Dixie Chopper Yanmar Diesel dies

Molina

Threads
I need some assistance with my YANMAR Diesel Dixie Chopper. It’s a XWD3500 with a 60” deck. It’s approximately 13 years old with 661 hours on the original engine. I’m the original owner. Problem - It cranks and starts up immediately (no issue), but after 30-45 minutes of being on with blades engaged it just shuts down - just like turning off the ignition//no smoke. It will start up again, but after 2-3 minutes shuts down again. I let it set for 30-45 minutes then cranks up again and won’t shut down again for another 30-45 minutes then shuts down again. I’ve replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, drained water separator, drained both fuel tanks to no avail. Guidance is much appreciated.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you checked air filter? Post model & serial numbers from engine data plate. Air or water cooled engine, thanks Mark
See Troubleshooting Guide above. "Engine overheating" may be problem after reading symptoms you posted.
Looks like your engine is water cooled, impeller loose & slipping on water pump shaft & bearings may be on their way out. Water Pump may be a recall item, I would call Dixie Chopper with all Engine Information. Replace thermostat every time you replace a water pump. Being 10 yrs. old I would use new antifreeze. Let us know how it goes, thanks Mark

Last edited:

Bertrrr

Threads
Might look at a possible safety switch shutting you down - if it is doing the same thing after you worked on the fuel system - either you still have a fuel delivery issue or a safety switch is shorting out - I think if it was fuel you would see and notice a bad running machine before falling on it's face, Being it suddenly quits it would make me look at safety switch or your fuel shutoff circuit.

Molina

Threads
I need some assistance with my YANMAR Diesel Dixie Chopper. It’s a XWD3500 with a 60” deck. It’s approximately 13 years old with 661 hours on the original engine. I’m the original owner. Problem - It cranks and starts up immediately (no issue), but after 30-45 minutes of being on with blades engaged it just shuts down - just like turning off the ignition//no smoke. It will start up again, but after 2-3 minutes shuts down again. I let it set for 30-45 minutes then cranks up again and won’t shut down again for another 30-45 minutes then shuts down again. I’ve replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, drained water separator, drained both fuel tanks to no avail. Guidance is much appreciated.

4getgto

Threads
Does it have a fuel shut off solenoid.?
If so wondering if that could be acting up for you..
Not sure if they fail open or closed though..

Molina

Threads
Have you checked air filter? Post model & serial numbers from engine data plate. Air or water cooled engine, thanks Mark
See Troubleshooting Guide above. "Engine overheating" may be problem after reading symptoms you posted.
Looks like your engine is water cooled, impeller loose & slipping on water pump shaft & bearings may be on their way out. Water Pump may be a recall item, I would call Dixie Chopper with all Engine Information. Replace thermostat every time you replace a water pump. Being 10 yrs. old I would use new antifreeze. Let us know how it goes, thanks Mark
I just checked the engine model number. It reads Yanmar Diesel engine model number
3TNV88-D

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Last edited:

Molina

Threads
I am going to look at all areas you all provided. Water pump, fuel solenoid, fuel shut off switch, air filter etc. these are areas I did not look at. This is Ralph my number if you have any questions 361-255-0099

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fuel shut off solenoid has two circuits one to pull it in and one to hold it in. Been a long time had one that the hold in circuit wiring had a bad connection.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you turn the key to start the pull in circuit pulls the solenoid and opens the valve. When you turn the key back to the run position the hold in circuit kicks in and holds in open while it is running.