First time Buyer

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you ever need to transport it in a pick up truck , a 42 inch will fit but a 48 inch wont and maybe a 46 inch won;t go in . For deck cleaning and blade maintenance i prefer a 42" cut .
I'd be looking at the J Deer mods .

TonyPrin

Threads
What is the significance of the bumper, is it that it allows you to get close to things without fear of cracking the front end?
The bumper is only on the front and just protection. It helps when going around things, when you put it away, or if other things bang into it.

old yooper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Whatever mower you choose, try to buy from a (local) dealer that does maintenance on mowers and other small engine equipment.
Even if you do most or all the maintenance yourself, the reason for this is that the dealer will usually have parts in stock and should be able to answer questions and not just questions about the mower you purchased.

Threads
SeniorCitizen has a great point - I have a couple of acres & have used a 42" (JD) for 20+ years. It fits fine in the bed of a pickup, but anything larger would be a problem. Also, if you have any flower beds or natural areas you mow around, it's easier to maneuver around those with a smaller deck. You might end up spending 10 minutes more mowing with a smaller 42" over a 50", but it's less expensive to purchase initially too. Then again, if you're looking to do some heavy tasks such as winter plowing, etc., then you might benefit from the bigger footprint of a 50".

barny57

Threads
Hello everybody!

I'd like to start off by saying how amazed I am at the level of expertise and experience on here. I discovered this forum today as I began research to purchase my very first ride-on lawn mower and have been very appreciative of the knowledge that's floating around these threads.

With that said, while I am actively researching the old posts on here, I am in a bit of a time crunch because I need to decide if I'll be continuing with my lawn service next week and so I wanted to simultaneously start a thread here to take a more direct approach at information-gathering.

My property is roughly 1 acre with a small-medium slope at two locations. Most of what I found online pointed to the Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro line as a budget-friendly but reliable residential tractor. Of those, the 46" or 50" stands out to me as a good width. I used my neighbor's 2010 Troy Bilt (42" deck) to establish the time I'll need to commit if I make this switch, and I finished the mowing part in an hour and 15 minutes. So, I figure the 46/50 will shave some time off that while still allowing me to reach the tight spots that I was able to get into with my neighbor's tractor.

As to those two models, besides the cutting width, the other factors are the engine size (kohler 22hp vs. 24hp) and the deck (stamped vs. fabricated). I have a CC snowblower that has served me well for several years so I am partial to the big yellow SOBs, but I'm also receptive to hearing if someone recommends going a different route (Deere, Toro, etc..). I should say, I am not terribly interested in a zero turn as I don't have much property and I think I'll be using this in the winter for some light plowing as well.

The other X-factor that I've had a hard time finding info on is whether the XT2 is worth the bump in cost for the "premium" parts. Not sure if that's more marketing or actual substantial and superior quality.

Thank you in advance for any and all contributions and happy mowing!
I have a JDX 485 and a JD 425 I have snow blowers for both and leaf carts if you look around you can Find some good deals I have $5600 in everything I’ve had both for many years neither one has ever been in the shop but you have to do your maintenance both the machines the decks and snowblowers are shaft drive no belts

Threads
Howdy!
I am 73, and since '92 I have owned 2 Craftman's, a Cub, a lesser JD, a Husq YT42DXLS and now a JD X-370 - all 42 in. decks (I can't get anything larger in my basement but wouldn't want a larger deck even if I could)! For me, the absolute worst lawn tractor I ever owned (for like a minute😣) was the Cub. I bought it new from a dealer, and the very first time I mowed with it the left front tire fell off, the gas cap leaked to the point it was dangerous and eventually the tank wound up being replaced. It was loud and, worst of all, used way more oil than acceptable. I don't remember the engine, HP or the model #, but it was a POS . . . Finally, it reeked of cheapness all around. Perhaps I just got hold of a bad one, but no second chances for CC.
If I had your lawn - which sounds rather flat to rolling, with few or no rocks, trees, etc., and only an acre, I likely would go with the 42 in. deck. You may find that a huge deck is not nearly as maneuverable and will not follow as closely the undulations of the lawn. Additionally, you may get into a 3-blade situation - more difficult and costly blade maintenance.

I mow 1/2 acre of rolling chain link fenced yard with an outbuilding, a few large rocks and some basketball sized, and an open, one-acre field which is at best rough, and which also is about 1/3 hillside - so steep that a locking differential was necessary until that Husqvarna I mentioned kept trashing trannys. I got rid of it and paid over 6K for the best tractor I've ever owned - a JD X-370. Maneuverability is everything to me. 42 in. deck, hydraulic power steering and deck lift and 2 JD 45lb. weights to conquer those hills - which are FAR too steep for a zero turn! It's a horse! You don't need weights, but the power steering is effing WONDERFUL. It's almost like a zero turn in that respect. Check one out at a dealer and give it a spin!

One other thing whatever you get: armrests are a bonus, but the bumper I bought is now hanging on my basement wall. All it does is keep you 6-8 in. from maximum cutting coverage. Happy shopping!

Last edited:
Threads
If you ever need to transport it in a pick up truck , a 42 inch will fit but a 48 inch wont and maybe a 46 inch won;t go in . For deck cleaning and blade maintenance i prefer a 42" cut .

Great point, SC!

TobyU

Threads

I've cut 48-in deck riding lawn mowers in a standard Chevy 8-ft pickup bed many times.
It's not convenient and you have to pull the deck up above one side onto the wheel well but it can be done.

TobyU

Threads
To be honest, if I were the neighbor to the OP and we had identical lots. He could go out and buy whichever new one he wanted and I can get on Craigslist or market price and buy a used 42 or 48-in rider.
We could go 15 years or 20 into the future if you want to and I very well might be on my second or even third riding mower but I'm guessing I would still be on the 2nd maybe even the first, but we could total up how much money I spent on my rider(s) and how much he spent on his one new one.

I guarantee he would have spent a lot more money than I would.
This doesn't account for repairs but not really worried about that at this point.
I really don't see the use in buying new equipment.
The further we go into the future the cheaper quality and worse it gets and the price keeps going up.
It's simply a tool to get the job done.
I'm currently mowing my lawn with a grasshopper that's either a 92 or 94 model that I bought used for $750 back in 2009.
It will more than likely last another 15 years.
I haven't done anything to it but change the hydro oil one time after I got it and change the oil a few times but certainly not a lot.
I did have to put a new belt on it as the old one was out of adjustment and had a lot of rubber dust on it but it's been fairly trouble-free.

Midnight_Rider

Forum Newbie
Threads
See if you can borrow the other neighbors zero turn and see if you really dislike them as most people love the faster cutting times,no gear selecting,better handling and steering of zero turns.. 3 blades vs 2 blades is a much better,faster cut in my opinion,and 50" zero turns can be found reasonably priced vs bigger fancier ZTs.. On the other hand most 2 bladed 42,46,48 standard riding mowers are all built by 1 or 2 companies such as AYP, and almost all the same other than paint,decals,engine choices and they generally have the same problems, wear the same,about the same maintenance costs,etc.
Major brands like JD,Skag,Grasshopper,and other higher end mowers and ZTs get pretty pricey quickly and often have higher parts costs than the more generic AYP brands ; Husqvarna, Craftsman, Murray,Cub Cadet,Troy Bilt,box stores Toro,etc... if price is no object then go find a Kubota stealership and throw down on one of their diesel models which are pretty good if you want super fast cutting,and don't mind the costs..