exmark quest

jmrollans

Threads
I have an Exmark Quest that is having starting issues. When I turn the key to start all i hear is a clicking sound, thought the starter was bad, changed it and have the same issue, replaced the starter solenoid, nope same issue. Checked the voltage on the battery, dropped from 12.9 to 7.8 when i turn key, replaced the battery thought had a bad cell, not the problem still have same issue. I feel like i am chasing my tail now and not getting anywhere! any help would be appreicated!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yelp need down where the massive voltage drop is occurring using voltage drop tests.I have cables to be bad internally but still looked good externally.

jmrollans

Threads
Have you checked to see that all connections are very clean and tight, especially the ground cable to frame connection.
i have checked the connections they appear to be all tight. i did not see a ground cable that attached to the frame, just a ground cable from the battery to the engine block???

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Engine block or frame, either one will provide a return route. Appear to be tight and clean and tight are two different things. As I taught my students when troubleshooting electrical problems. NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING, AND ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING.

jmrollans

Threads
update on my issue, I tested the ground and it ohm good. tried the jumper cable idea and it didnt work. when i turn the key to start the relay by fuseblock clicks. is that realy part of the starting system?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You know it might help if we knew which model you have of the 74 Quest models so someone can look-up the wiring schematics.

From Partstree
1702477341503.png