Gun Background checks

Are you for Gun Background Checks

• Total voters

slumlord

Threads
If you buy a new firearm from a dealer,there is a background check by NICS. This is an instant background check database that checks for criminal history. If you have committed a felony,then your purchase will be denied. It is a crime to attempt purchasing a firearm under disability, but the Feds are prosecuting barely a handful of criminals who attempt to buy a gun from a dealer.
The NRA does support the instant background check system. I would have no problems in seeing NICS applying to sales at gun shows. After all,the people at gun shows gather together there because there are plenty of buyers. That in and of itself makes it much more of a commercial exchange than you and a friend or family member selling a gun or two to someone you know.
The dirty little secret is harping about 'Universal' background checks is not what the proposed legislation is about. It is really about restricting sales between even family members. A son cannot purchase a gun for his mother,brother or sister. About the only thing not forbidden is a parent giving or selling a gun to his children. Some of the firearms we now enjoy cannot be sold to anyone,and at the death of the present owner, Uncle Sam will get them. So these guys can hide behind the popular sounding universal checks,but the devil is in the details of these proposed laws.
The present system of instant background checks does not keep these checks in a permanent database. the "universal background checks" law would keep the records permanently--thus after a period of time your guns would be registered.
All it would take after registration is for the powers that be to decide that your particular choice of firearm is not approved by them and then they would send out the goon squad to confiscate them. Maybe also it might be discovered that you are taking drugs to manage depression and they come to take your guns then as well.
I was recently on Chemo for cancer. The doctors kept asking me about whether I was depressed or suicidal and things like that. Now couple Obamacare or whatever you wish to call it with some bureaucrat looking for a reason to confiscate firearms and you might face a rude awakening with a squad of guys beating on your door demanding your guns.
there is one thing that you can count on-- the day after the next gun control law ie passed, it will be described as a good first step. Ask yourself what the second ,third,and fifth steps will be before you give an inch
so I am voting NO on the proposed legislation..........

combatcarl

Threads
If you buy a new firearm from a dealer,there is a background check by NICS. This is an instant background check database that checks for criminal history. If you have committed a felony,then your purchase will be denied. It is a crime to attempt purchasing a firearm under disability, but the Feds are prosecuting barely a handful of criminals who attempt to buy a gun from a dealer.
The NRA does support the instant background check system. I would have no problems in seeing NICS applying to sales at gun shows. After all,the people at gun shows gather together there because there are plenty of buyers. That in and of itself makes it much more of a commercial exchange than you and a friend or family member selling a gun or two to someone you know.
The dirty little secret is harping about 'Universal' background checks is not what the proposed legislation is about. It is really about restricting sales between even family members. A son cannot purchase a gun for his mother,brother or sister. About the only thing not forbidden is a parent giving or selling a gun to his children. Some of the firearms we now enjoy cannot be sold to anyone,and at the death of the present owner, Uncle Sam will get them. So these guys can hide behind the popular sounding universal checks,but the devil is in the details of these proposed laws.
The present system of instant background checks does not keep these checks in a permanent database. the "universal background checks" law would keep the records permanently--thus after a period of time your guns would be registered.
All it would take after registration is for the powers that be to decide that your particular choice of firearm is not approved by them and then they would send out the goon squad to confiscate them. Maybe also it might be discovered that you are taking drugs to manage depression and they come to take your guns then as well.
I was recently on Chemo for cancer. The doctors kept asking me about whether I was depressed or suicidal and things like that. Now couple Obamacare or whatever you wish to call it with some bureaucrat looking for a reason to confiscate firearms and you might face a rude awakening with a squad of guys beating on your door demanding your guns.
there is one thing that you can count on-- the day after the next gun control law ie passed, it will be described as a good first step. Ask yourself what the second ,third,and fifth steps will be before you give an inch
so I am voting NO on the proposed legislation..........
X2. 'Nuf said. The other thing, that I have yet to find an answer to, is how will you register the criminal's weapons? Since prior case law says that a felon cannot self incriminate by registering or being forced to register firearms in their already unlawful possession. So? If you wish to be honest, and you tell me that you want a total ban on any/all firearms, say so. I'll at least respect your opinion, since that's the only way to completely reduce firearm violence. But, I'll fight you tooth and nail. As will most of us. And here, in Oregon, gunshows do background checks. And they work. So quit the BS about check-free gunshows.
X2

PIMking

Threads
I am for background checks.

I do not feel you have the right to own a gun if you commit felonies. Or even drunk driving or any drug or violent crimes.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

The problem is that people think we dont have them now which we do. But straw purchases are already illegal and somehow some people think that making everyone get one in a private purchase will stop an already illegal act which it wont.

Straw Purchases are already illegal
Selling a gun to a felon or anyone who couldn't legally own a gun is illegal

so what will having private background checks actually do? Noting, a waste of time and more money dumped into the government.

It's amazing that the fear that people have for guns, when someone kills someone with a knife we blame the killer but when it comes to guns it's the gun that does the crime.

Out of the two massively covered shootings this last year the one in Colorado was the only legally purchased and owned rifle/gun used. But his psychiatrist turned him into police before the shooting and they didn't do a thing about it. He also drove by other theaters that allowed Conceal carry to go to the one that was "gun free". He didn't anyone to shoot back at him judging how he turned himself in with out a single fired round at police. if one in ten carry and the theater held 100 people that means ten people on average had a weapon on them and would of shot back at him so he went to a victim rich zone aka Gun free zone.

The dude in CT killed his mom and stole her guns to commit his crimes. It's terrible that we lost 20 young children to a maniac. I cant fathom how I would feel if it were one of my children however knee jerk legislation isn't the answer to all of this.

I just wish that everyone that is such a huge gun control/ban proponent would move to the south side of Chicago and then tell me how great gun control is.

By the way, Ice hockey is the only real sport that takes two balls and a intestinal fortitude to play

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Background checks at Gun Shows is nothing new, there are states that have had Gun Show background checks for years. I went through a check at a gun show when I purchased my Glock 23. The thing is it doesn't make any difference to the honest people at shows buying guns because they still sell the guns to criminals so how do they help?

combatcarl

Threads
Background checks at Gun Shows is nothing new, there are states that have had Gun Show background checks for years. I went through a check at a gun show when I purchased my Glock 23. The thing is it doesn't make any difference to the honest people at shows buying guns because they still sell the guns to criminals so how do they help?

I'm not sure i understand what you're saying? Are you talking about straw purchases? And mandatory background checks on all sales is going to stop that how? The only thing that will stop straw buyers/sellers is enforcement. It is already illegal. However, why should it be illegal for me to buy a firearm and gift it to an immediate relative or friend?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
X2. 'Nuf said. The other thing, that I have yet to find an answer to, is how will you register the criminal's weapons? Since prior case law says that a felon cannot self incriminate by registering or being forced to register firearms in their already unlawful possession. So? If you wish to be honest, and you tell me that you want a total ban on any/all firearms, say so. I'll at least respect your opinion, since that's the only way to completely reduce firearm violence. But, I'll fight you tooth and nail. As will most of us. And here, in Oregon, gunshows do background checks. And they work. So quit the BS about check-free gunshows.
X2

combatcarl,
It would be commendable if the "gun show" background check requirement wasn't decided at the state level(Tennessee does NOT require background checks at gun shows). And isn't there a lot of controversy surrounding on-line sales over the Internet??? I'm not sure "how" that could be either enforced or regulated.

combatcarl

Threads
combatcarl,
It would be commendable if the "gun show" background check requirement wasn't decided at the state level(Tennessee does NOT require background checks at gun shows). And isn't there a lot of controversy surrounding on-line sales over the Internet??? I'm not sure "how" that could be either enforced or regulated.

Online sales are background check compliant. Try to buy one. It works like this. After you order your choice of firearm, it is shipped to an FFL holder of your choice and a fee is paid for their "handling". Then you go down to pick it up, complete the required paperwork, background check is done, weapon transferred, and you're done. NO online sales take place without FFL and background check.

PIMking

Threads
combatcarl,

if you purchase a weapon from a vendor you don't have to have one?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Online sales are background check compliant. Try to buy one. It works like this. After you order your choice of firearm, it is shipped to an FFL holder of your choice and a fee is paid for their "handling". Then you go down to pick it up, complete the required paperwork, background check is done, weapon transferred, and you're done. NO online sales take place without FFL and background check.

combatcarl,
That's why I asked....in regards to comments I had "heard" on TV. I've never attempted to purchase a gun on the Internet so I have no first-hand knowledge. Thanks for the clarification. But again, here in TN gun shows are exempt. That should be a "nationwide policy". Just like I stated early on in this thread about our traveling from Tennessee to Maine, camping in several states in our RV with our handgun(registered and TN issued carry permit). We broke the law in half the states we passed through because they don't "recognize" a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit.....that's insane!!!!