Drain hose replace on 2004 hustler 60 inch super z model 927038. With sideways Kohler engine.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Drain hose replace on 2004 hustler 60 inch super z model 927038. With sideways Kohler engine.
Like a customer that has a Caddy where the intake manifold has to be removed just to change the spark plugs.

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Drain hose replace on 2004 hustler 60 inch super z model 927038. With sideways Kohler engine.
yep..........

Campinman

Threads
And sometimes the design of the engine would allow for easy and simple maintenance and repair, but that same engine mounted into a piece of equipment may not be maintenance or repair friendly.

If people think the engine is hard to access on a mower and complain about what it takes to repair or service the engine needs to go open the engine covers on a skid steer. Or see what it takes to change the spark plugs in their vehicle. Some auto engines have the spark plugs under the intake manifold and require removing the manifold to access the coils and plugs.

Drain hose replace on 2004 hustler 60 inch super z model 927038. With sideways Kohler engine.
I need to replace the drain hose and I was wondering if anybody has a link to a video on how to do it. It looks like you have to lift the engine up to get the failed one off. What a horrible design. I am the original owner and I did a fix on it but it only lasted 10 years and now it’s leaking and I need to replace it. Also, if you have figured out something different to put on there, any help would be appreciated. I have heard you have to remove all the pulleys and belts from underneath and lift the whole engine up to replace this. What a nightmare. I want to do it myself and I’m sure it’s extremely expensive if I take it to a shop.
So I’m wondering why all the shops are saying you have to lift engine to replace this oil drain on my mower. What I did was just cut all rubber away and use a thin wall socket on it and I removed it. I guess they just like getting the work or are following some guideline from manufacturer. Saved either a lot of work for me or paying 350$ to do the job. Wtf.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
So I’m wondering why all the shops are saying you have to lift engine to replace this oil drain on my mower. What I did was just cut all rubber away and use a thin wall socket on it and I removed it. I guess they just like getting the work or are following some guideline from manufacturer. Saved either a lot of work for me or paying 350$ to do the job. Wtf.
How long did it take you to replace the drain hose on your mower.

Campinman

Threads
How long did it take you to replace the drain hose on your mower.
The way I did it. 15 minutes. They call for 2 hours Lifting motor to do it. It did take me a sleepless night to come up with an idea. I thought I’d try it in the morning and it worked.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sometimes you get lucky and can find ways of getting around the standard procedure. I have come across a few drain plug hoses that you had to at least loosen the engine mounting bolts because the frame would act like a lock on the wrench hex preventing if from turning more than a 1/8 turn even if you could get to it with a wrench.

Just an example I worked on a 3 cylinder gas Kubota in a Z turn and a similar 3 cylinder diesel Kubota in a mini skid steer this year that both needed the fan belt tightened. The gas engine took about 10 minutes to loosen the alternator bolts and tighten the belt. The diesel took 2 people 1.5 hours to tighten the belt. One person had to reach over the top of the engine between the fan shroud and reach through the belt to put a flex head wrench on the lower alternator belt after finding it by feel because the only way to physically see the bolt was with a mirror looking straight down. The other person had to use a wobble socket and a long extension to get enough clearance between the engine block and the frame with the ratchet to be able to turn the nut.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sorta like those plastic drain valves on the Kawasaki engine that are a double "D" nut. Have to pull the engine to use a wrench or crowfoot wrench. SO I just make my own tool for doing it while the engines are still on the ZTRs.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorta like those plastic drain valves on the Kawasaki engine that are a double "D" nut. Have to pull the engine to use a wrench or crowfoot wrench. SO I just make my own tool for doing it while the engines are still on the ZTRs.
I just used a utility knife to cut off the plastic hose barb, & threaded the remaining drain out. Then threaded in my Kawasaki OE drain line.
I did use a 1" crowfoot to give it a snug when it was weeping. Till I got to do the hose swap.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The problem I ran into the Kawasaki engines here is that a regular crowfoot will not work. That why I had to make my own modified crowfoot tool out an old idler arm.

But these plastic drain valves are nothing but trouble as they will leak over time and you are constantly having to replace them.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I hear ya man. The hex on mine was in right position so crowfoot did work.

I would never replace one plastic drain w/another.. My plastic drain weeped, so I added a piece (1" long) of drain hose, I blocked it on one end, & 2 baby hose clamps on it till I did the Hose swap.. Never a hint of a leak.

Last edited: