Cub Cadet with 22 hp Kawasaki hard to start

Kearney

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Cub cadet rzt with a 22 hp v-twin kawasaki. Last year it was getting hard to start and I found that the spring fell off the auto decompression on the cam. This week I replaced the spring put everything back together. New battery, gas, fuel filter, cleaned the carb, cleaned the coils/gapped them, and adjusted the valves. Of course it took a little while to get it started with all the lines dry but it finally started up. I took it for a spin then parked it. I waited about 10 min and started it up and it started fine. Waited an hour and it started. Next morning it will not start. It has spark. Fuel will fill up the air filter bowl area as i try to start it. Is that normal? I dry the excess fuel out and try to start it again and it continues to fill up with gas there. Im not sure if this is coming from the unburned fuel in the cylinders or dumping from the carb. If i continue to crank it will backfire through the carb with a big bang.

Ive pulled the carb apart 3 times and cleaned it. The float seems to be working fine. No cracks or fuel in the float.

briggs

Threads
I have a Cub cadet rzt with a 22 hp v-twin kawasaki. Last year it was getting hard to start and I found that the spring fell off the auto decompression on the cam. This week I replaced the spring put everything back together. New battery, gas, fuel filter, cleaned the carb, cleaned the coils/gapped them, and adjusted the valves. Of course it took a little while to get it started with all the lines dry but it finally started up. I took it for a spin then parked it. I waited about 10 min and started it up and it started fine. Waited an hour and it started. Next morning it will not start. It has spark. Fuel will fill up the air filter bowl area as i try to start it. Is that normal? I dry the excess fuel out and try to start it again and it continues to fill up with gas there. Im not sure if this is coming from the unburned fuel in the cylinders or dumping from the carb. If i continue to crank it will backfire through the carb with a big bang.

Ive pulled the carb apart 3 times and cleaned it. The float seems to be working fine. No cracks or fuel in the float.

its getting to much fuel ..Can u post engine model number thanks

Kearney

Forum Newbie
Threads
The model is FH661V

briggs

Threads
The model is FH661V

just by chance did u take the carb right off the intake manifold to clean it ...If so do it again and check to see if the manifold is warped i had one last year and i pulled my hair out for 2 weeks and i found the plastic manifold was warped and sucking air and that thing would not start unless i gave a shot of gas down carb..I could be wrong but its worth a shot ...Also can i ask how u cleaned the carb

Kearney

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes i took it off at the manifold. It seems tight without any warpage. I cleaned it with just carb cleaner and compressed air. All the jets are open. float needle looks perfect. I put it back together and when i blow through the fuel line it shuts off when i turn the carb upside down so i know the needle is working. Unless the fuel pump puts out more psi than my mouth, does it?

briggs

Threads
Yes i took it off at the manifold. It seems tight without any warpage. I cleaned it with just carb cleaner and compressed air. All the jets are open. float needle looks perfect. I put it back together and when i blow through the fuel line it shuts off when i turn the carb upside down so i know the needle is working. Unless the fuel pump puts out more psi than my mouth, does it?

do u hear a click at the fuel shut off its on the front of carb

Kearney

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes i hooked up just the bowl by itself and watched it open and close

briggs

Threads
Yes i hooked up just the bowl by itself and watched it open and close

i would lean toward that plastic intake take it off and put a straight edge on it if its sucking air it will do that same with the new briggs engines

Kearney

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ive shot it with starting fluid and wasnt getting anything so wouldnt that overcome an air leak?

briggs

Threads
Ive shot it with starting fluid and wasnt getting anything so wouldnt that overcome an air leak?

the only other thing i can see causing this is valve adjustment they may need to be adjusted

i will look up spec on line when i get back