Have you ever been "shot" by your lawnmower?

BlueGrass

Threads
I hate when I mow over a rock or twig and it hits me in the leg. Man it hurts like heck so I can see how someone can get seriously hurt by their mowers.

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
I remember when my Grandmother had horses and a John Deere 110 with a 38 inch mower deck. The dogs used to use the horse hoof trimmings from the farrier's visits as chew toys in the yard. The mower launched one of those trimmings into the side of the house and it ricocheted back and cut me across the chin! :mad:

RockHound

Threads
I've been hit by gravel several times. It's not fun and it stings a LOT. The bruise left is also something to behold. The thing I worry about the most though, is if the blade fractures while you are mowing with a walker are you going to lose a foot?:thumbdown:

Usedtorent

Threads
Ouch! I've had some small stones come up and hit me before. I always wear jeans and socks when I mow. I have not ever had a problem when I was on a rider only when I was pushing before.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I remember when my Grandmother had horses and a John Deere 110 with a 38 inch mower deck. The dogs used to use the horse hoof trimmings from the farrier's visits as chew toys in the yard. The mower launched one of those trimmings into the side of the house and it ricocheted back and cut me across the chin! :mad:

Those horse hoofs will get you ... on or off the horse:wink:. KennyV

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
In my experience, one of the most dangerous things is when something ricochets off of a building or tree while you're mowing. I've definitely been hit a time or two by a little pebble or piece of debris that hit the house while I was mowing close. I started wearing eye protection while mowing for that reason. Oh and it looks cool too. :cool:

lizard

Threads
The safest mower is a Reel mower as the clippings and debri are trown into the catcher, Rotary mowers are seriously dangerous as they can go anywhere anytime in a 360 Degree rotation.:eek:

lizard

Threads
Besides mowers being dangerous........we have these 3 wheel 'edgers' with a 4 horse power honda....which drives a 12 inch blade .
These do have a cover or shroud over the blade.......but they have caused serious injuries to people.
Brush cutters or whipper snippers are nearly as bad or worse.......can do serious injuries as well.
The whole of Lawn mowing can be dangerous if you are unlucky.:eek:

Twinkle

Threads
I think I will be buying some goggles after reading these stories. (One freak, non mower, accident which scratched my eyeball was bad enough.) My kids earn pocket money checking our lawn for debris before we go near it with a mower.:biggrin:

mois25

Threads
Numerous accidents and injuries associated with the lawn mowers. There is no way I am getting my kid near a lawn mower..the risk of injury is pretty high.

Amazing facts especially in comparison to a bullet.