First time Buyer

LawnoftheDad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everybody!

I'd like to start off by saying how amazed I am at the level of expertise and experience on here. I discovered this forum today as I began research to purchase my very first ride-on lawn mower and have been very appreciative of the knowledge that's floating around these threads.

With that said, while I am actively researching the old posts on here, I am in a bit of a time crunch because I need to decide if I'll be continuing with my lawn service next week and so I wanted to simultaneously start a thread here to take a more direct approach at information-gathering.

My property is roughly 1 acre with a small-medium slope at two locations. Most of what I found online pointed to the Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro line as a budget-friendly but reliable residential tractor. Of those, the 46" or 50" stands out to me as a good width. I used my neighbor's 2010 Troy Bilt (42" deck) to establish the time I'll need to commit if I make this switch, and I finished the mowing part in an hour and 15 minutes. So, I figure the 46/50 will shave some time off that while still allowing me to reach the tight spots that I was able to get into with my neighbor's tractor.

As to those two models, besides the cutting width, the other factors are the engine size (kohler 22hp vs. 24hp) and the deck (stamped vs. fabricated). I have a CC snowblower that has served me well for several years so I am partial to the big yellow SOBs, but I'm also receptive to hearing if someone recommends going a different route (Deere, Toro, etc..). I should say, I am not terribly interested in a zero turn as I don't have much property and I think I'll be using this in the winter for some light plowing as well.

The other X-factor that I've had a hard time finding info on is whether the XT2 is worth the bump in cost for the "premium" parts. Not sure if that's more marketing or actual substantial and superior quality.

Thank you in advance for any and all contributions and happy mowing!

TonyPrin

Threads
Starting with your last question, the XT2 costs about $300 more than the XT1. The upgraded parts would cost that much if you did them all. I think the bumper is most important starting out and the armrests are least. My suggestion would be to stick with the XT1 until you see which upgrades, if any, are important to you.

In terms of size, you can certainly save time with the larger deck but how much would depend on the lawn dimensions. For example, where you have tight spaces up to about 25', the number of passes is likely to be the same because you're only saving a few inches per pass. Open areas (like a football field) will save the most time with the larger deck. Engine size can be important, particularly if you add a cart, vacuum, or other accessories. A fabricated deck will last longer but you should maintain either one. Overall, I'd choose the 50", not so much for the size as the power and fabricated deck.

Deere is an excellent brand, at least on par with Cub Cadet. If the models were comparable and money about the same, I'd probably take the Deere. Having said that, the XT1 with today's Kohler engine is a good machine and one that will serve you well. If the models are comparable and the Cub Cadet is cheaper, I'd have no problem with the Cub Cadet. Overll, I agree with your description of the Enduro as "a budget-friendly but reliable residential tractor".

Last edited:

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Hello everybody!

I'd like to start off by saying how amazed I am at the level of expertise and experience on here. I discovered this forum today as I began research to purchase my very first ride-on lawn mower and have been very appreciative of the knowledge that's floating around these threads.

With that said, while I am actively researching the old posts on here, I am in a bit of a time crunch because I need to decide if I'll be continuing with my lawn service next week and so I wanted to simultaneously start a thread here to take a more direct approach at information-gathering.

My property is roughly 1 acre with a small-medium slope at two locations. Most of what I found online pointed to the Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro line as a budget-friendly but reliable residential tractor. Of those, the 46" or 50" stands out to me as a good width. I used my neighbor's 2010 Troy Bilt (42" deck) to establish the time I'll need to commit if I make this switch, and I finished the mowing part in an hour and 15 minutes. So, I figure the 46/50 will shave some time off that while still allowing me to reach the tight spots that I was able to get into with my neighbor's tractor.

As to those two models, besides the cutting width, the other factors are the engine size (kohler 22hp vs. 24hp) and the deck (stamped vs. fabricated). I have a CC snowblower that has served me well for several years so I am partial to the big yellow SOBs, but I'm also receptive to hearing if someone recommends going a different route (Deere, Toro, etc..). I should say, I am not terribly interested in a zero turn as I don't have much property and I think I'll be using this in the winter for some light plowing as well.

The other X-factor that I've had a hard time finding info on is whether the XT2 is worth the bump in cost for the "premium" parts. Not sure if that's more marketing or actual substantial and superior quality.

Thank you in advance for any and all contributions and happy mowing!

I would go with a low end big box store zero turn. Brand doesn’t matter, they are all cheaply made at the approximate $3500 price point. Cub Cadet, John Deere, Troy Bilt, etc. (riding mowers) at the low end big box store equipment, there is very little difference in quality or features.

GearHead36

Threads
If $300 bumps you up to a fabricated deck, I'd go that route. Upgrading the deck would be cost prohibitive. Like others have said, you still have to maintain either one. If you ever have some brush that, even though you know you shouldn't, you decide to mow it anyway, you'll be glad for the fabricated deck. I'd also go with a v-twin engine. All of the v-twins, whether from Kawasaki, Kohler or Briggs, are better than their singles.

bkeller500

Threads
I have seen too many bad reviews on Cub units. Even looking at them in a showroom I see weaknesses that turn me away. With simplicity exiting the game, that leaves JD as a better option. Anything less than the 300X series from JD is subject to wear issues but then again depending on your use on 1-acre you could get 5 or 6 years of good service life and go from there. To me it's all about the deck and the look after the mow. Simplicity Fabricated decks preformed very well.....might be a good Simplicity out there! Look at your neighbors yards...which one looks best to you? What do they use?

LawnoftheDad

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have seen too many bad reviews on Cub units. Even looking at them in a showroom I see weaknesses that turn me away. With simplicity exiting the game, that leaves JD as a better option. Anything less than the 300X series from JD is subject to wear issues but then again depending on your use on 1-acre you could get 5 or 6 years of good service life and go from there. To me it's all about the deck and the look after the mow. Simplicity Fabricated decks preformed very well.....might be a good Simplicity out there! Look at your neighbors yards...which one looks best to you? What do they use?

Thank you for the info. As to your question, unfortunately there are very few houses in my development that actually cut their own lawn. Of those that do, only two use a ride-on tractor. The Troy Bilt that I borrowed from my neighbor did a good job on my property for the test run, while my other neighbor uses a zero-turn, but for aforementioned reasons I'm not particularly interested in that level of mower. Also, I like but don't need the clearly defined lines that the commercial guys roll into the lawn.

LawnoftheDad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Starting with your last question, the XT2 costs about $300 more than the XT1. The upgraded parts would cost that much if you did them all. I think the bumper is most important starting out and the armrests are least. My suggestion would be to stick with the XT1 until you see which upgrades, if any, are important to you.

In terms of size, you can certainly save time with the larger deck but how much would depend on the lawn dimensions. For example, where you have tight spaces up to about 25', the number of passes is likely to be the same because you're only saving a few inches per pass. Open areas (like a football field) will save the most time with the larger deck. Engine size can be important, particularly if you add a cart, vacuum, or other accessories. A fabricated deck will last longer but you should maintain either one. Overall, I'd choose the 50", not so much for the size as the power and fabricated deck.

Deere is an excellent brand, at least on par with Cub Cadet. If the models were comparable and money about the same, I'd probably take the Deere. Having said that, the XT1 with today's Kohler engine is a good machine and one that will serve you well. If the models are comparable and the Cub Cadet is cheaper, I'd have no problem with the Cub Cadet. Overll, I agree with your description of the Enduro as "a budget-friendly but reliable residential tractor".

Thank you for the info, that's a good point about the lawn dimensions. A fair amount of property is wide open so I do think that speaks to the 50". Another thing I saw was that the 50" has 3 blades while the 46" only has 2...does the larger number of blades typically equate to better results?

What is the significance of the bumper, is it that it allows you to get close to things without fear of cracking the front end?

LawnoftheDad

Forum Newbie
Threads
If $300 bumps you up to a fabricated deck, I'd go that route. Upgrading the deck would be cost prohibitive. Like others have said, you still have to maintain either one. If you ever have some brush that, even though you know you shouldn't, you decide to mow it anyway, you'll be glad for the fabricated deck. I'd also go with a v-twin engine. All of the v-twins, whether from Kawasaki, Kohler or Briggs, are better than their singles.

Duly noted. In regards to the engine, all of the CC Kohlers are "twin cylinder"; is that the same as v-twins?