Cub Cadet SC900 Self Propelled no start

MowerNick

Threads
Could you possibly bend the tab away from the brake pad side to give enough clearance or maybe mount the tab to the backside instead? Just a thought.

jb2873

Threads
That’s why I want to see the other side of the switch. Looks to me like the plastic block needs to be rotated counterclockwise when the lever is in the run position. This will not allow contact with the back of the brake pad.
I bent the tab away from the brake pad so that it wouldn't touch in the run position. Still wouldn't start, so I bent it back into its original position. I should have a new coil setup tomorrow. I'll install that and then report back.

jb2873

Threads
Could you possibly bend the tab away from the brake pad side to give enough clearance or maybe mount the tab to the backside instead? Just a thought.
Good suggestion & I tried that, didn't make a difference as far as starting up. I should have my new coil tomorrow and then I'll see what happens after installing it.

jb2873

Threads
Yes the top view was a better pic. I just assumed because it looked similar to the old toro microswitches. I will try looking it back up and see whats going on
I bent the tab away so it would contact during the starting process but nothing. I have new coil coming in tomorrow. I will try it and see what happens & report back to the forum.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Disconnect the kill wire from that terminal and see if it will start. That will tell us a lot. Also I hate bending tabs, will lead to more problems. That’s why I recommended rotating the block.

jb2873

Threads
Disconnect the kill wire from that terminal and see if it will start. That will tell us a lot. Also I hate bending tabs, will lead to more problems. That’s why I recommended rotating the block.
I installed a brand new coil. Still will not start. I put a tester between the spark plug and boot and I'm seeing no spark. I also attempted to disconnect the kill switch wire as suggested and still nothing. I see that there is an adjustment for the coil to be spaced off the flywheel. Not sure what this tolerance should be. Carburetor is definitely pumping fuel because after many many attempts the plug is damp.

jb2873

Threads
This is the new coil installed. I'm not sure what the Gap should be between flywheel and pick ups on coil. I have it fairly close as it is. I'm getting no spark coming out of this brand new coil. Now I'm assuming that the original coil was probably okay but there's something else going on. I've tried to bypass the kill switch by removing the wire off the coil and still nothing. I literally put my hand in line with the spark tester and there's absolutely nothing coming through.
The carburetor is pumping fuel. I cleaned the fuel bowl ( not that that is a spark issue but did it anyways). The spark plug is getting damp after many many attempts to pull start it. The oil level is optimum. I'm just not sure what is going on here LOL
I just saw on the top of the coil it said cylinder side so could this possibly be mounted upside down? LOL I'm going to flip it over and see if that makes a difference and I'll report back.

Attachments

• 20240111_163536.jpg
    20240111_163536.jpg
    921.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

MowerNick

Threads
Yes, it is definitely upside down. You can use a standard business card for the air gap it is not that crucial

jb2873

Threads

Attachments

• 20240111_170106.jpg
    20240111_170106.jpg
    995.5 KB · Views: 5