Export thread

Go Green! Give up your lawn?

M

macky

Giving up the lawn as the last option to go green? This news article technically proposes that as an additional option outside of electric mowers or battery-operated mowers.
How Green Is Your Lawn Mower? - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com

What would long-time users of gas-powered mowers say about this article's allegations?

K

KennyV

What would long-time users of gas-powered mowers say about this article's allegations?

If your going to try to be honest there is no denying that lawn mowers are among the most pouting types of engines that we commonly use...
AND that electric mowers are ever so much better... the rechargeable type typically are recharging over night, when power usage is at it's lowest... The large electric riders are great...
I had regularly used a couple of John Deere electric 90's... 36 volt rechargeable riders...:thumbsup:
I now do all my mowing with diesel... better than gas but not as clean as electric for sure...
BUT it is costly to make portable power that is clean and powerful enough to get the job of mowing done quickly...:smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

This green stuff is all lies.........for starters what is producing your electricity?
People need to wake up .....this green thing is all about 'Money'..........Wake up and smell the Roses!:confused2:

K

KennyV

This green stuff is all lies.........for starters what is producing your electricity?
People need to wake up .....this green thing is all about 'Money'..........Wake up and smell the Roses!:confused2:

Hey lizard....
I am wide awake, well for a little while yet... It's getting late, have to get a little sleep.
I have been smelling the roses... there was a time that it was difficult to do that... becoming a bit more aware of pollutants especially in congested cities, has turned that around a bit...

If you use power during 'off peak' times there is no net consequence as you have to run generators 24 - 7 ... they are running if your consuming power or not. That is why the use of electrical power is practical... it's not a perfectly 'green' answer... but on a global scale any percentage of improvement is going to be a plus...

I am a bit disappointed that Australia has the notion that it makes little or no difference how people and corporations treat the environment... Your prior statements had me thinking that your country was perhaps among the most responsible... ?
I am NOT suggesting that we get rid of technology and go back to living as they did 500 years ago... BUT left unchecked with no consequence for fouling the echo system, there are those that would not care...:smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

Hey lizard....
I am wide awake, well for a little while yet... It's getting late, have to get a little sleep.
I have been smelling the roses... there was a time that it was difficult to do that... becoming a bit more aware of pollutants especially in congested cities, has turned that around a bit...

If you use power during 'off peak' times there is no net consequence as you have to run generators 24 - 7 ... they are running if your consuming power or not. That is why the use of electrical power is practical... it's not a perfectly 'green' answer... but on a global scale any percentage of improvement is going to be a plus...

I am a bit disappointed that Australia has the notion that it makes little or no difference how people and corporations treat the environment... Your prior statements had me thinking that your country was perhaps among the most responsible... ?
I am NOT suggesting that we get rid of technology and go back to living as they did 500 years ago... BUT left unchecked with no consequence for fouling the echo system, there are those that would not care...:smile:KennyV
Well Kenny you tell 'CHINA' that...........90 coal powered generators a day spring up..........so why should the rest suffer financially.
We all live in the same ...'Bubble'..........so until other countries yield........why should we go Broke!:eek:

K

KennyV

Well Kenny you tell 'CHINA' that.....
.....so until other countries yield.....

I am sure some one IS telling them that... They have changed a lot of how they do business over the last decade... More change is coming for them...
They stand to loose more than anyone else... They are messing in their own mess kit, and they are becoming aware of it ...

As to who becomes responsible 'first'... no matter, so long as the majority of the technological, industrial nations are NOT the LAST... we all can't wait everyone else to make the more reasonable moves... KennyV

M

mois25

Well Kenny you tell 'CHINA' that...........90 coal powered generators a day spring up..........so why should the rest suffer financially.
We all live in the same ...'Bubble'..........so until other countries yield........why should we go Broke!:eek:

This analogy in amusing but then again, when China goes the way it wants to, how long would it take to affect the rest of us.

I presume going green is much bigger than what we could imagine but everything starts with a step, huh? It would also be costly giving up the gas-powered mowers for the electric, push or ride mowers.

lizard

lizard

This analogy in amusing but then again, when China goes the way it wants to, how long would it take to affect the rest of us.

I presume going green is much bigger than what we could imagine but everything starts with a step, huh? It would also be costly giving up the gas-powered mowers for the electric, push or ride mowers.

What you seem to not understand is we all live in a 'Bubble'........so what China does will effect you eventually......so do some reading up on how China is killing us off?:eek:

K

KennyV

What you seem to not understand is we all live in a 'Bubble'........so what China does will effect you eventually......so do some reading up on how China is killing us off?:eek:

What they are doing is not much different than what all industrialized countries have done when developing...
They are just LARGER and communications are better so we are more aware of it today...
The fact that we have learned what the consequences are and are implementing change in the way WE do things... shows WE have some insight to the situation...
The people in China and India and other developing nations are not completely stupid... They are living in the middle of what they are doing, They will also see the value of 'going green'...
We are in a MUCH better position to be first at making meaningful change. and some of that change COULD include more efficient 'greener' mowers... (for you John Deere folks, Pun intended)
:smile:KennyV

173abn

173abn

It would be great when the day comes when fusion power is achieved.We in Kansas get most of our elec. from coal powered generators,we have one nuclearpower plant, both methods have drawbacks because of the types of pollution they produce.We've started using wind as a way to produce elec. but they have drawbacks too.Solar has promise but it 's cost is beyond most home owners.Hydrogen also holds promise but I think when we can achive a way of producing energy the way our sun does then that will be a day when we as humans will start to depollute this home of ours.We are all in this together so we all better learn. Fast. russ

K

KennyV

It would be great when the day comes when fusion power is achieved.We in Kansas get most of our elec. from coal powered generators,we have one nuclearpower plant, both methods have drawbacks because of the types of pollution they produce.We've started using wind as a way to produce elec. but they have drawbacks too.Solar has promise but it 's cost is beyond most home owners.Hydrogen also holds promise but I think when we can achive a way of producing energy the way our sun does then that will be a day when we as humans will start to depollute this home of ours.We are all in this together so we all better learn. Fast. russ

You are SO right...

BTW I get my electricity directly from the end of that 'nuclear rod' ...
I remember when they (KG&E) were pitching for the Wolf Creek plant. "Electricity will be so cheap to make, it will not even be metered, you will just subscribe to it".... They didn't count on disposal costs.:frown:
All methods have some positive aspects, and hopefully they will tide us over, until something better replaces it all.... :smile:KennyV

A

abeja_reina_1989

This is a really tough debate for me. I mean, I have read all of your discussions and I can understand why everyone feels the way they do. Technically, many things we do every single day hurt the environment and there are ways to do less harm, BUT it can be expensive to make the needed changes. It's a sad cycle. I say, do what you can, when you can and in time, the world will be a cleaner place.

OMG, I sound like a total tree hugger. I swear I'm not :laughing:

J

Jess

That's ridiculous! You cannot change some things. People don't have the money!!

S

Sunshine

I think it makes sense, but people don't have that kind of money.

K

KennyV

Like with most change (for the better)...
It gets phased in... Your replacement mower IS going to be a 'bit' more green than the one you had...
The fuel you buy at the pump today has a LOT of difference to the fuel I bought 50 years ago...
the replacement coal fired generation plants being built today are not the same pollution spewing places they were 75 years ago...
In time with a "little" forethought we will have greener engines... but those that do not want to 'understand the reasons that it must be done, They will grumble about it, and the most of them will buy what is available when they need a replacement ... We as end users do not have to do a lot ... just a little, things will usually be aimed at better for everyone living on this planet... :smile:KennyV

adan

adan

There is a cost indeed for going green. But I wonder how large a leap that would be? When mankind jumped from horses to horseless carriages, that must have been really absolutely expensive, wasn't it?

If there's a front in this "war" for environmental preservation wherein we can advance one meter forward, why not do it? In this particular case, let's start with small lawns. Combining all the area of all small lawns in the whole world that shift to electric, I think that would come up to something really substantial, wouldn't it?

P.S. I'm in Manila as I write this and there's something about the rain and wind here today that makes me nervous. Being in the country that play "host" to typhoons that sweep us from the Pacific several times a year, in my heart, guys, I have nothing in return but profound gratitude to all the people who talk "green."

lizard

lizard

I am going green.......watering my lawn......nice and green......this green thing has knobs on it........just a Big Furfy........only good for gullible people with too much Money!:confused2::eek:

G

gardener

I think other options to go green without giving up your lawn is to use the battery-operated mowers. If you do not want to recharge you battery form your AC outlet, you opt to have the solar powered ones.

K

KennyV

I think other options to go green without giving up your lawn is to use the battery-operated mowers. If you do not want to recharge you battery form your AC outlet, you opt to have the solar powered ones.

Of course you are right ... the different options for getting power are going to become greater as more attention is placed on eco-friendly life...
Just like the uncontrolled uses of chemical pesticides and herbicides have caused Lots of damage and death, before pressures were great enough to make change... the same is taking place with other aspects of life... It will benefit your children and grand children and their children's children ... :smile:KennyV

M

monica123

Where I live some of our power is generated via water and now there are lots of wind generators popping up, I try to live as green as I can but some days I can only live as green as my budget allows.

K

KennyV

... but some days I can only live as green as my budget allows.

I think that's the way the majority of us are doing it... But it all adds up, Just 10 years ago some folks did that, and 20 years ago almost no one gave it much of a thought... bit by bit, things get better. :smile:KennyV

M

monica123

Very true. I figure if I do what I can it is better than doing nothing at all. I mean I compost my own soil, we recycle all we can and reuse anything worth reusing or re-purpose it. I think were doing OK.