Go Green! Give up your lawn?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It would be great when the day comes when fusion power is achieved.We in Kansas get most of our elec. from coal powered generators,we have one nuclearpower plant, both methods have drawbacks because of the types of pollution they produce.We've started using wind as a way to produce elec. but they have drawbacks too.Solar has promise but it 's cost is beyond most home owners.Hydrogen also holds promise but I think when we can achive a way of producing energy the way our sun does then that will be a day when we as humans will start to depollute this home of ours.We are all in this together so we all better learn. Fast. russ

You are SO right...

BTW I get my electricity directly from the end of that 'nuclear rod' ...
I remember when they (KG&E) were pitching for the Wolf Creek plant. "Electricity will be so cheap to make, it will not even be metered, you will just subscribe to it".... They didn't count on disposal costs.:frown:
All methods have some positive aspects, and hopefully they will tide us over, until something better replaces it all.... :smile:KennyV

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
This is a really tough debate for me. I mean, I have read all of your discussions and I can understand why everyone feels the way they do. Technically, many things we do every single day hurt the environment and there are ways to do less harm, BUT it can be expensive to make the needed changes. It's a sad cycle. I say, do what you can, when you can and in time, the world will be a cleaner place.

OMG, I sound like a total tree hugger. I swear I'm not :laughing:

Jess

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's ridiculous! You cannot change some things. People don't have the money!!

Sunshine

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think it makes sense, but people don't have that kind of money.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like with most change (for the better)...
It gets phased in... Your replacement mower IS going to be a 'bit' more green than the one you had...
The fuel you buy at the pump today has a LOT of difference to the fuel I bought 50 years ago...
the replacement coal fired generation plants being built today are not the same pollution spewing places they were 75 years ago...
In time with a "little" forethought we will have greener engines... but those that do not want to 'understand the reasons that it must be done, They will grumble about it, and the most of them will buy what is available when they need a replacement ... We as end users do not have to do a lot ... just a little, things will usually be aimed at better for everyone living on this planet... :smile:KennyV

adan

Threads
There is a cost indeed for going green. But I wonder how large a leap that would be? When mankind jumped from horses to horseless carriages, that must have been really absolutely expensive, wasn't it?

If there's a front in this "war" for environmental preservation wherein we can advance one meter forward, why not do it? In this particular case, let's start with small lawns. Combining all the area of all small lawns in the whole world that shift to electric, I think that would come up to something really substantial, wouldn't it?

P.S. I'm in Manila as I write this and there's something about the rain and wind here today that makes me nervous. Being in the country that play "host" to typhoons that sweep us from the Pacific several times a year, in my heart, guys, I have nothing in return but profound gratitude to all the people who talk "green."

lizard

Threads
I am going green.......watering my lawn......nice and green......this green thing has knobs on it........just a Big Furfy........only good for gullible people with too much Money!:confused2::eek:

gardener

Threads
I think other options to go green without giving up your lawn is to use the battery-operated mowers. If you do not want to recharge you battery form your AC outlet, you opt to have the solar powered ones.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think other options to go green without giving up your lawn is to use the battery-operated mowers. If you do not want to recharge you battery form your AC outlet, you opt to have the solar powered ones.

Of course you are right ... the different options for getting power are going to become greater as more attention is placed on eco-friendly life...
Just like the uncontrolled uses of chemical pesticides and herbicides have caused Lots of damage and death, before pressures were great enough to make change... the same is taking place with other aspects of life... It will benefit your children and grand children and their children's children ... :smile:KennyV

monica123

Threads
Where I live some of our power is generated via water and now there are lots of wind generators popping up, I try to live as green as I can but some days I can only live as green as my budget allows.