Dont let your equipment be an excuse to not do a great Job!

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Dont let your equipment be an excuse to not do a great Job!
As you said you started with residential equipment. Blew it and bought the heavy gauge tools when money was getting good. I think that pretty much proves what I said equipment that's meant and designed to be used once a week by a homeowner doesn't work for long and can cost you money for repairs as well as clients when your not there to do the job. The lack of start up expenses or funding is the biggest reason lawn-care businesses fail. You can get some good Commercial equipment used for a lot less than $10,000.

I don't know for you, but we all need to start somewhere! Money was tight when I started. I bought a mower and it did a good job. I was ready to get a new one when ever I would get really tired of this old one and that happened. I couldn't just walk out the door and buy a truck, trailer, mowers, trimmers, blower and misc. I don't know many companies that started off the batt with all of that. Even if you buy used it is a lot of money. Also, buying used is sometimes buying another persons' problems. It's used! It will need attention = $$$

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know for you, but we all need to start somewhere! Money was tight when I started. I bought a mower and it did a good job. I was ready to get a new one when ever I would get really tired of this old one and that happened. I couldn't just walk out the door and buy a truck, trailer, mowers, trimmers, blower and misc. I don't know many companies that started off the batt with all of that. Even if you buy used it is a lot of money. Also, buying used is sometimes buying another persons' problems. It's used! It will need attention = $$$

Nobody said the way you started was wrong. I just said like many others that most that do start without proper funding are doomed from the onset. I kinda started the way you did but I started with a few clients and I stayed that way until I had the money for a trailer, mower, trimmer, edger, blower etc. then I expanded the business when I had the equipment to provide and do the jobs the client wanted and expected to have done. After I expanded I backed up all my equipment one piece at a time and I continually back up equipment all the time.

Last edited:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads

This is the way to start. What ric was saying is that the equipment you started with cannot hold up so you ended up buying better stuff. No you dint start with 10g but eventually that's what you will need and the more expensive equipment has better cut quality with higher torque and higher blade tip speed. Walk speed is faster making you more efficient. Now I know I can mow my lawn with a cheap craftsman and mow the same lawn with my commercial Toro the Toro will leave a better cut and do it faster. It will last longer and have less down time. If you continue to use residential machines you will spend more money(time) fixing and replacing parts and replacing machines than if you suck it up and buy a expensive machine.

I did a great job with my residential equipment that's why I still have those customers but there is no way in hell I'm going back to cheap equipment

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is the way to start. What ric was saying is that the equipment you started with cannot hold up so you ended up buying better stuff. No you dint start with 10g but eventually that's what you will need and the more expensive equipment has better cut quality with higher torque and higher blade tip speed. Walk speed is faster making you more efficient. Now I know I can mow my lawn with a cheap craftsman and mow the same lawn with my commercial Toro the Toro will leave a better cut and do it faster. It will last longer and have less down time. If you continue to use residential machines you will spend more money(time) fixing and replacing parts and replacing machines than if you suck it up and buy a expensive machine.

I did a great job with my residential equipment that's why I still have those customers but there is no way in hell I'm going back to cheap equipment

You are 100% right. That is what I was thinking.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads

homeowner equipment will not work for a commercial lawn care business period. if that's your plan just stop now while you're ahead. also why would you start without a truck and trailer anyway. its OK to want the American dream, I get it everybody wants to build something from nothing, but very few people have the luck, skills, and drive to do so. I saved every penny I could during a 15 month deployment to Iraq, because I was getting tired of it. when I got back I bought a truck, ZTR, stihl string trimmer, hand held blower and old used trailer, lived frugal busted my butt knocking on doors, doing the best I knew how with the few customers I picked up. things grew from there, I've always been able to be reliable because I bought some nice stuff out of the gate, but also do all our jobs with high attention to details, myself and my employees are held to a high standard of personal appearance. like so many of the successful LCO's on here you have to separate yourself from the masses and have quality equipment. because the first time you don't show your customers are calling, seeing the equipment quality, dress code, and cleaner faster cut.

i got it its hard to compete I live with the overhead and trying to stand next to the brickmans or other big money competition. but I can offer a company with the same caliber equipment but I'm small enough to also offer personalized service.

Ric can offer the same with his equipment, but will most likely continue to flourish in his area because he uses nice commercial equipment with personalized service.just an example there's many more on here, like that but the common thread is they don't skimp on their equipment, it just causes heartache in the end.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess people don't understand me cause I explain stuff like sh$t. I started working at a garden center. When I had money I got a truck and a mower. I used a cheap trimmer and blower. From there I got better equipment with the new contracts that I had. To this day I add more and more equipment to my fleet to offer a personnalized service and have an even better income. I am a firm believer in commercial equipment. Since I have touched a commercial mower, the only thing that I own and gets used daily is commercial grade. According to me you absolutely have to have commercial tools to do a good job (less down time, etc.), but you can start out with residential stuff to be able to get enough money to invest instead of being in debt. The good ole saying "pay it cash".

LoCo86

Threads
I guess people don't understand me cause I explain stuff like sh$t. I started working at a garden center. When I had money I got a truck and a mower. I used a cheap trimmer and blower. From there I got better equipment with the new contracts that I had. To this day I add more and more equipment to my fleet to offer a personnalized service and have an even better income. I am a firm believer in commercial equipment. Since I have touched a commercial mower, the only thing that I own and gets used daily is commercial grade. According to me you absolutely have to have commercial tools to do a good job (less down time, etc.), but you can start out with residential stuff to be able to get enough money to invest instead of being in debt. The good ole saying "pay it cash".

I got you from the beginning some people either don't read all of the post or they just like to hear themselves talk.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I got you from the beginning some people either don't read all of the post or they just like to hear themselves talk.

Good to know someone understood me out here.

Polaraco

Threads
Starting any business take pride, ability, some money, and above all, a positive attitude. Treat people how you want to be treated.

I remember I started my business in 1990 with 100 dollars. Gotta creep before you run

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Starting any business take pride, ability, some money, and above all, a positive attitude. Treat people how you want to be treated.

I remember I started my business in 1990 with 100 dollars. Gotta creep before you run

I agree Gotta creep before you run and pride and ability are a big plus but it also takes money to make money. Now don't get me wrong because anyone can go out and mow lawns with a push mower or lawn tractor and make a few dollars and call themselves a Lawn-care business but what ever you think the cost are for starting a realistic lawn-care business, you can double that figure. Licenses, insurance and marketing alone can kill you and you haven't even touched a lawn say nothing about adding in the cost of equipment. Lack of funding and not having the right tools for the job can cost you because you're not making enough money to pay for your time.