Gravely/Ariens Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

MO_Hacker

Threads
After spending way too many hours researching and searching for a new zero turn I finally pulled the trigger today on a ZT XL 42. Did a little mowing in the backyard and it's going to take some getting used to, little steeper learning curve than I was expecting!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are new to ZTR's then try this.
Assuming you are right handed ( reverse for LH )
Use your left hand for speed control and do all the steering with the right hand.
This will kill all of the overcompensating that happens with new ZTR's
Concentrate on the steering hand & mentally ignore the speed hand.
In a couple of mows you will have developed the muscle memory required to operate the machine without conscious thought.

MO_Hacker

Threads
If you are new to ZTR's then try this.
Assuming you are right handed ( reverse for LH )
Use your left hand for speed control and do all the steering with the right hand.
This will kill all of the overcompensating that happens with new ZTR's
Concentrate on the steering hand & mentally ignore the speed hand.
In a couple of mows you will have developed the muscle memory required to operate the machine without conscious thought.

I had read your advice in other threads and was trying to do that tonight, haha. I'll give it another go tomorrow, sure made it more fun than the old lawn tractor I'd been using!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
4 years ago I had never seen a ZTR let alone driven one.
I was happily tromping around resterants & hotel delivering booze.
Then I turned 60 and suddenly was "too old" so my contract was not renewed.
I bought Berts then all of a sudden not only had to drive ZTR's but fix them as well and that required me driving flat out during testing.
I managed to flip 1 and roll 2 more before I managed to master a technique to quickly aclimatise myself to what ever breed of ZTR I got presented with.
And of course I get them when they are not behaving properly and a lot belong to lawn care companies so have been tweeked to run faster.
A lot have shortened lap bars so 3" of movement goes from stand still to 10mph.
Washed a lot of undies in the first year.
Even now there are a couple of Danes that scare me to drive.

Trick1

Threads
Re: Help! No crank issue

I would try is checking the key switch, then jumping the seat and parking brake safety switches to see if they are the cause. My mower is finicky with steering arms having to be in the right position to start.

MO_Hacker

Threads
4 years ago I had never seen a ZTR let alone driven one.
I was happily tromping around resterants & hotel delivering booze.
Then I turned 60 and suddenly was "too old" so my contract was not renewed.
I bought Berts then all of a sudden not only had to drive ZTR's but fix them as well and that required me driving flat out during testing.
I managed to flip 1 and roll 2 more before I managed to master a technique to quickly aclimatise myself to what ever breed of ZTR I got presented with.
And of course I get them when they are not behaving properly and a lot belong to lawn care companies so have been tweeked to run faster.
A lot have shortened lap bars so 3" of movement goes from stand still to 10mph.
Washed a lot of undies in the first year.
Even now there are a couple of Danes that scare me to drive.
This morning went a lot smoother using that method, got the front yard mowed and managed to keep fairly straight lines. I don't think I gained much as far as reduced trim work with the ZTR yet since I don't trust myself to get that close. On the 42 the deck is barely wider than the tires, like 1", no more than 2", so getting too close will likely be a problem.

Saabo

Forum Newbie
Threads
GREETINGS to all Gravely & Ariens mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Gravely/Ariens owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Gravely/Ariens mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Gravely/Ariens stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

Here are a few pictures of my Ariens Ikon-X 42". This is at my mom-in-laws after mowing there. I just got this in June of this year and so far am very pleased with it.

Attachments

• WP_20160715_19_23_49_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160715_19_23_49_Pro.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 6
  • WP_20160715_19_23_57_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160715_19_23_57_Pro.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 5
  • WP_20160715_19_24_22_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160715_19_24_22_Pro.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 4
  • WP_20160715_19_25_20_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160715_19_25_20_Pro.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 9

woodduk10

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,

Just checking in - was looking online for a hydro belt diagram for my 4 year Gravely ZT 48 XL when I ran across the forum, looks like a DIY er's lifeline.

oldephart

Forum Newbie
Threads
11 yr old Gravely Mini ZT 1534 here. After much troubleshooting am almost outa ammo. Am currently wondering where they hid the 'start relay' as it's the source for the coil kill lead & the fuel solenoid. Other than that I'm just your avg ol' Okie w/ a cranky wife & a broke mower. (the relationship is obvious, as long as she doesn't see this)

ktom6@hotmail.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, My name is Ken T, I inherited a ezr 1648 mower with lots of hours on it but it still runs well. I am having a problem with the right steering that is much more severe than the left one. does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks Ken