Drain hose replace on 2004 hustler 60 inch super z model 927038. With sideways Kohler engine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Drain hose replace on 2004 hustler 60 inch super z model 927038. With sideways Kohler engine.
Most likely you will need to remove the pulleys to get to the engine mounting bolts to at least change the angle on the engine to get to the drain hose. Kohler engines are bad for having the hex on the drain plug fitting or hose so close to the mower frame you have to remove the engine just to be able to turn the hex.

Campinman

Threads
  • / Drain hose replace on 2004 hustler 60 inch super z model 927038. With sideways Kohler engine.
Most likely you will need to remove the pulleys to get to the engine mounting bolts to at least change the angle on the engine to get to the drain hose. Kohler engines are bad for having the hex on the drain plug fitting or hose so close to the mower frame you have to remove the engine just to be able to turn the hex.
Thank you very much. I guess you said that because there is NO other way to get it off. If I could get it off would be easy to add the new one that extends out. So the hose does not even have a metal nipple or anything sticking out to try and get ahold of. If I try Anything else I will just mess it all up. I sure do not want to mar the threads inside. I guess I’m going to have to take it in. It just makes me so angry that something so simple will be so much to fix. I do have a lot of tools and some experience. I just can not find any info on how to do the job. I’m going to call hustler see if they can help. I can not find any videos.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
A lot of equipment is getting harder to repair what is simple things. I wish those designer had to work on the equipment for a living.

But yes the PTO clutch has to come off and it might be stuck on if they didn' use anti-seize compound. The engine drive will hard to get due tight drive belt. Even with the drive idler fully retracted the Super Z here I have to walk off and on the drive belt. Then you can access the four engine mounting bolts. The Briggs engine here is mounted with thru bolts so I have remove the RH rear wheel to get into the area with a stubby wrench as there is no clearance to access the nut otherwise. What a pain as it also has two ground cables, flat washer, and lock washer under the nut. Sometime I have use my sponge forceps to hold the wrench.

Campinman

Threads
I cannot believe what I did and it worked. I thought I’d try it. I ground down one of my cheap old sockets and was able to get it on the drain hose nut after cutting interference out of the way. It came off!! No lifting engine. The hustler replacement part for the piece of crap that came on it is basically a pipe you just screw in with a nipple for a drain hose and a valve on it to open and close to drain.

Attachments

• IMG_8049.png
    IMG_8049.png
    926.2 KB · Views: 26

Lawn Addict
Threads
A socket called a "Crows foot, would likely have got in there. 1702950862403.jpeg

Mr. Mower

Threads
A lot of equipment is getting harder to repair what is simple things. I wish those designer had to work on the equipment for a living.

It is intentionally and deliberately designed that way.

Reason being....so that you (the owner/buyer of the product) would get discouraged and not want to mess with the hassle, etc. and just take it to an Authorized Service center (hopefully Hustler) and have them do it. Of course if it is not under warranty you (the customer) are going to have to pay for all parts and labor, etc.

That's the way todays many common vehicle engines are now designed.....so that the customer has to take it to the vehicles service center for repairs, maintenance, etc.

Remember it's now all about making $$$$$$$ !

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is intentionally and deliberately designed that way.

Reason being....so that you (the owner/buyer of the product) would get discouraged and not want to mess with the hassle, etc. and just take it to an Authorized Service center (hopefully Hustler) and have them do it. Of course if it is not under warranty you (the customer) are going to have to pay for all parts and labor, etc.

That's the way todays many common vehicle engines are now designed.....so that the customer has to take it to the vehicles service center for repairs, maintenance, etc.

Remember it's now all about making $$$$$$$ !
The problem is even us in the shops get frustrated at the stupidity of some designs. Things like having mower frames design with square carriage bolt holes and the dang OEM factory uses regular cap screws where you have to unbolt the whole fender pan just to get a wrench of the hex head when if a carriage bolt used it is simply a slight pull while loosening and tightening on the nuts. Lots of wasted labor time period. Even if you are charging for it, it is still a waste of time.

Or like having take an ATV half apart just to remove the carburetor.

Mr. Mower

Threads
I totally agree!

At first I used to think, how could anyone with an engineering degree design something so cumbersome and senseless.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I think most designs are more factory assembly line friendly than tech friendly. Otherwords what is the quickest way to assemble these machines to cut costs.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
And sometimes the design of the engine would allow for easy and simple maintenance and repair, but that same engine mounted into a piece of equipment may not be maintenance or repair friendly.

If people think the engine is hard to access on a mower and complain about what it takes to repair or service the engine needs to go open the engine covers on a skid steer. Or see what it takes to change the spark plugs in their vehicle. Some auto engines have the spark plugs under the intake manifold and require removing the manifold to access the coils and plugs.