Finished: Rebuilt rear axle Toro 22" Personal Pace for a friend.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Finished: Rebuilt rear axle Toro 22" Personal Pace for a friend.
all parts on hand or on order. $272. well worth it. Should be done with all put the trailing guard and recycling plug today. Those parts are due in from Toro any day. Thanks to all including Rivets especially.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Before I go in deeper is this normal axle play on a 22" Recycler? If not any idea what parts commonly cause this so I can prepare for it? The whole axle assembly shifts so it is not in the differential.

axle1.jpg

axle2.jpg

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sg, have you even looked at the manual I posted for you on how the drive system works on your unit? I’ll bet not, so you want someone to do the work for you. I’m not going to do that, because if you had and you have any common knowledge of what that drive gear is telling you, you would understand that lack of maintenance is causing wear and those gears need to be replaced. On another point, you put $272+ into a unit that was sold new for $375. Hope you can find a sucker who will pay you the same cost for a 11 year old unit.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
we can't go back in time. The equal model with inferior parts is $700 - $900 here. Effective January 1, 2024 they cannot even be sold here. I read your manual and have it saved to the hard drive as well. It makes no sense to order new thrust and ball bearings if that is normal play. All the thrust washers and e-clips on both sides are intact. The circlips at the thrust bearings are too. I have new parts other than those.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Who are you trying to kid? Just looked up a comparable model in Redding CA, price $499.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
not kidding anyone. I did look it up. This is a 22" electric start rear wheel drive personal pace recycler with the Tecumseh engine. Also looked up the ratings on the new TOROs that are similar, quite poor compared to the older models. Lots of used ones but they will have similar problems. The first question I asked in this thread was about replacing the Toro wheels @ $55 each plus tax. As to the axle play, it is not mentioned in the manual, I looked again. Nor can I find it by comparing the dimensions on new bearings and bushings. The frame is not tweaked either. I've run out of parts where it could be.

Also the axle floats inside the ball bearings that go into the bushings. There is no stop on the inside. The new driven key is rectangular where as the old key is half moon - don't know it that matters as to the gear drive when I get to that point of the repair.

The local mower shop is one of two Toro shops in the area. Both are large shops. The one towards downtown had their mechanic retire, the one here lost theirs as he passed away recently. The counter people don't know where the play is either, and they see a lot of units. All the parts are there with equal thickness more or less to the originals. How we got that much play is beyond me. If no one here knows if this play is normal, and they are guessing like everyone else, maybe I will just use the old thrust washers to take part of it up. I don't know. Nor do I feel like bantering with anyone. My closest cousin passed away this morning after a battle with her COPD and the smoke on the east coast. I'd like to get this mower fixed and back to my neighbor. And yes, he would rather spend the money to fix it than spend double or more that on a new one. We are both in our 70's and would not get the full benefit of a new mower. I'm sure if we were in our 50's we would just buy a new mower.

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is no other place the freeplay can have come from except by design. All the parts except the axle, wheel bolts, covers, and housing have been replaced. If no one knows the answer if that is normal, that is Ok.

Nothing binds. Maybe the factory wanted the wheels to float a little so the pinion and wheel teeth would equalize the wear over a larger width. With new parts the play is about 3/8th".

The same generic personal pace with electric start is $560 this week with tax at the orange big box store, shipping to store only, none-stocked locally (Redding is a 360 mile round trip). It is $50 more directly from Toro. He has a mower that will last the rest of his life for half that cost.

Last edited:

upupandaway

Threads
"2. One rear wheel is broken." I saw HD sells the Toro drive wheel with metal sprocket the other day. Maybe this is only in my area.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
"2. One rear wheel is broken." I saw HD sells the Toro drive wheel with metal sprocket the other day. Maybe this is only in my area.
Thanks. It turned out rust had gotten to all the drive parts on each side. Replaced it all. There are quite a few substitutes for the drive wheels. Considered them but the reviews for them, including a Stens wheel read constantly like, "failed on the third mowing... ."

There was a discussion a year or two ago where someone wanted to re-use the 3 rivets and gear on a front wheel to make a rear wheel, since the front wheels cost so much less. Someone said they had tried it and the rivets came loose, someone else said that there is some special process where they are put in when the plastic is at a certain temperature and more flexible.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do not use the stens wheels. They have the plastic gear. I have some. The gear teeth barely mesh with the drive gear and will start slipping almost immediately. I have tried them on different toro mowers. Only way I could use them was to swap the old gear off a wheel to the new wheel. Crap fix but worked to fix bald wheels. If I remember right the front and rear wheels have different diameter axles and different models are different.

Last edited: