Finished: Rebuilt rear axle Toro 22" Personal Pace for a friend.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Finished: Rebuilt rear axle Toro 22" Personal Pace for a friend.
Toro 22" Recycler 20018 S/N 220346266 20 years old first service.

Neighbor was thinking of EV and decided to have his Toro serviced. I told him I would be happy to do it for him, we've been neighbors for over 30 years. Same age, same backgrounds, he is as much a buddy as a neighbor. I have a couple questions for the pros here. If it were my own money I would know the answers but spending someone else's money is different. I want the best but don't want to waste any of his money or get poor quality parts either.

1. The belt will need replacement. A genuine Toro belt is $23.09. A Stens belt Amazon is $8.49, Oregon is $13.13 Says takes the 91-2258. There are also some other off brands on Amazon. Which would you use?

2. One rear wheel is broken. The hub is broken off inside the wheel and wiggles and spins. That wheel is bald w/ no tread left whereas the good wheel has plenty of tread left on it like the fronts. Not sure what that is about. The wheel wobbled but it was not the bolt, it was the center part of the hub the bolt goes thru had broken from the outer rim. Would you replace one or both rear wheels? I am inclined to replace both but...? Part number 105-3036 $53.54 each from Toro. There are Amazon brands Kofinam $34.99 pair, Tengmujx #32.99 pair, Budrash $32.99 pair, OTDSPARES $35.99 pair, etc.. Amazon has a two pack of Toro wheels for $58.50. Several people rated them as failures after just a few mowings so I suspect they are not genuine wheels but I do not know, maybe Toro only sells these now. Someone said the sprocket is plastic but the one that came off has a steel sprocket.

wheel.jpg

3. I have not pulled the belt yet but there is a battery bolted that must be removed where there could be bolts hiding on top for the plastic belt cover. Is this assumption correct, or do I need to loosen the transmission and pivot it to replace the belt? My 21" is similar but was held together a little different and easier to access the belt for replacement. The photo image for that assembly appears to show 3 bolts/screws that hold the plastic belt cover on.

4. Not sure whether to sharpen the blade or replace it. The blade is marked Atomic Blade. You can see the dings that are still left after filing it for a couple minutes. I beaded it to be able to balance it and check for cracks.

blade1.jpgblade2.jpg

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Answers, 1. replace the belt with Toro. 2. replace both wheels with Toro. 3. bolt located under battery box. Check out attached manual. 4. Blade looks like an original Toro blade. Can’t tell if the blade can be sharpened, because I can’t see the thickness of the back of the blade.
How can I make these recommendations, been working at Toro dealers since 1983 and that style drive and wheels have been around for a long time. Never found any aftermarket parts that worked as well as the Toro parts. A good Toro dealer may have some decent wheels laying around.
Maybe with this and the last time I bailed you out, you will realize I’m more than the jerk you think I am. I’ve been around the block more than once and teachers know that some students need to be pushed hard to get the best out of them. Next time you criticize my posts, ENGAGE BRAIN BEFORE OPENING MOUTH.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
thanks to both.

Do images these help?

blade1.jpgblade2.jpgblade3.jpgblade4.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Back of the blade has plenty of thickness, I would re resharpening.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you. Will do.

Blade cleaned up and balanced fine. Lost maybe 1/8th inch on the cutting edge. Ground it on a cool grinder wheel then filed and honed. Cleaned up better than I though it would. I'll add a photo after it is cleaned again and painted.

On the rear wheels, do they come with new bushings or do I need to press the old ones out then into the new wheels? Does anyone know?

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
after cleaning 20 years of clippings, wire brushing, sanding and as close as possible rustoleum. Blade and adapter is a 3m quick drying trim spray that works well on black items plus lasts. Blade cleaned up nicely. I had my doubts but followed Rivet's advise and sharpened it. Waiting on parts now. The local mower shop or the one in Sacramento may have the parts, if not I will order them tomorrow from Toro. Thanks to all. mower1.jpg

blade1.jpg

blade2.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Toro blades are designed to be sharpened until the back of the blade gets too thin. Wheels contain bushings.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
The trailing guard also needs to be replaced. I see it just flexes to come out. A video of a later Toro 22" recycler shows screws that go into each side of the rubber shaft to secure it. Are these needed on the superseded trailing guard 114-1585? Original part number was 105-1843 and has no screws. model again is 20018 S/N 220346266