exmark quest

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes the relay is part of the starting system. Actually it is a lockout relay.

Temporarily find the ground side of the starter solenoid and ground it to the frame and test to see if the starter solenoid will operate the starter.

But that voltage drop you reported is worrisome indicates either poor connection or large short somewhere.

jmrollans

Threads
I ohm'ed all the ground from the battery to the engine block and it was good. is there another ground somewhere? I still have the same issue when i turn the key switch all i get is a clicking sound by the relay and the voltage from the battery drops. is there another ground on this mower besides the one from the battery to the block?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A dirty or loose connection will cause a drop in voltage. If the battery voltage drops below 10 VDC when trying to start your battery is bad, as at least one cell is corrupted. Time to replace it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Ever thought that it might not a grounding issue but positive side issue? A lot bad wiring will test good with an ohms meter as the meter is a low current tester. Faulty connections may only show under load which why you have switch over testing to voltage drop testing when have problems like one. IE: A bad that has internally corroded terminal can read good with an ohms meter but has a large voltage drop under load as the current demand is much higher and the resistance of the corrode increases. Normally a 5 foot battery has only a very small voltage across it length but when a corrode terminal is involved that same may show several volts across its length.

A good example here would the customer that change everything in the starting circuit but the wiring because the ohms said the harness was good. Well it turn out to be a fifty cent Delphi terminal that just barely making contact and then opened up under normal loads. He had spend well over $300 trying the problem to only find if had brought it into the shop it would cost $50.

jmrollans

Threads
Ever thought that it might not a grounding issue but positive side issue? A lot bad wiring will test good with an ohms meter as the meter is a low current tester. Faulty connections may only show under load which why you have switch over testing to voltage drop testing when have problems like one. IE: A bad that has internally corroded terminal can read good with an ohms meter but has a large voltage drop under load as the current demand is much higher and the resistance of the corrode increases. Normally a 5 foot battery has only a very small voltage across it length but when a corrode terminal is involved that same may show several volts across its length.

A good example here would the customer that change everything in the starting circuit but the wiring because the ohms said the harness was good. Well it turn out to be a fifty cent Delphi terminal that just barely making contact and then opened up under normal loads. He had spend well over $300 trying the problem to only find if had brought it into the shop it would cost $50.
ok, i appreciate all the advice and knowledge that has been given by all. Decided to back up 10 and punt, putting in mechanic shop tomorrow!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There is no shame asking for local professional help. We can only guide you so far as personally I need things in my hand at times. Just hope the shop you carry it to has the knowledge and experience to do the work. I say this because several shops in my area just fake it when comes to electrical work.

lowmow

Threads
Where are you measuring the battery voltage?On the battery post itself or on the cable connector on the battery post?Use the battery post itself,not the cable at the battery.
Hold the key on for a minute or so, and feel for a warm or hot connection on all connection points.The inside of the battery cable connector may be corroded and not visible, just a dull grey color.Clean the inside of both negative and positive terminals with emery cloth,or a battery post connector cleaner(cheap) until they are shiny, but if a lot of current is passing through it,it will be warm to the touch.Remove the battery ground and clean it down to new clean metal also.Do not assume that it is a good connection just because it is tight.Corrosion can occur between two dissimilar metals,like the aluminum block and the ground connector cable.Put a star washer on both side of the connector to ensure a good "bite" into the metal.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/410xYxIg9-L._AC_.jpg (battery post cleaner)

Star washer below.Should be available at a hardware store..get stainless steel if possible.
1702737482902.jpeg

Freddie21

Threads
If you have put the battery directly across the starter and it does not turn, it suggests you have a very tight component. You have swapped the starter so that could be eliminated. Can you turn the engine 360 degrees by hand? Remove the spark plug and try this again. If freely turns, then try jumping across the starter again. If this is good, try using the internal battery and the key to see if it turns.

You may have an issue where the starter gear is being jammed on the fly wheel. You may have an internal jam inside the engine such as a bent push rod. Is the PTO belt on and putting a load on the crank shaft when the key is turned? What was the mower doing when this stated? Cutting or sitting idle?

Timbo37

Forum Newbie
Threads
The motor is not locked up right? Did you put the jumper from the car ground on the battery ground and positive on the starter side of of the relay/solenoid to bypass it so you know if the internal of the replay is not causing problem?

If it does nothing move the positive to the starter connection on the starter and if it doesn't spin the starter can try tapping on the starter while its hooked up to see if the brushes are connecting.