Guys see if you can shed some light here

scott47429

Threads
ok i have a husqvarna push mower with a briggs 675 series engine and when i go to start it cold it takes for ever it has a automatic choke and it acts like its not working right once its started it runs great and will restart no problem its just the first time so now for the other half of the story i have a john deer push mower with a briggs 675 series engine on it both mowers are exactly the same both have the auto choke and the john deer starts first pull so ok i sit the side by side and took the both apart so i can see the choke set up and there both set exactly the same way everything is the same but yet the husqvarna is hard to start the john deer starts first pull every time so what can be going on i can't see any difference in the set up between the mowers at all yes i have checked the float level and i have cleaned the carb but it is getting to much choke when cold any help will be great thanks

scott47429

Threads
no one can help rivets how about you please

Lawnranger

Threads
ok i have a husqvarna push mower with a briggs 675 series engine and when i go to start it cold it takes for ever it has a automatic choke and it acts like its not working right once its started it runs great and will restart no problem its just the first time so now for the other half of the story i have a john deer push mower with a briggs 675 series engine on it both mowers are exactly the same both have the auto choke and the john deer starts first pull so ok i sit the side by side and took the both apart so i can see the choke set up and there both set exactly the same way everything is the same but yet the husqvarna is hard to start the john deer starts first pull every time so what can be going on i can't see any difference in the set up between the mowers at all yes i have checked the float level and i have cleaned the carb but it is getting to much choke when cold any help will be great thanks

You said you cleaned the carburetor but it is getting too much choke when cold. This would cause a flooding condition if it got too much choke when cold. Did you mean something else? Please clarify.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Auto choke is not opening upon startup causing a rich condition. Take the shroud off and make sure that the metal arm on the auto choke thermostat is adjusted between both sets of marks on the plastic air vane arm. On this plastic arm you will see two marks for left to right position and two marks for front to back position. The metal arm can be bent so when cold it is between the marks. If this does not work the thermostat may be bad, not pulling the choke off on start up, and needs to be replaced. Remember that this is only my opinion, as there are professionals on this forum who feel that I am an old fart who does not know much.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is a bulletin out on bad cold start problems with the ready start.
Make sure its fresh upto date fuel.
Check your spark plug. Gap at 0.030" or if code after 110701 it is 0.020".
Check thermostat for binding or sticking. Make sure thermostat is adjusted correctly between the notches on the choke lever.
Check and make sure choke is fully on.
Check and thoroughly clean carb.
Check for damage in manifolds and seals.
If all above is correct, you may need a new carb.
Briggs recommend part no 794304.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for reminding me about that bulletin. Says it better than I can.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is another carb that can go on which has the idle circuit which seems to cure most problems but for the life of me I cant remember the part no.

scott47429

Threads
ok thanks guys ill do some more checking and if i need to i know where there are a few of those carbs i can get ahold of

scott47429

Threads
ok so once again i took it apart and cleaned the carb just to make sure and checked it out again the choke seems to be set right and the choke thermostat seems to be working but it still won't come off choke it starts fine if you hold there choke open its driving me nuts maybe i do need a new carb

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the auto choke is set right and it dousn't come off choke when started replaced choke thermostat, not carb.