Engine won`t start after Winter break

cairnx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I have a "Rally" branded Ride on mower powered by a 12.5 HP OHV Briggs and Stratton engine model no. 219807 , type 0388 B1.

The mower is approx 9 years old and hasn`t missed a beat - until now!.

In short, after a winter break, I can not start the engine. There is a rapid "machine gun" clicking when I turn the key , but nothing else. There is also a feint smell of Sulphur in the air.

I am no expert , but have put in a new spark plug and recharged the battery, but to no avail. If anyone could help point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To me it sounds like your battery is the problem. Probably have a bad cell and will not take a charge. Have it load tested if possible, or they to jump start it with a known good battery. If jump starting works, replace the battery.

cairnx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for that - I did try jump starting from a car, but not sure it worked - I hooked up the jump leads from my car to the mower , but did not start the car engine (think i read that it would be too much for the mower battery to handle?). Anyway, it made no difference at all, just made the same rapid clicking noise.
Should I try again but with the car engine running ? , or maybe disconnect the car battery from the car before jumping again , or did I do it right meaning it is not the battery which is at fault ?

Do you know what the rapid clicking noise is? - does it mean the starter is ok ?

Appreciate the help, I have little experience of engines (I`m sure you can tell!) so am very grateful for your assistance

best regards

Steve

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
remove the spark plug and try to rotate the engine by hand.
let us know what happens and what you find.

cairnx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will do that in the morning (10.30pm here now) and report back - thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try jumping the unit this way to remove the battery from the circuit. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. Attach the positive jumper to positive cable on the battery and the negative jumper to a good chassis ground. If the unit starts, then the battery is bad. If the unit still clicks, your solenoid is bad. The clicking sound is coming from the solenoid where the is not holding the contacts tight.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
With the smell of sulphur it would tell me that you have a short in the battery.

cairnx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try jumping the unit this way to remove the battery from the circuit. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. Attach the positive jumper to positive cable on the battery and the negative jumper to a good chassis ground. If the unit starts, then the battery is bad. If the unit still clicks, your solenoid is bad. The clicking sound is coming from the solenoid where the is not holding the contacts tight.

Thanks Rivets - tried this and she fired right up!.As a doublecheck, I then tried jumping again with the negative attached - nothing.

So, can I take it I need a new battery ?

Thanks everyone for your input , you have saved the day

best regards

Steve

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That's what I would be doing. If I had it in the shop I would put in a battery with at least 375 CCA (cold cranking Amps).