Export thread

Engine won`t start after Winter break

C

cairnx

Hi all,

I have a "Rally" branded Ride on mower powered by a 12.5 HP OHV Briggs and Stratton engine model no. 219807 , type 0388 B1.

The mower is approx 9 years old and hasn`t missed a beat - until now!.

In short, after a winter break, I can not start the engine. There is a rapid "machine gun" clicking when I turn the key , but nothing else. There is also a feint smell of Sulphur in the air.

I am no expert , but have put in a new spark plug and recharged the battery, but to no avail. If anyone could help point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance

Steve

R

Rivets

To me it sounds like your battery is the problem. Probably have a bad cell and will not take a charge. Have it load tested if possible, or they to jump start it with a known good battery. If jump starting works, replace the battery.

C

cairnx

Thanks for that - I did try jump starting from a car, but not sure it worked - I hooked up the jump leads from my car to the mower , but did not start the car engine (think i read that it would be too much for the mower battery to handle?). Anyway, it made no difference at all, just made the same rapid clicking noise.
Should I try again but with the car engine running ? , or maybe disconnect the car battery from the car before jumping again , or did I do it right meaning it is not the battery which is at fault ?

Do you know what the rapid clicking noise is? - does it mean the starter is ok ?

Appreciate the help, I have little experience of engines (I`m sure you can tell!) so am very grateful for your assistance

best regards

Steve

B

bertsmobile1

remove the spark plug and try to rotate the engine by hand.
let us know what happens and what you find.

C

cairnx

I will do that in the morning (10.30pm here now) and report back - thanks.

M

mechanic mark

R

Rivets

Try jumping the unit this way to remove the battery from the circuit. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. Attach the positive jumper to positive cable on the battery and the negative jumper to a good chassis ground. If the unit starts, then the battery is bad. If the unit still clicks, your solenoid is bad. The clicking sound is coming from the solenoid where the is not holding the contacts tight.

reynoldston

reynoldston

With the smell of sulphur it would tell me that you have a short in the battery.

C

cairnx

Try jumping the unit this way to remove the battery from the circuit. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. Attach the positive jumper to positive cable on the battery and the negative jumper to a good chassis ground. If the unit starts, then the battery is bad. If the unit still clicks, your solenoid is bad. The clicking sound is coming from the solenoid where the is not holding the contacts tight.

Thanks Rivets - tried this and she fired right up!.As a doublecheck, I then tried jumping again with the negative attached - nothing.

So, can I take it I need a new battery ?

Thanks everyone for your input , you have saved the day

best regards

Steve

R

Rivets

That's what I would be doing. If I had it in the shop I would put in a battery with at least 375 CCA (cold cranking Amps).

C

cairnx

Thanks Rivets - ordered this morning, though I could not find a battery with suitable dimensions with that kind of cca rating. Had to go with 310 cca - fingers crossed it will be ok as temperatures here rarely see 0 degrees centigrade. Arrives tomorrow, so we`ll see.

BlazNT

BlazNT

That's what I would be doing. If I had it in the shop I would put in a battery with at least 375 CCA (cold cranking Amps).

Where do you get a lawn mower battery with 375 CCA? The largest I have ever found is 350 CCA and they cost a bundle.

R

Rivets

My mistake, I should have said 375 CA, which would be about 300 CCA.

B

bertsmobile1

The biggest CCA and by a very long margin the best possible battery you can fit is the spiral cell , pressure valve regulated, adsorbent glass matt types of which Optima are one brand name.
They will outperform any other battery and give the longest possible life ( usually 10 years or more ) won't self discharge over winter and pay for themselves 20 times over.
However they cost real money , cant be seen so wont inflate egos so I doubt any of you will fit them.
We run them on all the tractors, I ran them in all the hire cars and all the delivery vans.
Gob smacked onlookers many times when I managed to jump start very large trucks with the tiny battery in my van.

BlazNT

BlazNT

The biggest CCA and by a very long margin the best possible battery you can fit is the spiral cell , pressure valve regulated, adsorbent glass matt types of which Optima are one brand name.
They will outperform any other battery and give the longest possible life ( usually 10 years or more ) won't self discharge over winter and pay for themselves 20 times over.
However they cost real money , cant be seen so wont inflate egos so I doubt any of you will fit them.
We run them on all the tractors, I ran them in all the hire cars and all the delivery vans.
Gob smacked onlookers many times when I managed to jump start very large trucks with the tiny battery in my van.

I have googled them and can not find a single one for lawn mowers. One day soon I hope.

B

bertsmobile1

I have googled them and can not find a single one for lawn mowers. One day soon I hope.

You won't find one listed for lawnmowers, just order one with dimensions that will fit in your cavity. OOH that did not wead the way I was intending :ashamed:
The terminal are in the center of each side so they are not handed.
You really only need the starting battery ( yellow top) but the marine battery has the convienant stainless steel screw down terminals.
Otherwise you will need to buy a clamp on terminal with a screw on connector to wire it iin.

C

cairnx

A final thankyou to everyone for the help - new battery is now installed and the mower is working like a dream again. Happy days.