Dixie Chopper Yanmar Diesel dies

Molina

Threads
When you turn the key to start the pull in circuit pulls the solenoid and opens the valve. When you turn the key back to the run position the hold in circuit kicks in and holds in open while it is running.
I pulled the air filter out and replaced it with the same OEM (Donaldson PN 181050). It was not clogged up but it was dirty.

I also found the temperature sensor on the thermostat housing “terminal” had some play - looks like it was over tightened and terminal may have broken inside. It has one wire terminal connected to the stud, which is tightened, but the terminal lug on the housing has some play. I don’t know the part number. The gauge indicator on the mower panel reads from 0-280 degrees (f).

Chopper one

Forum Newbie
Threads
I need some assistance with my YANMAR Diesel Dixie Chopper. It’s a XWD3500 with a 60” deck. It’s approximately 13 years old with 661 hours on the original engine. I’m the original owner. Problem - It cranks and starts up immediately (no issue), but after 30-45 minutes of being on with blades engaged it just shuts down - just like turning off the ignition//no smoke. It will start up again, but after 2-3 minutes shuts down again. I let it set for 30-45 minutes then cranks up again and won’t shut down again for another 30-45 minutes then shuts down again. I’ve replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, drained water separator, drained both fuel tanks to no avail. Guidance is much appreciated.
I have a xxwd500072 48 horsepower yanmar with turbo diesel. I have had similar problems with mine. It is one of two issues.
Firstly, there is a small filter that in my opinion that should not be on the mower. If you raise the seat, you will see a SMALL inline filter not far from the fuel pump. Secondly, I have replaced the diesel shutoff switch about 4 times since 2005.
There is not much that can go wrong with a diesel. Hope this helps.

Molina

Threads
I have a xxwd500072 48 horsepower yanmar with turbo diesel. I have had similar problems with mine. It is one of two issues.
Firstly, there is a small filter that in my opinion that should not be on the mower. If you raise the seat, you will see a SMALL inline filter not far from the fuel pump. Secondly, I have replaced the diesel shutoff switch about 4 times since 2005.
There is not much that can go wrong with a diesel. Hope this helps.
Wow. Thanks for your input. I just changed the inline fuel filter (just before the fuel pump) yesterday Oct 15, 2023. I have checked everything else and figured this could be the culprit.

Question- where is the fuel shutoff switch. I have not checked/replaced it. ???

Molina

Threads
Wow. Thanks for your input. I just changed the inline fuel filter (just before the fuel pump) yesterday Oct 15, 2023. I have checked everything else and figured this could be the culprit.

Molina

Threads
Where is the fuel shut off switch? Can someone show me location and/or a photo of it? I would really appreciate it. Thanks

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Inspect fuel tanks for dirt & debris. Pick up a small bottle of Diesel Fuel Treatment & follow directions on bottle before adding to fuel tank.
OEM Dixie Chopper Parts are listed above.
See Operators Manual for your Model #

Last edited:

Chopper one

Forum Newbie
Threads
[ATTACHREUSE]

Attachments

• cut off.png
    cut off.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 6

Molina

Threads
I wanted to close the loop on my forum question. A BIG THANKS to all who provide recommendations to my Dixie Chopper problem.

After replacing the in-line fuel filter pre fuel pump I was able to get a full 1 acre cut without having my Dixie Chopper shutting down. I will cut my 1 acre again this coming week and see if it holds up. Again-Thanks forum Brothers.