Export thread

Have you ever been "shot" by your lawnmower?

G

Greenblades

I was looking up mower mods and came across this article:
http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/19980508173109data_trunc_sys.shtml

It describes how mowers can propel an item as fast as a gun can. It also gives a case study of a four year old shot by a mower with a piece of chain link. This is one of the reasons I would be nervous about letting my nine year old mow. At least not without a bullet proof vest. :wink:

essasmallengines

essasmallengines

When I was a kid (sometime in the 60's) My grandfather was mowing the lawn and he hit a dog bone with the mower, well it flew out and hit me on the ankle, and cut me in two places on the ankle:eek:

N

noma

Hi

I think that's why, when you are mowing you don't want any one around to get hurt for the safety of every one around.The person on the mower should be ok if they are operation in a safely mater.I think it's how big of a hurry a person get to get the mowing job done need safety first

M

mamaA

We had someone locally (about 15 years ago) who was killed by his neighbor's lawn mower. I remember hearing about the story when it happened. Crazy stuff and crazy to think it really does happen.

G

gator6x4

A high velocity .22 caliber bullet travels at 1215 FPS. A modern day lawn mower usually has a blade tip speed of 19,000 - 20,000FPM. I personally do not want to be in front of the discharge of a lawn mower when it is running. A lawn mower can hurl small rocks and sticks at a velocity greater than or equal to that of a .22 caliber rifle. This is what bring the thought of "What Is He/She Thinking" when I see someone mowing with a small child in the yard.

For information on the velocity of a .22 caliber bullet visit this Web site.

http://http://www.chuckhawks.com/history_rimfire_ammo.htm

K

KennyV

A high velocity .22 caliber bullet travels at 1215 FPS. A modern day lawn mower usually has a blade tip speed of 19,000-20,000FPM. A lawn mower can hurl small rocks and sticks at a velocity greater than or equal to that of a .22 caliber rifle. [/URL]

Oops... Not nearly the same velocity. Not even close... feet per Min vs. feet per Sec. have a difference factor of 60.
The blade tip speed is normally below 18000 fpM. ... BUT even at 20,000 fpM that is only 333 fpS. (Much slower than most BB guns.) Tho it is still unpleasant to get pecked by a BB gun.

I only bring this up because shooting guns is much too maligned as it is... I have spent a lot of years working with exterior ballistics.

Another thing to consider is the reason bullets are made of lead, it is harder to get a dense heavy object moving fast... BUT it will not shed the velocity as quickly as a lighter projectile ( like for instance a rock, wire or twig)... Stay safe, use common (or not so common ) sense... keep your kids, pets and fine crystal at a reasonable distance when mowing, all should be fine. KennyV

R

Rip

I've been hit so hard by stuff that a mower slung and I was scared to look where it hit.:eek:

rip

K

KennyV

I was scared to look where it hit.:eek:

rip

Ha ha... Me too :biggrin: KennyV

Attachments

G

Greenblades

That just put an image in my head that made me actually cover my eyes. I can only imagine the stories that some people have to tell!!

B

bret

When I have ever mowed I walked away from it because I always found if I hit something it was flying back to hit me, like others have said, it hurts when you get hit by something.

B

BlueGrass

I hate when I mow over a rock or twig and it hits me in the leg. Man it hurts like heck so I can see how someone can get seriously hurt by their mowers.

Grass ala Mowed

Grass ala Mowed

I remember when my Grandmother had horses and a John Deere 110 with a 38 inch mower deck. The dogs used to use the horse hoof trimmings from the farrier's visits as chew toys in the yard. The mower launched one of those trimmings into the side of the house and it ricocheted back and cut me across the chin! :mad:

RockHound

RockHound

I've been hit by gravel several times. It's not fun and it stings a LOT. The bruise left is also something to behold. The thing I worry about the most though, is if the blade fractures while you are mowing with a walker are you going to lose a foot?:thumbdown:

U

Usedtorent

Ouch! I've had some small stones come up and hit me before. I always wear jeans and socks when I mow. I have not ever had a problem when I was on a rider only when I was pushing before.

K

KennyV

I remember when my Grandmother had horses and a John Deere 110 with a 38 inch mower deck. The dogs used to use the horse hoof trimmings from the farrier's visits as chew toys in the yard. The mower launched one of those trimmings into the side of the house and it ricocheted back and cut me across the chin! :mad:

Those horse hoofs will get you ... on or off the horse:wink:. KennyV

M

Muhammad

In my experience, one of the most dangerous things is when something ricochets off of a building or tree while you're mowing. I've definitely been hit a time or two by a little pebble or piece of debris that hit the house while I was mowing close. I started wearing eye protection while mowing for that reason. Oh and it looks cool too. :cool:

lizard

lizard

The safest mower is a Reel mower as the clippings and debri are trown into the catcher, Rotary mowers are seriously dangerous as they can go anywhere anytime in a 360 Degree rotation.:eek:

lizard

lizard

Besides mowers being dangerous........we have these 3 wheel 'edgers' with a 4 horse power honda....which drives a 12 inch blade .
These do have a cover or shroud over the blade.......but they have caused serious injuries to people.
Brush cutters or whipper snippers are nearly as bad or worse.......can do serious injuries as well.
The whole of Lawn mowing can be dangerous if you are unlucky.:eek:

T

Twinkle

I think I will be buying some goggles after reading these stories. (One freak, non mower, accident which scratched my eyeball was bad enough.) My kids earn pocket money checking our lawn for debris before we go near it with a mower.:biggrin:

M

mois25

Numerous accidents and injuries associated with the lawn mowers. There is no way I am getting my kid near a lawn mower..the risk of injury is pretty high.

Amazing facts especially in comparison to a bullet.

K

KennyV

Numerous accidents and injuries associated with the lawn mowers. There is no way I am getting my kid near a lawn mower..the risk of injury is pretty high.

Amazing facts especially in comparison to a bullet.

mois25... I certainly hope you let your kid near a mower... It will teach some real life things and is all around good for anyone...
There are millions of hours racked up every year mowing... the incidents that do occur are mainly from carelessness & inexperience... I should hope you give the opportunity to gain some supervised experience before the need to do this with no background...

The comparison to a bullet is a mistake in math... It is nowhere in the same neighborhood, NOT even to a child's BB gun... Please do not picture mowing as high risk... It is not... :smile:KennyV

T

touree

Another interesting way to look at it Kenny; the analogy made mowing look like such a dangerous activity Kenny. I remember a movie I saw(cannot recall the name)and here was someone mowing a lawn then suddenly a stone flies and lodges itself into the eye of a bystander.

That was scary!

K

KennyV

I remember a movie I saw(cannot recall the name)and here was someone mowing a lawn then suddenly a stone flies and lodges itself into the eye of a bystander.

That was scary!

Something similar happened to me... I was mowing along happily and this incredibly attractive gal came wondering by... her beauty struck me squarely in BOTH eyes and lodged deep in my brain... Took a long time to get over that:wink:... NOW that was scary!!:biggrin: :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

If you mow with a 'Reel' mower as opposed to a 'Rotary' type then there are no accidents as the clippings or foreign object will be lobbed into the catcher.:smile:

K

KennyV

I have used a my reel set but ... there are a lot of grasses that it will not be suited for... some of the grass needs to be cut over 3 inches... 76mm and more...
I can set my Toro gang set that high but it is not as good a cut as half that height ... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

I have used a my reel set but ... there are a lot of grasses that it will not be suited for... some of the grass needs to be cut over 3 inches... 76mm and more...
I can set my Toro gang set that high but it is not as good a cut as half that height ... :smile:KennyV

Why do you need the grass to be over 3 inches high ........just cut it low or is that detrimental to the grasses?
As a Combine Harvester can cut at any height.......maybe a good thing to buy for your grass cutting?:eek:

K

KennyV

Some of the Fescue grasses should be 3 to 3 1/2 inch tall... if you cut shorter it will start thinning out and below 2 inch it will dry up quickly an not look healthy...
Fescue is a very popular grass.... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

Rotary mowers are a dangerous machine if you do not maintain them.........there has been lots of accidents and a few deaths in Australia.:eek:

adan

adan

I haven't heard of anyone being "shot" by a lawnmower. There are several company-owned lawnmowers here that maintain the grasses in the two football fields, two baseball diamonds and lots of grass remaining in between. These are all right across two primary schools and one high school campuses.

When I was a kid I remember following the ride-on mower and watching the grass "fly" from the bottom of the mower to the side. At least based on my experience, mowers are not as fatally dangerous as we may think.

Perhaps the case is different with mowers that run at 15mph. Lizard would know that more than I do.

K

KennyV

..., mowers are not as fatally dangerous as we may think.

That would be correct.... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

The term 'Shot'........is incorrect.........the mower is not a gun, maybe some careless person left something in your grass........and yes if you do know other peoples lawns......this could happen!:mad:
As i Said before Rotaries are more dangerous than a Reel mower..........so play it safe and buy a Reel mower!:cool::confused2:

K

KennyV

The term 'Shot'........is incorrect......... play it safe and buy a Reel mower!:cool::confused2:

If I have 2 to 3 acres or so of grass that I can not mow that short..
what will it cost to switch to your type grass?
Also what special conditions will it require... it it drought resistant, how about over winter? What nutrients and what Ph soil is best suited???

I like the looks of your short lawns... how practical is it to grow over here? :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

If I have 2 to 3 acres or so of grass that I can not mow that short..
what will it cost to switch to your type grass?
Also what special conditions will it require... it it drought resistant, how about over winter? What nutrients and what Ph soil is best suited???

I like the looks of your short lawns... how practical is it to grow over here? :smile:KennyV

We have some lawn types that would be good.........but depends if you are allowed to have these varieties in your Country.
Some are very hardy.....drought and frost resistant.......so Yes it would be good for you1:cool:

K

KennyV

I will have to check closer the varieties that may be suited for this soil type... I have always liked a reel mower but it is only rare that I can cut what I have that short... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

I will have to check closer the varieties that may be suited for this soil type... I have always liked a reel mower but it is only rare that I can cut what I have that short... :smile:KennyV

There is a variety called 'Bent'.......they use it on golf course greens........you may be able to buy it in America.......your gang of 'reel' mowers would be in heaven with this type of variety.:cool:

K

KennyV

There is a variety called 'Bent'.....
....your gang of 'reel' mowers would be in heaven with this type of variety.:cool:

I'll see what I can find out about it... Thanks...:thumbsup::thumbsup:
:smile:KennyV

A

abeja_reina_1989

Ouch! Nope, I've been very lucky I guess. I've never been shot with a mower or has anyone that I know of been shot. That would hurt sooo bad! OMG!