help...:D I have been thinking about behind head muffs...

Agabus, welcome to the forum. First off, there are plenty of hats available with adjustable draw cords and you should be able to find one that can accommodate your head and earmuffs assuming you don't actually want the earmuffs, themselves, to fit under the hat. Alternatively, there's something called a Tammin hat if you like the look. Also consider buying a cheap hat and slitting the sides.

BlazNT

BlazNT

They have behind the head ear protection. Go to a place that sales guns and find a good pair.

Boobala

Boobala

They have behind the head ear protection. Go to a place that sales guns and find a good pair.

As Blaz stated , Gun Shops have many types & styles of hearing protectors ..I found a pair of these "neck-huggers"
at my local shop .... just wear around my neck , I wear the band on the back of my neck as I wear glasses or you can have it under chin ... your choice ... girls can use as hair-band also...ear tips are replaceable ...

...Capture.JPG

R

RoofTopPigeon

I Tend to Love these
Peltor / 3M FM
Radio Headphones.
I prefer the Digital Tuner Ones
with the LCD Tuner; Because it is harder
to Bump them out of tune when working in tight spaces.
and I Typically use the Energizer Ultimate Lithium E2 Square Batteries in them. They last MUCH Longer and
are WELL WORTH the Higher Price for the 4-pack of AA's I buy
A LOT LESS batteries for them since switching to those batteries

radio2.jpg

radio.jpg

If Podcast are More your thing;
They also have A Bluetooth Model
That can be connected to your Cell Phone;
if your Cell Phone is Bluetooth Capable!

Here is the bluetooth one:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-MT...rd_wg=ZteZu&psc=1&refRID=ZK2FHGFJEGQV7ZV18DDE

BlazNT

BlazNT

$275.00 is way out of my league. $25.00 Hearing protection, $25.00 Bluetooth earbuds, and my phone does me just fine.

M

motoman

I use a lowlyHF ear muff style unit . The steel strap adjusts. With it I can jam on a big straw hat or a backwards pointing baseball hat when wearing a plastic visor if using the 2 stroke weedwhacker.

Q

qrtrhrs

Exactly, the tinitus is worse than the hearing loss. In my case it was an M110. Anyway, lots of good leads posted here on "muffs". Mine are due for replacement.

Due to having trees around my horse pastures, I usually run 20-25 gallons of gas through my BR600 blower to move the leafs off so they do not mold. That is in a short time frame so there are long days with the blower. I always use both foam plugs and headphones trying to preserve what I have left.

Someone mentioned that some of these protective devices are pricey. Try pricing a decent pair of high tech hearing aids which insurance generally does not cover. I finally got into the VA for service related else I could not afford them.

turbofiat124

turbofiat124

You mean illegal when driving a car? Or just in general?

I have lost 40% of my hearing loss in my left hear but my right ear is fine. And I have ringing in that ear. But it varies from day to day. My father was on an aircraft carrier back in the 1960s and his tinnitus is constant. It never changes where I can have so much ringing it drown's out anything. Other times its minimal and I can barely detect any ringing. Seems like everybody I know who has been in the military or likes to shoot guns has hearing loss.

A few years ago I was "supposedly" diagnosed with Meniere's disease. It's got something to do with fluid buildup in the ear drum. The disease usually just happens all of a sudden and usually in one ear. It's not a progressive disease. It just happens one day. Doctors have no clue as to what causes it, much less how to treat it. The doctor did tell me to avoid anything with salt in it, caffeine and smoking. You know all the stuff doctors tell you to avoid anyway. Mine seems to be triggered by stress and lack of sleep more than anything. I can go to bed with my left ear rigging but if I get a good night sleep, it's not ringing in the morning.

My wife insisted I get a hearing aid. The lady who did the test said she had Meniere's disease but she said hearing loss is not related to the disease. Instead she said is was probably from driving with the window down.

I have had two full blown Meniere's attacks since I was diagnosed with it. This is where the room starts spinning, you can't balance and you throw up. The last attack was about three years ago. My main problem is the tinnitus in my left ear.

The other downside is I've lost most of my low frequency hearing loss, so any high pitch noises like my parent's Schnauzer barking or a baby screeching magnifies the noise. You might as well poke my temple with an ice pitch. Also my hearing loss falls in the frequency range of a telephone. So I have to hold the receiver up to my right ear.

I've also worked in a chemical plant for 25 years. This one machine we have to operate 2 hours per day runs at 85 decibels. They said at this volume, ear plugs were not enough. The company's answer was wear ear plugs and ear muffs. Even though I have always worn hearing protection even when I am at my house, I'm not sure if my job has caused my hearing loss. But I have not suffered any in my right hear.

BTW, my wife asked me the other day why lawnmower engines were so loud. The only thing I can think of is the engine blocks are so thin, that's were allot of the noise comes from. And the mufflers they install don't do that much anyway.