Cub Cadet SC900 Self Propelled no start

jb2873

Threads
Okay I flipped the coil over and set a basic Gap. I had to make a longer wire for the kill switch. Still no spark. I disconnected the kill switch and attempted to start and still nothing. The coil is directly from my local Cub Cadet dealer.

Attachments

• 20240111_170106.jpg
    20240111_170106.jpg
    995.5 KB · Views: 3

jb2873

Threads
Okay I readjusted the coil for the magnetic pick ups. I put them at the minimal clearance in the instructions that were giving above. I'm still not getting anything.20240111_170832.jpg

Freddie21

Threads
Bend the kill switch arm away from the metal bracket when in the run position. It should then contact the other bracket point in the off position.

Reverett

Threads
When you adjusted the coil gap did you rotate the engine to the contact point? That gap does not look right for the area shown in picture

Oddjob

Threads
Okay I flipped the coil over and set a basic Gap. I had to make a longer wire for the kill switch. Still no spark. I disconnected the kill switch and attempted to start and still nothing. The coil is directly from my local Cub Cadet dealer.
With the kill wire disconnected you can’t be shorting out the spark, so the most likely culprit for no spark is a defective coil. Could be a bad magnet/flywheel, but that’s got to be pretty rare. I’d bring the coil back to dealer and let him test it. Maybe put it on another machine in stock and see if it produces a spark.

jb2873

Threads
When you adjusted the coil gap did you rotate the engine to the contact point? That gap does not look right for the area shown in picture
I rotated the flywheel to the magnet points then used a feeler gauge to set gap. I think that's how it should be......?

jb2873

Threads
Bend the kill switch arm away from the metal bracket when in the run position. It should then contact the other bracket point in the off position.
I tried that early on...still, no spark / no run.

MyBillyC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try disconnecting the ground wire from the deadman apparatus. If it starts, your problem is with the control cable, the ground wire or the assembly itself. I lean towards a failing coil, though. Good luck.

jb2873

Threads
With the kill wire disconnected you can’t be shorting out the spark, so the most likely culprit for no spark is a defective coil. Could be a bad magnet/flywheel, but that’s got to be pretty rare. I’d bring the coil back to dealer and let him test it. Maybe put it on another machine in stock and see if it produces a spark.
I think I've tried just about everything to get this to start. It ran like a champ originally, then after a few mowings, it would get harder to start, until eventually it just wouldn't, no matter how many attempts. Weird how each time leading up to this no start situation, it would take maybe 3-4 pulls, then next time it would be 7-8 pulls, then 12-15 then finally nothing...
I'll see if they can check the coil for me (doubt they will put it on another mower....those customer service days are far & few anymore but I'll try. The mower has only had about a dozen mowings on it. I purchased from a friend who used it twice before he realized he needed something much bigger for his property.

jb2873

Threads
Try disconnecting the ground wire from the deadman apparatus. If it starts, your problem is with the control cable, the ground wire or the assembly itself. I lean towards a failing coil, though. Good luck.
I tried that...still nothing. Put a new coil on and still nothing. Wondering if new coil is faulty.